Is it possible to put an aluminum skin over an existing?

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Is it possible to put an aluminum skin over an existing?

Postby curiouserand » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:01 am

I bought my Little Guy a few years back; I live in Las Vegas, and only have a carport. One summer the angle of the sun was just 'perfect' and it seemed to partially melt my trailer...formed big bubbles. Now the bubbles have collapsed so it just looks wrinkled...still waterproof, which is what I care most about. I was told it would be at least $1000 to recover that section of the trailer, but I am not sure I want to use the same materials and wondered if I could put a new aluminum skin over it? Would I have to take the old one off? It seems to be mostly an issue with aesthetics...maybe I should just paint it purple and call it the Prune...? any suggestions ? I also am wondering what kind of adhesive works best for reattaching the weather stripping around the hatch, or do I need to get new weather stripping too? the rubber does not seem bad and it doesn't leak...
Curiouser and curiouser....
curiouserand
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Is it possible to put an aluminum skin over an existing?

Postby hiker chick » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:34 pm

curiouserand wrote:..maybe I should just paint it purple and call it the Prune...? .

That gets my vote.

:lol: :lol:

I have a green Little Guy.
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:46 pm

I don't see why you couldn't cover it in aluminum. That's my plan if I don't like the paint job on my Giant Teardrop somewhere down the road!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers