So-Cal teardrops

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Postby Route66 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:00 pm

Dave Lackie wrote:Grettings,

Back from the trip to So-Cal with a signed order for a trailer. You guys are really right Mike is great to work with. He took time to explain their ideas on galley and interior set up, then said "we can build whatever you want". Their shop was very clean and organized and was fun seeing the Kenwood project trailers (see so cal website photo gallery projects). Got to see and experience 2- 5x9 sold units plus their off road unit. Fit and finish is really great- only down was the plugs in the birch ply from their suppliers but Mike assured me he would work around as many as he could. I was really impressed with the joints there was less than an 1/8 on any seam (probabaly more like a 1/16) then the joint is calked and trimed. Bottom line for me a great design with high quality workmanship!

Hiker Chick- any interest in selling your springbar canopy? If so PM me and we can talk. I understand about the weight, a friend has a 10x10 tent
which weights about 60 lbs. Once up that sucker is bomb proof just don't want to haul it far.

Dave

Hello Dave . . . I'm just catching up on things here on the forum and haven't been posting/reading a lot .

I'm the guy with SoCal on the Honda forum . . . hiker chick is my press agent and is writing my biography. (hc - I will send the gratuity payment in the mail as soon as my stimulus money arrives from DC ; ) )

If you have any questions on the SoCal, feel free to PM me or post here . . . as you found out, Mike and Gabe are really great guys and dedicated to their product.

- Mike

Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in . . . - Mark Twain :)
Route66
Teardrop Master

Postby Dave Lackie » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Mike,

Sent a PM with a question. Just back from a 13 day trip to Iowa and had a great time really enjoyed the trailer. I really like your table and am thinking of building one.

Dave
Dave Lackie
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dave Lackie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:28 am

mike,

How are you using the Kirkham car canopies with your tear? I can't tell from the picts how you are attaching them.
What is the canopy you have over the galley?

Thanks

Dave
Dave Lackie
Teardrop Builder

Postby hiker chick » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:31 am

Mike's teardrop is set up with a roof rack, I think that's how he attaches the Kirkham's canopy.

:)
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Dave Lackie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:32 pm

I think your right, he must move the rack from the car to the tear, I see the brackets on the tear.

Dave
Dave Lackie
Teardrop Builder

Postby Route66 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:57 pm

Well . . . actually the Jackalope supports everything . . . :lightbulb:

Sorry I didn't respond earlier Dave; I actually have some pics I'm trying to find that show the detail.

It is a standard Yakima rack that now stays with the trailer . . . I replaced the Kirkham brow pole with a piece of schedule 80 3/4 PVC (you bend it to slide the Kirkham on and it springs back really taut) which fits the Yak adapter mounts that in turn mount to the Yak metal bars to get the 90 degree turn.

I slide the Kirkham in about a foot on the metal yak bars so there is no gap between the edge of the Tear and the edge of the canopy (and no leaks or rain). The vertical poles are Kelty adjustables

The really big tarp is a MSR Outfitter Para wing (200 sq ft) with a bunch of extra Kelty poles. Very, very, very waterproof. Lots of guy lines however (7 guy points).

Check REI for more info on that MSR wing and the Kelty poles . . . I'll keep looking for the detail pics and post them soon (I hope)

Mike -

Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in . . . - Mark Twain :)
Route66
Teardrop Master

Nice trailer

Postby So-Cal Teardrops » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:27 am

Mike, long time no see.

You're trailer is looking good.
So-Cal Teardrops
Teardrop Master

Re: Nice trailer

Postby Route66 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:53 pm

So-Cal Teardrops wrote:Mike, long time no see.

You're trailer is looking good.

Thanks Gabe !!

Still going strong (although today it is sitting up on jackstands in the middle of a 20 deg F garage all tucked away for Winter)

It is seeing a lot of the Midwest. I'll be headed to the Big Crossroads Event in Indiana in July so So-Cal TD will be represented !!

Great job on the revamped So-Cal website and product line ! I like the "Diamond Deck" option.

Route66
Teardrop Master

Postby David Hughes » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:21 am

Hi folks,
I have been looking at the So-Cal TD's for quite some time now and have been off the forum for a while, but I'm still looking at the So-Cal 5 X 11. I'm looking at the extra size for doing some long trips, maybe 3 months. I see So Cal has a dealer in North Carolina now and I'm hoping to get down there to see the So-Cals. I've talked to the folks out in Calif. and they seem very nice. My questions are has anyone bought and put thier kits together? If so how do you feel about them? The So-Cal looks like a top of the line trailer and I hope to check them out soon. I'm in Ohio and don't know of anyone in this area that owns one. You folks that own So-Cals have any thoughts on the 5 X 11's?

Route66, that sure looks like a nice set up. I'm looking at getting a half ton crew cab Chevy or GMC for a pull vehicle, (thought about a Canyon or Colorado crew cab, but they are not much better than a full size short bed) coupled up with a So-Cal Deluxe 5X11 should give me what I need for long trips.

Dave
IN GOD WE TRUST
David Hughes
Teardrop Builder

I have a SoCal Deluxe 5X11

Postby mkitchen » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:55 pm

The Deluxe was a good choice for us, Mo and I and three Corgi's. We have a queen size bed that is 8 1/2 feet long and love it. I pull it with a Honda Pilot or I can use my Tacoma but the Pilot does a lot better on gas. Very happy with the build and the inovative ideas that were put into the trailer.

We have a 4X4 trailer and learned what we liked from it so we had a good idea of what we wanted in the TD. Mike and Gabe were very helpful and worked with us on all we asked. I can see using the deluxe for many a year and doing a whole lot of travelling. If you decide to get the Deluxe, you will not be sorry.
Mikey
mkitchen
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers