Lil Traveler reviews?

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Lil Traveler reviews?

Postby tearhead » Thu May 07, 2009 11:16 pm

We're considering purchasing a 5 by 8 Lil Traveler. I can't tell for sure whether the trailer is insulated--the website doesn't say. Do Lil Traveler owners believe it to be insulated?

Also, does the teardrop stay dry inside if you are traveling in wet weather?

Finally, what customizations have you done? Has anyone thought it necessary to put in a roof fan?
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri May 08, 2009 6:34 am

Based on the specs from the Lil Traveler website, it appears that the walls are 3/4" plywood, with no insulation. I haven't used insulation in the walls in the majority of my builds, and it's not been a problem.

Mike...

P.S. Maybe Lil Traveler can write...

Outside Width 60”
Inside Width 58 ½”
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby iplay10us2 » Fri May 08, 2009 6:55 am

The Silver Shadow by Little Guy and the the Lil Traveler are close to being that same trailer, and the Silver Shadow does have R11 insulation. I guess the best way to find out is email the company.

I have the 5x8 Silver Shadow and I love it. I do have the 3 speed fantastic fan and can't imagine having a tear that didn't have a fan/vent. The Lil Traveler doesn't have one, and the website doesn't even offer one as an accessory.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby hiker chick » Fri May 08, 2009 8:38 am

I don't have a vent fan and wish I did.

So my rec: buy one.

Love the Silver Shadow, don't know anything about the Lil Traveler.

Good luck!

:)
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dagny » Fri May 08, 2009 8:51 am

I have a 2006 Silver Shadow and it has a small vent fan from the cabin thru to the galley. There are two round vents in the hatch area to give the fan air when the hatch is closed. I asked Chris at Little Guy if he recommended I add a larger fan in the roof and he said no. Pleasant Valley has been building them with the small fans in the wall and he figured if they weren't working for folks they would change the construction. I have only camped in it in the garage so far, :lol: , but it seemed to work fine all 3 nights. Ask Curt to check the cabin. I see the round vents in the picture of the one you are looking at, but the interior is a bit different than mine, so I can't see the fan.

The rainy trip home from OH, there was some water that got in the cabin at the windows onto the bed and dripped down onto the storage wood. Not much, but noticable. Not sure if sealing the tiny vents on the windows is advisable, or just place a towel near each door if traveling in the rain. Anyone else?
Dagny
Teardrop Advisor

Postby iplay10us2 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:20 am

I believe the newer model Silver Shadows do not have the little vents on the side or the one through to the galley. That is now a feature of the Lil Travelers. The Silver Shadow used to be made by Pleasant Valley and now they are manufactured by Little Guy. The vents were one of the things that were changed when Little Guy started manufacturing the Silver Shadow themselves. I was told this by Scott from Little Guy when I called to ask why my Silver Shadow didn't have the little vents pictured on the side that you can see in some of the pictures of Silver Shadows.

For me, the fantastic fan is a must-have.
Susann
iplay10us2
Silver Donating Member

Postby NW_Subie » Fri May 08, 2009 10:36 am

The Pleasant Valley website had more construction photos at one time. I'm pretty sure the photos showed insulation.

I was told by Pleasant Valley that they do not offer a top vent because of the possibility of leaks.

I was disappointed by the lack of galley space for a cooler in both the 5x8 Silver Shadow and Lil Traveler. 5x10 has a lot more galley space.
NW_Subie
Teardrop Master

Postby FireLion » Fri May 08, 2009 5:16 pm

The Little Traveler does indeed have enough space for Coleman steel belted cooler on the floor (right side) of the galley. By my way of thinking, if there's not enough room, then you're taking too much stuff. I took too much on my 1st couple of trips but have pared down my supplies to the bare minimum.
If I had it to do over again, I would still buy a Pleasant Valley teardrop! It's my 'wheel estate'. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
'How can ya get away from it all if ya take it all with ya?'
2004 Ford Escape Ltd.
2012 Coleman tent-no wheels, no A/C, no hitch
FireLion
500 Club

Postby caseydog » Fri May 08, 2009 6:00 pm

We have two threads going on this topic. The OP may want to check out the other one, too.

http://tnttt.com/viewto ... highlight=

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby sonar37 » Tue May 19, 2009 9:23 pm

We love our lil traveler and camped in it every weekend last summer never had a problem with leaks or air circulation. We live and camp mostly in northern Michigan stayed out in the camper in 20 degree weather snug as two bugs in a rug. The galley to the front is insulated but as Mike says the sides are 3/4 ply. We stay dry and warm in ours plenty of room for the Two of us and we are very glad we bought it from Pleasant Valley in Sugar creek Ohio.

8) Rob
How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire? ~Author Unknown~
sonar37
Teardrop Master

Okay, now we own one!

Postby tearhead » Wed May 20, 2009 4:46 pm

We now own (yay!) a Lil Traveler Silver Spirit 5 by 8. Really nice, very pleased! The interior is beautiful, but not much for storage space (expected that). What's there is beautifully done. There's a ceiling light and a switch for the fan, which is housed in the middle of the galley area behind a door that doesn't seem to open, that has a nifty outline of a teardrop picked out in drilled holes. There are vent holes in the side of the galley for air intake. I'm betting it would be a good idea to stick some duct tape over those if towing in rain.

The only surprise for me was that the galley is shallow. Hard to tell that from the pictures on the website. I think it's too shallow to carry a cooler back there unless it was really small. The drawer and shelf are narrow but will be handy. The mattresses (split queen) are super terrific! I see no need to add anything to that. We decided to go with a full size comforter (we actually got in and tried it with the comforter!) and had enough to cover us both. A twin was under consideration. It would have fit on top of the mattress without folding, but we thought we might not have enough to both keep covered at night. More later, after we actually USE the camper!
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby nawlinsteardrop » Wed May 20, 2009 5:27 pm

We had the 5 X 10 Silver Shadow. It was a really nice trailer.

We made sheets for the mattress using regular King Sheets, i think.

We found them to be very well insulated. From noise for sure.

Someone died in the camp site next to us one night. Fire turcks police, 15 to 20 people making god awfull noise to help this guy. Wouldn't know, never heard them.
Chad

Life sometimes throws you a curve ball, be flexible and courageous enough to still knock it out of the park.

http://www.outsidesupply.com

http://blog.outsidesupply.com
nawlinsteardrop
Teardrop Master

Postby sonar37 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Congrats :thumbsup: Tearhead hope you enjoy your new little traveler and spend many fun filled weekends using it. Don't worry about the cooler to much we get plenty of food in our coleman that sits in the back of our 5X8 little traveler. We carry another cooler for drinks in the trunk or the back of the truck. travel lite and you will always have a better time. To much crap on a campsite can be a burden.

Rob 8)
How is it that one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire? ~Author Unknown~
sonar37
Teardrop Master

Postby tearhead » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:23 pm

Thanks, Rob--That's our style anyway, to travel light. I just can't imagine a cooler fitting in there, though. Do you know how many gallons yours is?
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby NW_Subie » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:38 am

I was disappointed by the lack of galley space for a cooler in both the 5x8 Silver Shadow and Lil Traveler. 5x10 has a lot more galley space.

The only surprise for me was that the galley is shallow. Hard to tell that from the pictures on the website. I think it's too shallow to carry a cooler back there unless it was really small.

As I mentioned before, that was my biggest disappointment with the 5x8 Pleasant Valley and LG Silver Shadow.
NW_Subie
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers