New Rough Rider owner!

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

New Rough Rider owner!

Postby hopefully » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:06 pm

Hello, well, after almost two years of researching pop-ups, roof top tents, scotty's/scamps and teardrops, I finally 'pulled the trigger' and got a teardrop.

I really like the simplicity of the hard sided, no set-up time durability that teardrops have to offer and getting a rough rider further supports the durability factor (hopefully :) )

We picked it up last Saturday and took it straight to its new home, which is 5 wooded acres surrounded by a state park. And after 24 hours with it, here are a few observations,,,

1. Chris and Joe are very easy to deal with. About a month ago we went to there facility in Ohio (only 2hrs away) and they let us crawl, poke and prod through every TD they had available with no hassles what-so-ever.

2. Its very cozy, first night camping was mid-30's and we were warm with the roof vent open and the side windows cracked.

3. Has anyone had any troubles getting the brakes to work on their little guy? My tow vehicle is a Tacoma with a tow package (pre-wired 7 prong connecter). I hooked up a prodigy P2 brake controller, but I can get the brakes to work? The brake controller is showing that its sending current to the trailer, the trailers lights are all working, but after one of the long hills, I felt the drum and they are as cold as could be. Anyone have any ideas? I talked to Lil'guy and they gave me some suggestions, but I won’t get to mess with it until the weekend so I was just getting anyone else’s opinion.

4. It came with a solar panel and it showed that it was charging the battery even though it was VERY cloudy. I will post more about this, I know very little (ok, actually NOTHING) about solar, so I will be monitoring how long it takes to charge especially where its parked now, which will be mostly shaded from the trees.

Well, now I just need to figure out how to post some pictures! :lol:
hopefully
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Big Dan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:55 pm

at the top of the paige is ( help with photos) :thumbsup:
"Happiness is only real when shared" Alexander Supertramp
Big Dan
The 300 Club

Postby arthuruscg » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:26 pm

since it is a new trailer, try checking the grounds. They could have forgot to install the star washer between grounding wire grommets and the newly painted frame.
arthuruscg
Teardrop Builder

Postby hiker chick » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:12 pm

Congrats! Post pics! Lotsa pics!

I don't have trailer breaks so sorry can't help on that.

LG is great to deal with.

Enjoy.

:applause:
Hot Stuff Today, Dog Stuff Tomorrow

www.thegidg.com
hiker chick
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby hopefully » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:28 am

Thanks for the reply's.

Here is an update with the brakes. There is electic going to them. After I hooked up the trailer, I applied the brakes (while not moving) and I could here a little buzz/humm sound. I brought the trailer home this weekend and while stopping at a red light the right rear wheel was squeeking. Kind of like a metal on metal sound :( . I pulled over and I could feel heat coming from the brake drum ONLY ON THE RIGHT/PASSENGER side of the trailer. The drivers side was still cold to touch. That is telling me that only one brake is working, with the squeeking/squeeling noise I MIGHT have burned through a set of brakes pads and three, I need to call LG and tell them what is going on! :oops:

ugh.

Still trying to figure out the photo thing. I have a mac and I am definitely computer stupid! :?
hopefully
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hopefully » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:43 am

So, after talking to some rv dealers, I am pretty sure that the brakes just need adjusted.

After doing some research, I think I figured it out.

1. Jack up trailer/put on jack stands
2. Pop out rubber dust seal
3. tighten it with screw driver until the you cant turn the wheels
4. loosen to the point where you can spin the tire with MINIMAL resistance
5. put rubber dust seal back
6. repeat steps 1-5 with other side

any input would be greatly appreciated :thinking:
hopefully
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers