New Teardrop Hits the Market

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

New Teardrop Hits the Market

Postby Tesman81 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:35 pm

There is a new teardrop on the market called the Mega Mini. It is a six wide model but there is also a five wide model available. The design is similar to a Grasshopper and it is built like a high end fifth wheel or travel trailer - ie high gloss fiberglass exterior, solid oak cabinetry, LED lights, water heater, all aluminum contruction including the chassis. You can see the pictures on the eBay listing or go to the website: www.eye4designconversions.webs.com

Sorry, I tried to submit some pictures but could not get them to show up in the post. So I will add the links to the pictures below.

http://www.eye4designconversions.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=30320242

http://eye4designconversions.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=30320240

http://eye4designconversions.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=30315437

http://eye4designconversions.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=30315431

I will try to put some pictures in the album section.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance,
Eric
www.mega-minis.webs.com

Change your opinions, keep to your principles; change your leaves, keep intact your roots.
~Victor Hugo
Tesman81
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:42 pm

Eric, i see this is your first post so, Welcome...you really should goto the Newbies section and introduce yourself...we always like to learn about our new members...I gotta ask...are you a representative of these folks...looks to be a nice camper, very similar to what we call a "Road Toad".........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:54 pm

Hey Eric,

Welcome to the forum...

A road toad? Yep!!! here it is... this is one of Rik's in progress shots...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:14 pm

could not find the weight, did anyone else see it.... I like the shape.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Mega Mini Weight

Postby Tesman81 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:24 pm

The Mega Mini in the pictures weighs in at: 1170lbs with a hitch weight of 170lbs. Smaller models are closer to the 700 lb mark.
www.mega-minis.webs.com

Change your opinions, keep to your principles; change your leaves, keep intact your roots.
~Victor Hugo
Tesman81
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dreadcptflint » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:29 pm

I am interested in the genesis of this trailer. One point of intrest was why the tongue weight was left at 140 lbs when the axel could have been shifted a little to lighten the load.....
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Tongue Weight

Postby Tesman81 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:38 pm

Typically you want to have the tongue or hitch weight equal to 12-14% of the trailer weight for optimal trailer towing. (This has been a standard used by some of the best companies in the RV Industry for many years .)
This information can also be found in the RV Rating Guide furnished by the RV Consumer Group.

However, if you'd like to have the tongue weight lighter - the teardrop could be fitted with a 45 degree axle i/lo of the -10 degree offset that is currently used. This would raise the ground clearance by 5 inches and would move the axle forward - lightening the hitch weight.

Hope this helps.

Eric
www.mega-minis.webs.com

~Victor Hugo
Tesman81
Teardrop Inspector

Postby iOpine » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:50 pm

I like the looks of this! :thumbsup:

Although to me it looks like a tiny travel trailer rather than a teardrop. If I hadn't recently purchased a Little Guy "Rough Rider" I would definitely take a good hard look at the off-road version.

There appears to be plenty of room in this growing market for another competitor with a distinctive offering. Best of luck to you!
John
"Often wrong, but never in doubt!!"
iOpine
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:44 am

Eric, I see on your options page, you list a NorCold fridge...is this a 3 way RV type fridge?...could you post a pic of one installed?...could you share with us, how it was installed and how y'all dealt with the venting issues?...that would be wonderfully helpful...thanks..........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

refer venting

Postby Tesman81 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:13 pm

Madjack:

The Norcold Refer we use is a 12v/24v version used in boats. By not using gas we can avoid the venting issues. Currently, we offer a solar option for those campers that will not have access to full hook-ups but we're looking into a company that offers a product that will let us use wind power to run the electric system. It only needs 4 mph to work and at 30 mph it shuts itself down to keep the bearings from burning up. I'll fill you in once we get the package put together. :thumbsup:

Eric
www.mega-minis.webs.com

~Victor Hugo
Tesman81
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GregB » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:02 pm

I think I've seen that refer, doesn't that thing pull around 8 amps?

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Norcold Refer Amp Draw

Postby Tesman81 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:01 pm

No, actually the model we use only draws three amps.
www.mega-minis.webs.com

~Victor Hugo
Tesman81
Teardrop Inspector

Postby greg755 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:35 am

It is nice looking. :applause: It is very functional :thumbs up:

But by the time you add on the options it is really pricey... :cry:

I think for that kind of money I could get more bang for the buck from others I have seen on this forum..
"It is a cruel thought, that, when we feel ourselves standing on the firmest ground in every respect, the cursed arts of our secret enemies, combining with other causes, should effect, by depreciating our money, what the open arms of a powerful enemy could not." --Thomas Jefferson to Richard Henry Lee, 1779. ME 4:298, Papers 2:298
greg755
Grand Poobah

Postby madjack » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:55 am

Greg, not to defend their pricing but have you priced out a fully optioned Camp-Inn or So-Cal teardrop??? Their pricing is in line with those top shelf Td's. I can also tell you, that as a person who has looked very seriously into manufacturing Td's, doing everything but open the doors and building, I couldn't build the Alligator Tear for less than 8-10 grand for a 5x10 model...which is why I'm not on business myself........
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby greg755 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:26 am

MadJack,

I guess I'm getting used to rebuilding trailers so I can keep the costs down somewhat....

When I wrote that reply I was looking at the So Cal with their reduced prices so I kind of based it off that.

With that being said to be fair I guess I would really have to look at the materials, workmanship and quality of components.

It is hard to compare apples to apples, BUT by just looking at the pictures I would tend to Go with a So Cal if I were to buy a NEW TD.

I have thought about getting in the biz myself, but my problem is I always want to go "Whole Hog" I wouldn't be happy just making a few I would have to borrow enough money to gear up for a full scale production line...

Do you think Obama will lend me the money? :lol:

Its a nice dream for me but I don't think that my old bones have the energy for such a project even though my brain still thinks I'm 21....

Ive got more projects than I need, so when I am done with the Metz and the Hi Lo I think I;m just going to sell off the other 3 Scottys, the Hi Lo and the Shasta and look around for a 19-20 footer to redo.

That way I will have the 56 for short weekend trips.
The Metz for medium trips 4/5 day.
And the Big Mahunga (whatever that turns out to be) for long trips...

It all sounds good on paper, but Hells Bells who knows what my feeble mind will come up with tomorrow... ;)
"It is a cruel thought, that, when we feel ourselves standing on the firmest ground in every respect, the cursed arts of our secret enemies, combining with other causes, should effect, by depreciating our money, what the open arms of a powerful enemy could not." --Thomas Jefferson to Richard Henry Lee, 1779. ME 4:298, Papers 2:298
greg755
Grand Poobah

Next

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers