Hunter Shadows

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Hunter Shadows

Postby CaptEditor » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:30 pm

I will be picking up my first teardrop on Sunday. It is a Hunter Shadow HU-3 4x10. Does anyone still make these trailers? All of the website links to the trailer manufacturer no longer work. The previous owner has told me that it was built in Coeur D'Alene, Idaho in 2008. Any info would be great!

After seeing the trailer I was very impressed with the craftsmanship and quality. There are a lot of cubbies and storage spaces! I will post some pictures when I pick it up on Sunday.

I'm sure there are other Hunter Shadow owners here!

-Kevin
CaptEditor
Teardrop Builder

Postby TENNJIM » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:36 pm

Welcome! I have a 2006 Hunter Shadow HU-3 and absolutely love it. I don't know if they are still manufacturing or not. They were built in Coeur D'Alene Idaho, downtown, near the lake. Yes, there are several owners on the forum.
8)
Jim B / Utah
Most People Seem Normal Until You Really Get To Know Them!
Never mind what people say, I think those Saguaros are shooting us the finger!
72.68% Of All Statistics Are Made Up!
TENNJIM
Palladium Donating Member

Postby PapaGene » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:58 pm

Welcome Kevin, We have a 2007 HU-3 Trailer from Hunter. Yes it was made there in Idaho as previous poster stated.

We picked ours up from the factory on the way to ITG in Minden, Nebr. People tell us that Idaho was not on the way from Okla to Nebraska but we made it that way. We have used ours extensively for almost three years and have towed it on many long trips. It has been trouble free and have really enjoyed it. I don't guess the factory is still in business as we tried to e-mail them several times last year, e-mail was never returned but we never got a reply from them.

That is a picture of it in our avatar with our tow vehicle.

Gene
PapaGene
Gold Donating Member

Postby CaptEditor » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:57 pm

Thanks for the response! I picked it up today but didn't get a chance to take pictures and now it's too dark. My wife and I are very happy to finally have our own TD.

I only had one little hangup with the wiring and had to get a tail light/blinker/brake convertor.

Pics coming soon!

-Kevin
CaptEditor
Teardrop Builder

Postby CaptEditor » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:43 pm

We took off to Fort Bragg for the weekend!

CaptEditor
Teardrop Builder

Postby TENNJIM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Glad to see you enjoying that HU-3. It looks like a great trip and I bet that Subie pulled it really well. I sometimes tow with a 2.5 liter Impreza Outback-handles these Western mountains just fine.
8)
Jim B / Utah
TENNJIM

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:22 pm

CaptEditor wrote:Image

Good looking trailer, and good looking dogs. Queensland Heelers?
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby hiker chick » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:24 pm

Fantastic pics and pups!

Looks like you all are getting off to a great start in teardropdom.

:thumbsup: :applause:
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby CaptEditor » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:55 pm

Yep, our first kids are queensland heelers!

It wasn't too tight with the pups in the trailer but we are used to sleeping with them. (spoiled) The real problem was the condensation from the 4 of us breathing in there all night! I'll have to find a way to dehumidify it in there.
CaptEditor
Teardrop Builder

Postby PaulC » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:38 am

Down here the pups are called Heelers -- You have a Blue heeler and a Red Heeler. Apparently the Reds are due to cross breeding with our Native Dog, the Dingo.

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:15 am

CaptEditor wrote:It wasn't too tight with the pups in the trailer but we are used to sleeping with them. (spoiled) The real problem was the condensation from the 4 of us breathing in there all night! I'll have to find a way to dehumidify it in there.

Crack both windows. Won't eliminate, but will greatly reduce, condensation.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Rob » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:55 am

Looks like the infamous Highway 20 ride to MacKerricher State Park? Been there, done that many, many times. We have a 5x10 Hunter Shadow - two adults and a golden retriever. Yep, condensation is a problem. We tried putting small fans in each window. We also tried putting straps in to hold the doors open only about 3-4". Enough for the air, but not enough for the dog or raccoons to take advantage of. Our final solution was to have VacationsInACan install a Fantastic Fan in the roof. Now that REALLY made a difference.

Don't forget to register for the Dam Gathering the first weekend of May and the infamous International Redwood Gathering. :thumbsup:
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

Postby CaptEditor » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:15 am

PaulC wrote:Down here the pups are called Heelers -- You have a Blue heeler and a Red Heeler. Apparently the Reds are due to cross breeding with our Native Dog, the Dingo.

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:

Yep, that's what we call them! But most people don't seem to know much about the breed here in the States. All the Heeler owners know that they are the smartest, most loyal, most energetic, and most loving dogs of all, though!

I'd love to take a trip to Australia someday and see some dingo's :-P
CaptEditor
Teardrop Builder

Postby CaptEditor » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:23 am

Rob wrote:Looks like the infamous Highway 20 ride to MacKerricher State Park? Been there, done that many, many times. We have a 5x10 Hunter Shadow - two adults and a golden retriever. Yep, condensation is a problem. We tried putting small fans in each window. We also tried putting straps in to hold the doors open only about 3-4". Enough for the air, but not enough for the dog or raccoons to take advantage of. Our final solution was to have VacationsInACan install a Fantastic Fan in the roof. Now that REALLY made a difference.

Don't forget to register for the Dam Gathering the first weekend of May and the infamous International Redwood Gathering. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips! I did leave the windows open and ran our small fan (between the galley) on it's timer as we went to sleep. I'd hate to find I need to install a fan/vent in the roof, so I'm going to try my other options first. I'm certain in the summer months it shouldn't be such a problem (unless it's alreay unbearably humid outside).

The first night we spent in the trailer here at home was awful, however. The temperatures dipped down to about 30F, enhancing the dew point, and causing waterfalls of condesation down the walls! :?

Perhaps some kind of 12V Dehumidifier is available.

The fan solution just might become necessary when we find out just how hot the trailer gets in the summer!

-Kevin
CaptEditor
Teardrop Builder

Postby TENNJIM » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:32 pm

I find sleeping with that back vent fan a little difficult. So, I use an O2Cool fan (the big one) from Wal Mart-they are quiet. It cools off the teardrop in the hot months and I think it would help condensation problems. I hang it from the center of the top back shelf. So far, I have solved condensation problems by just opening both windows; however, two people is the most ever in my teardrop.
8)
Jim B / Utah
TENNJIM

Next

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers