How big is the tiny trailer market...really?

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

How big is the tiny trailer market...really?

Postby Larry Drake » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:04 pm

Does anyone have any idea how big (or how small) the tiny trailer market is?
:thinking:
It seems that teardrop and mini travel trailers are barely on the radar screen for the RV industry. Yet, at the same time, we get a lot of folks inquiring.

There was a notable increase in small, lightweight trailers at the Annual RV National Trade Show. Some pundits are saying that fuel prices and the economy are fueling a growth in small trailers.

While RVIA does publish numbers, it is difficult to know what portion makes up the tiny trailer segment and if some, or any, of the teardrop manufactures are included.
Larry Drake
Teardrop Inspector

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:04 pm

Simply because the mainline manufacturers have duped the public into thinking that what the offer is the only game on the block. They thrive in the 20k to 40k market with higher profit and margins as the price goes up. They don't want to move to smaller lower margin types as that would hurt their middle tiers where they force people to go for comfort and luxury.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:14 pm

I would say that it is growing, and will faster as fuel prices rise. Think of auto gas mileage requirements for the future and small ultra-lite trailers will be the future.
I know of one Teardrop maker start up that so far has not been able keep up with orders.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:30 pm

I've just started and hard to get the cash flowing enough to get the marketing out there that is needed to get exposure. I just sold my first one and about to build 2 more and hope that will be the launch of it all. I'm not sure why most of the teardrops are priced so high and with so little options as I can pull in my design with ac fridge microwave queen bed and tv for 6k making decent margin.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers