Lil Traveler by Pleasant Valley

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Lil Traveler by Pleasant Valley

Postby ame8199 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:50 am

Does anyone tow this with a small compact car? My tow limit is 1000-1100lb and tongue weight is 10-15 percent of the trailer weight.

Also, the features they listed...is that all included such as the 12v ad 110v receptacles? That means I wont have to do any wiring and if I went to a campground with hook ups, Im able to get electricity? What is the 7 prong round plug for?

One more, does it come with a spare tire? Thanks again

Amy
Amy
~future owner of a teardrop~
ame8199
Teardrop Master

Re: Lil Traveler by Pleasant Valley

Postby jagular7 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:24 am

ame8199 wrote:Does anyone tow this with a small compact car? My tow limit is 1000-1100lb and tongue weight is 10-15 percent of the trailer weight.

Also, the features they listed...is that all included such as the 12v ad 110v receptacles? That means I wont have to do any wiring and if I went to a campground with hook ups, Im able to get electricity? What is the 7 prong round plug for?

Amy

Do you have a picture or a link to the Lil Traveler?
As for towing, hopefully, you will realize that the tow vehicle it towing total weight of trailer and contents. So if trailer has an empty weight of 500#s, then the maximum weight capacity of the 'stuff' should be 500#s for a maximum of 1000# towing capacity.
Referring to the receptacles, there are outlets on the trailer for your accessories to plug into. Usually, when these outlets are part of the trailer, there is a way to connect to a power source, either at home or at a campground. Problem would be many campgrounds have a higher output for their power source, so this requires a different power rated plug to use to attach. Not a big deal. Many camper business sell an adpater.
The 7-prong plug is for couple of things, tail lights for running and braking with the tow vehicle and there should be a 12v cpability. However, your tow vehicle may not be setup for matching with the trailer's wire connector.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby ame8199 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:33 am

http://www.pleasantvalleytrailers.com/t ... odels.html

heres the link, Im looking at the 4x8 model
Amy
ame8199
Teardrop Master

Postby NW_Subie » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:55 am

You might be happier with a Little Guy Rascal model given your tow limits.

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/models/rascal/

7 round allows the battery to be charged off your vehicle while driving, but it requires wiring your car for charging. Many TD's have 4 flat connectors to for the lights/brakes only. I like the simplicity of the 4 flat.

NW_Subie
Teardrop Master

Postby ame8199 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:04 pm

yes Ive looked at these. I hate the galley. Ive done my research on here and I'll be afraid of what I put on the galley and it bending. I love the shelves and cabinets in the back. Also, I dont know if I can get a twin size mattress inside the Rascal, I believe its too long.
Amy
ame8199
Teardrop Master

Postby ame8199 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:15 pm

well just got off live chat with someone at Little Guy. Really impressed at what my findings are. Will post in the manufacture tread.
Amy
ame8199
Teardrop Master

We have a 5 by 8 and pull with a Subaru Forester

Postby tearhead » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:19 pm

Gosh, it seems to me like you should be able to pull a 4 by 8 with a small car. We pull our 5 by 8 with a Subaru Forester. We love our Lil Traveler (see "Lil Traveler Reviews " thread lower down in this forum). Fit and finish are great, galley is nice, but a bit shallower than I thought it would be. Still, extremely functional. We have had no problems with leaks, which I guess some owners of older Lil Travelers have had (see Newbies forum).

There's a nice fan built in that does a good job of keeping the camper cool (so far, anyway). It works by pulling air into the galley (small vents in side walls of galley). Need to have window cracked a bit. Seems really soundproof with fan on. Yes, you can either use the regular 120 outlets that are built in (one inside, on in galley) or the 12 v outlets. :applause:
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tearhead » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:21 pm

Oops, forgot to mention the 7 prong round plug is for connecting to your car lights and blinkers and if you want, to trickle charge the battery. Doing that is optional, so the plug has it if you want it, but you can just plug in the directionals and lights if you prefer simplicity.
Last edited by tearhead on Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ame8199 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:25 pm

Thanks, Im just freaking out about the weight issue. Their tongue weight is a little high for my car. Its 20 percent of the trailer weight.

Im still looking, I got a while.
Amy
ame8199
Teardrop Master

You're in a good place!

Postby tearhead » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:33 pm

The research is as much fun as anything, I think! If you find yourself in southeast Wisconsin (or this weekend, the Dells), we'd be happy to show your our LT.

Forgot to mention, the spare is underneath. There's also a "basement" cargo area under the mattresses. We haven't stashed anything in there thus far, but probably will--maybe extra bedding or something. We do want to keep the load weight low, but our cargo isn't that heavy. We put the cooler in the car.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby NW_Subie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:05 pm

ame8199 wrote:Does anyone tow this with a small compact car? My tow limit is 1000-1100lb and tongue weight is 10-15 percent of the trailer weight.

Amy

What kind of compact car are we talking about? Most cars have pretty low manufacturer towing limits due to liability concerns. My Forester is rated for 2400 lbs (1000 unbraked). My 4 wide LG Retro is about 750 lbs / 75 lbs tongue weight. No issues with stability or braking. Definitely feel the weight climbing the mountains.
NW_Subie
Teardrop Master

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:25 pm

The seven prong also provides the connector for brakes should you want them. For all intents the galley in the Little Guy isn't, it is a shelf that needs reinforcement to keep from bending (I have seen some ingenious solutions to the problem at tear gatherings).
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby ame8199 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:25 pm

NW_Subie wrote:

Amy

What kind of compact car are we talking about? Most cars have pretty low manufacturer towing limits due to liability concerns. My Forester is rated for 2400 lbs (1000 unbraked). My 4 wide LG Retro is about 750 lbs / 75 lbs tongue weight. No issues with stability or braking. Definitely feel the weight climbing the mountains.

2005 Ford Focus and I live in the midwest, so no mountain. I wont try mountains until I get a 4 wheel drive SUV.
Amy
ame8199
Teardrop Master

Postby SlyTerry » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:31 pm

Might want to check out a Tadpole at www.tadpoletrailers.com If your total towing capacity is 1000 lbs then the Queen model will fit your needs
SlyTerry
Teardrop Master

Postby ame8199 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:26 pm

the tadpoles are awesome, really cute. 800lbs might be a little much for my car, also its a little expensive. They look really well made for the price tho.

Thanks for the information.
Amy
ame8199
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers