Spotted a new giant teardrop today.

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Spotted a new giant teardrop today.

Postby CPlater » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:45 pm

While going to a local RV center to look for 7 pin trailer connectors I saw one of these in their lot.

The model they had display was even bigger and the salesman that quickly materialize next to me said they were priced in the $16K range. Way out of my price range for sure but they were nice. Should start seeing some of these in the wild soon.
Detail can be found at this River Forest r Pod page.
Courtney
CPlater
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vrodjason » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:20 am

Cool little camper! The interior layout may be helpful to someone who is designing his/her own ttt. But I'm with you, too much $ for me.
vrodjason
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mike_La » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:00 pm

I like their floor plans. I've got a couple of them saved for later.
My second build will most likely be a tiny travel trailer(similar to the r-pod, or Back-Pack).

:)
Mike

"Believe you can and you're halfway there."
Theodore Roosevelt
Mike_La
Silver Donating Member

Postby Arne » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:08 pm

I saw one in real life, and they are NOT tiny...... not sure I could even pull one with my minivan, but I'll bet they have all the bells and whistles.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby vrodjason » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:19 pm

Yeah, all the bells and whistles add up to a lot of weight. Take out all of the stuff you probably don't need or could do without, and it might be light enough to pull with a smaller tow rig.
vrodjason
Teardrop Advisor

Postby PaPa Smurf » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:13 pm

I stop and looked at one the other day...got more in my pump house...I was a little disappointed...I wanted one :cry:
James 4:14......
You know it’s time to clean the refrigerator when something closes the door from the inside.
PaPa Smurf
Teardrop Master

Postby pauld3 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:39 pm

My only problem with this (besides the cost) is that you'd be INSIDE it cooking :( and not able to talk to every body while you are in your "kitchen," like we do when you cook out of the back end of a tear drop. :shake hands: :Flippin Burger: :campfire:

Just my opinion. it shore is purdy though!!!!!
Paul & Lynn Donovan
The Toad Drop Inn
Liberal, KS
pauld3
The 300 Club

Postby Mark & Andrea Jones » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:02 pm

pauld3 wrote:My only problem with this (besides the cost) is that you'd be INSIDE it cooking :( and not able to talk to every body while you are in your "kitchen," like we do when you cook out of the back end of a tear drop. :shake hands: :Flippin Burger: :campfire:

Just my opinion. it shore is purdy though!!!!!

I agree. :thinking: Now, if they had an outside kitchen option so that you are not getting food odors in the fabrics of the interiors. Maybe underneath the awning area so that you could stay dry in case of rain. That would leave more room for storage options INSIDE of the R-pod - or an additional bed. Then this could be a giant TD to consider.

AJ
Quality Water Treatment Solutions in the New River Valley! www.clearcreekwaterworks.com
Mark & Andrea Jones
The 300 Club

Postby doris s. » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:57 pm

I've seen the hardside R-pod but not the expandable one they have on the website. My hubby and I looked at them before we built our teardrop, and I have to say they are not constructed very well. They don't seem like they would last very many seasons of frequent camping. It sure would be nice to have a bathroom but that only adds weight. The price tag of $16k and up is a bit steep as well. I think building a standie would be cheaper and better quality than the R-Pod. Just my two-cents, lol.

Doris
doris s.
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:45 pm

We have seen a number of the R-Pod models and I am impressed. They have an aluminum frame torsion axle and appear to be well built.
We just got through seeing the Toledo RV show and quite frankly most of what was there was unimaginative poor quality over weight over priced same old same old tow it with a 1 Ton truck.
The R-Pods were getting a lot of attention. If there had been a tear drop there it would have stolen the show.
If you look at the Camp Inn they run around the same price some what comparably equipped. I Know what the cost of components that are in our new Mega-Mini
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:49 pm

Price is always a killer...

You guys know you can build a teardrop for a fraction of the cost of a commercial unit, because you don't have to pay for your labor.

The R-Pod is nice, but even if I could buy it used, at a good price, it's still too heavy for my tow vehicle.

I think I'll retreat back to my CAD system now, and try to design something that I can tow with my T.V.!

Mike....
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers