I need someone that knows their Aluminum

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

I need someone that knows their Aluminum

Postby bohemian » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:54 pm

I'm looking for someone that knows the gage and type of Aluminum that was used on a Modernistic/cub. Any help will be greatly appreciated.-Wayne :worship:
bohemian
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:31 pm

Wayne, I have absolutely no idea but will throw out these ideas/thoughts for your consideration...anyone with a Cub/Mod could take a set of calipers and come up with the thickness...the type of Al may be close to impossible to come up with since the Cub/Mod were built so long ago and the companies have been outta business for many years...many of the early TD were built using mil surplus stuff left over from WWII and used whatever may have been available on the surplus market...nowadaze, most builder use .032 to .060 for AL skins...the .032 is about the thinnest sheet that can easily be worked with due to the "flimsies"...the .060 is about the thickest that can be worked with without it being "too" thick to work around bends easily......
madjack 8)

p.s. here is a link to a Cub/Mod discussion group...may be worth contacting for more info...........MJ
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/mod ... teardrops/
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby bohemian » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:38 am

Thanks Madjack
My main concern was that I would order a sheet that was to light for the job at hand. Aluminum is to expensive for that. I did join the yahoo modernistic/cub group and asked this same question with no results yet. Though I was informed to get in touch with Brian which I did and he said he would get the thickness measurement for me. That will be a great help. But I am still confused about the grade to use.-Wayne
bohemian
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:06 pm

Sorry Not A clue! :thinking:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby bohemian » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:32 pm

I found a clue. Look in the General discussion post. And look for starting point. Click on that and scroll down to Aluminum and there you have it. -Wayne

:thumbsup:
bohemian
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers