Micro Lite - Cargo Lite

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Micro Lite - Cargo Lite

Postby CW5RLC » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:02 pm

Didn't know where to put this. Functions like a cargo trailer, but sized like a tear drop. Concept looks good and all aluminum. Anyone seen one in person or own one? It intrigues me because I don't need the kitchen. I appreciate the airconditioner for the Florida nights. Probably has the RVIA label. When transporting trikes/recumbents nice to have them inside for the 1000 mile ride. Less wear and tear on bikes. Four foot inside height easier on old body than most tears.
CW5RLC
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:02 pm

I have seen a number of Microlite tears. Good concept light weight good quality.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Wimperdink » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:59 am

I loved my Wazat! but its gone. :(
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Micro Lite - Cargo Lite

Postby coop74 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:07 pm

I am a proud owner of an Cargo Lite xtreme....

first camping trip is this weekend!!!
Robert "Coop" Cooper
coop74
Teardrop Advisor

Postby M C Toyer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:30 pm

Nice match to the tow vehicle.

Does the trailer taper to the front, i.e., is it narrower there than the rear, or is that just an illusiuon?

M C
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby crttaz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:27 am

Their webpage which I bookmarked for myself :)

http://www.microlitetrailer.com/index.htm
crttaz
Teardrop Master

Postby CW5RLC » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:59 pm

Hey Coop74, looking forward to your impressions of the Cargo Lite. Tough finding one in person to scope out. I see you have the Xtreme. I am still traveling with the Aliner Alite. Love the economy of pulling the low profile and low weight with gas prices going higher and higher, but all I can do in the Alite is stand up and spin in place. Still looking for something just a little larger. Wondering if the Xtreme is it? Photos and your list of specs/options always appreciated.
CW5RLC
Teardrop Inspector

Postby coop74 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:42 pm

M C Toyer wrote:Nice match to the tow vehicle.

Does the trailer taper to the front, i.e., is it narrower there than the rear, or is that just an illusiuon?

M C

I think that is an illusion of the photo. it is the same width front to rear... we had our first camping experience this weekend. A major step up over my motorcycle and tent camping for the last several years...

Now to use it thousands of more times...
Robert "Coop" Cooper
coop74
Teardrop Advisor

Postby coop74 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:34 pm

CW5RLC wrote:Hey Coop74, looking forward to your impressions of the Cargo Lite. Tough finding one in person to scope out. I see you have the Xtreme. I am still traveling with the Aliner Alite. Love the economy of pulling the low profile and low weight with gas prices going higher and higher, but all I can do in the Alite is stand up and spin in place. Still looking for something just a little larger. Wondering if the Xtreme is it? Photos and your list of specs/options always appreciated.

My first impressions are very good... The fit and finish is good; It would appear they have taken pride in the workmanship. The only thing i could say bad on construction so far would be that there was some slivers of alum from drilling and screws that were left inside. Very few of them, but enough that i wanted to take some time and sweep carefully because I have stepped on a sliver of alum before and it will go right into flesh. The floor currently is bare alum planking which I hope to add a rug to for foot comfort.

The details like trim, corners, windows doors seem well executed and well thought out. My original plan was for a tear drop from Little Guy but I found this to be a more economical option for my needs of camping and still having a motorcycle handy. It allows me to stay inside on the bench seats if I wanted to or convert to a bed and just sleep inside. My wife does not do tent thing but she enjoyed the camper. Since our boys are gone this will allow me to spend more time with her now.

Mine has a small micro wave, small fridge that runs on propane, 110, or 12 volt, has two burner stove (I would not have ordered one that way as i have a ton of different portable stoves. It is also possible to order with a small sink. I did not want that either and as luck would have it this one was not equipped this way. Mine also came with an awning which is something that is not common but I did want. The dealer I got mine from got 5 from the factory and mine was the only one that was not already spoken for so I lucked out to get it as they had another customer standing in line for it.

The folds down benches have 4 positions. Up and flat against the wall for toy hauling. It has 4 in floor tie downs that appear to be located well and appear substantial. The next position is two benches down and using the small folding table they provide. They face the center and while tight look very workable if it was raining. You could play cards or games or something out of the elements. It is possible to put one or both into a position that gives you a working level wall mounted table/shelf. I am thinking if it was just my wife and I we would put one up and use the opposite as a table in the up position. It would be a longer reach but would allow you to move around with out the portable table taking up space. The last position is folded down as a Near Queen size bed as described on the companies website. They use the two ramps for the base of the bed. It forms a very stable platform that I could not feel any give in. It creates a very comfortable bed and my wife had bought Queen size sheet set which fit pretty well so the size should be close to actual queen size. The have located the bed height to be perfect to use the ramps for. You take the two ramps and make a box to support the platforms in the center and at the wall there is a piano hinge. Configured like this there is a lot of storage area under the bed and more then enough room to use the little galley area inside. The cushions for the benches become the mattress for the bed. My wife and i are both very tall and I played college football so I am not a small guy. I felt the bed was very comfortable but I likely will add a memory foam type topper as we have that kind of bed at home. As is however I had a great night sleep.

The rear hatch, to load the motorcycle folds up. The company has plans to make a screen room for it which I think would be nice. I love to camp at the keys and it would be nice to be able to lay in bed and look out over the water. The hatch is light and will stay up on it own like the ones on a car hatch. The company however provides two expandable poles to hold it up and has two small guy holes to keep the poles in place. I can see where it might be a good idea to guy the down on the poles for windy days. I think it would be possible to fabricate just screen that would allow you to seal the rest of the trailer.

On the outside rear of the fender is two storage boxes that are not water tight but would be weather resistant. One holds the deep cycle battery with room for another maybe two. I would like to add the capacity to use a solar panel so I think I will add another battery in time (one of the reasons I join the forum to gather ideas). The other I store the chocks and little stability jacks I bought. There is room to spare on both sides however. Additionally in the rear near the back is a small compartment below the floor level is a compartment. I currently have nothing inside at this time. I think it will be my spares area in the future as I sort out out what I want and need to carry.

Hope that was not to long and I am open to questions if I did not cover what you wanted to know.

Big Coop
Robert "Coop" Cooper
coop74
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vaddisonme » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:22 pm

I am so glad to see this review :) . We are heading up to Michigan at the end of next month to pick up our bright orange cargo lite. :D (Not the extreme, just the 5 x 8 cargo lite.). We drive a Honda CRv and didn't want to risk the heavier tongue weight of the extreme! Ours just has an A/C, and we'll add a microwave, and we added a 2" receiver hitch in case we want to carry the bikes on the back, We thought a lot about a little guy teardrop, but I got scared off by the thought of dryrot, and thought it might be a bit claustrophobic for my 6'5" husband. We were thrilled to find the cargo lite, since it is 97" long inside, has windows in doors and walls, and is the same 48" height the whole length. No squished feet. The downside is that we don't have a cute and organizable kitchen galley! :cry: (Guess it is a plastic tub for our kitchen :shock: ). But the upside is that our cargo lite can haul plywood or mulch and then get swept out. We also have a back ramp door, which opens the opposite way from the Cargolite Extreme- so we can just roll our bicycles up it and lay them on the mattress, if we decide to transport them that way. The Cargolite folks also did a modification for us without charging us anything... I wanted to set the nose of the trailer 4" down lower, because we have our bed at home on an angle likethat to prevent acid reflux. I asked them if they could add stabilizer jacks to the front to take care of that and they said "yes" for a reasonable cost, but they came up with the idea of mounting the front jack higher up, which they did at no charge Now we can crank it up to level or have it slightly lower. The factory rep sent me photos!!! Now I am thinking of a good name for it, and planning curtains :lol: Wish I knew an easy way to post the photos he sent. I am really looking forward to camping in comfort.
Last edited by vaddisonme on Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Marshmallow pulling our Sweet Potato.
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vaddisonme » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:26 pm

What are you towing your Extreme with? Does it tow well?
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby coop74 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:37 pm

vaddisonme wrote:What are you towing your Extreme with? Doe sit tow well?

My tow vehicle is my Kia Borrego. Rated to tow 5k lbs. Ideally i need about it an 1 inch lower at the hitch but I have not gotten a drop for the hitch yet as I wanted to see how it sits with a motorcycle inside and puts more weight on the tongue which I think will level it out.

As for towing, it is narrower then my car and i can see around the trailer without fitting special mirrors. The weight of the car is nearly 5k lbs and I cannot hardly tell it is back there. It tracks well and seems very easy to tow. The trailer has marking lights on the side and LED taillights which seem to work very well (i have never seen one in tow to verify) My only source for how well the lights work is when checking prior to pulling out. I do think I will add some additional reflective tape to the rear as I am a big fan of rear ward visibility since i ride motorcycles.
Robert "Coop" Cooper
coop74
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vaddisonme » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:28 pm

cargo three.jpg
cargo three.jpg (9.16 KiB) Viewed 16801 times
cargo four.jpg
cargo four.jpg (12.53 KiB) Viewed 16801 times
cargo five.jpg
cargo five.jpg (11.31 KiB) Viewed 16801 times
I did it! I did it! I posted pictures!!! I haven't actually seen my trailer in person yet, but the dealer, Jim, went and picked it up from the factory and drove it to his place. He sent me these pictures. Two more to come... 8)
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby vaddisonme » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:30 pm

small cargo two pic.jpg
small cargo two pic.jpg (11.76 KiB) Viewed 16801 times
cargolite.jpg
cargolite.jpg (12.62 KiB) Viewed 16801 times
Two more pictures. :thumbsup: and I added smilies. I feel so technologically competent. ;)
vaddisonme
Teardrop Advisor

Postby coop74 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:37 pm

vaddisonme wrote:
small cargo two pic.jpg
cargolite.jpg
Two more pictures. :thumbsup: and I added smilies. I feel so technologically competent. ;)

So how is it working out, the cargo-lite that is. What is your evaluation of your new toy?

Big Coop
Robert "Coop" Cooper
coop74
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers