Retro Ride Teardrops

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Retro Ride Teardrops

Postby bobhav » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Hi Folks,

Do any of you have any knowledge or first hand experience with a builder called Retro Rides Teardrps? I have looked at their website and I'm interested in finding out more about them. They are about 6 hours from me and I see them as a possible source for a new teardrop. Our son lives about 1200 miles from us and I see us towing it out there twice a year. There are other activities that we are involved in where a mobile bed would be a plus.

One more question, are teardrop campers like shoes, you just have to try them on for size? Tow vehicle is a Mazda CX-5.

Thanks in advance,
BobH.
bobhav
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Retro Ride Teardrops

Postby GerryS » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Watch your towing capacity closely. I think you're at 2000lb but that's usually optomistic. Whatever you tow be sure to consider braking. There's nothing scarier than mashing brakes and having a trailer push you down the road....

Thank you Mr O for making every car today under powered and running on the razors edge of usefulness for anything except getting groceries :(
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bobhav » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:06 pm

bobhav wrote:
Do any of you have any knowledge or first hand experience with a builder called Retro Rides Teardrps? I have looked at their website and I'm interested in finding out more about them. They are about 6 hours from me and I see them as a possible source for a new teardrop. Our son lives about 1200 miles from us and I see us towing it out there twice a year. There are other activities that we are involved in where a mobile bed would be a plus.

One more question, are teardrop campers like shoes, you just have to try them on for size? Tow vehicle is a Mazda CX-5.

Thanks in advance,
BobH.

Hi Folks,

This week end my wife, Lilly and I gave in to my temptation and drove to Wisconsin to pet 2013 Retro Ride Teardrops. We petted a 4 X 8', a 5 X 8', and a 5 X 10'. The 5' X 8' followed us home. All had .047" aluminum skins. The guys there spent alot of time showing us the features of their units and talking with us. The weather conditions weren't the best htis morning, poor visablity and the interstate had one semi clear lane in each direction. The camper towed nicely. It is really dirty, so is Lilly's car. It was a 7 hr drive home.

I guess you could say that we are now committed, maybe we should have been committed. If anyone expresses any interest, I will attempt to post some photos after I get the muck off of it.

Happy New Year!
BobH.
bobhav
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:16 pm

Absolutely on the pictures... I'd love to see them!

For those of you interested in the link to their website... it's here: http://www.retrorideteardrops.com/

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bobhav » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:49 pm

mikeschn wrote:Absolutely on the pictures... I'd love to see them!

For those of you interested in the link to their website... it's here: http://www.retrorideteardrops.com/

Mike...

Mike,

Well I finally got some pictures in my gallery, but I have no clue on how to post them to a reply. Help!!
BobH.
bobhav
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gage » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:01 pm

bobhav wrote: Mike,

Well I finally got some pictures in my gallery, but I have no clue on how to post them to a reply. Help!!
BobH.

You need to try again. You didn't get any pictures into your gallery. :thinking: (if you had checked your work, you would have noticed this.)
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bobhav » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:35 pm

Mister gage,
They are there now. And yes, this time I checked to make sure.
BobH.
bobhav
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gage » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:14 pm

bobhav wrote:Mister gage,
They are there now. And yes, this time I checked to make sure.
BobH.

:thumbsup:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby lee senn » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:41 pm

Bob great looking tear you have there !! I particularly like the shape, nice flowing line with max headroom throughout . Let the fun begin. Lee
lee senn
Donating Member

Postby majiccj » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:38 pm

Hi Bob:

My wife and I are looking into to the retro ride tear drop and wanted to see what feedback you might have if any yet?
majiccj
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bobhav » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:49 pm

majiccj wrote:Hi Bob:

My wife and I are looking into to the retro ride tear drop and wanted to see what feedback you might have if any yet?

Majiccj,

We towed it home from Plover, Wi. on 12/29/12. The roads were snow covered most of the 400 miles home. It towed nicely behind our Mazda CX5 ( 2 liter). The next morning, I checked it over for any signs of leaks. None were found.

We slept in it one night last weekend. Opened the roof vent and one of the side door windows for fresh air. The temperature was in the high 40's, there wasn't alot of condensation. I didnot notice any wind noise, slept well. The central lights are very nice. The shelves have a noticable lip on them that will help hold their contents. We zipped 2 new 30 to 50 dregree sleeping bags together and threw an old bag on top for extra warmth. I may invest in two more sleepingbags for colder camping. We plan to do Brown County, In. in a few weeks.

I still need to purchase a propane stove and perhaps modify it. The front rack may serve for a table support / stove area., time will tell.

I don't have much info to pass on. So far, I'm pleased with my purchase and yes, I would do it again. I feel that Blake and Stuart will support there products.

BobH.
bobhav
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Bobcape » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:03 am

Great to read your review. I've been talking with Blake about a trailer. He's got some good ideas for me. Here's what he's suggesting for my needs -

I'm thinking a 5 x 8 with a 4 foot tongue instead of a 3 foot and build you a rack on the tongue 5 ft. x 3 ft. to carry your deer/antelope. That way the weight is on the front and you would have no trouble and no fishtailing. Also, if we did the back receiver hitch for your basket it would block the taillights. I can do a 5 x 8, 2 door, fantastic 3 speed fan, full 110 power, full 12 volt power,4 -12 volt plug ins, counter top in galley with a shelf. Shelf in front of cabin, 2 shelves in rear of cabin, 3 – 12 v lights in cabin and 2 in galley, 12 volt battery, 14” tires with hub caps, heavy duty rack on front tongue with higher rock guard behind rack to keep crap off the trailer.

This sounds like just what I'm looking for. I'm also considering the roof rack. I have a few questions -
Can this trailer be towed at full speed on the interstate, 75 MPH?

The roof is insulated but not the walls. I tent camp in hunting season down to single digit temps. Should I expect any ice build up inside from condensation at those temps?

I always camp off-road with no power hook-up. Is the 110V power setup necessary?

Is it realistic to hope that the 12V system will last 4 or 5 days of light use - interior lights, charging phones, GPS, etc., maybe a small ceramic heater and a small 12V TV? What if I buy a second battery as a spare?

Can I add a meter or gauge to keep track of the remaining battery charge?

Sorry for all of the newbie questions. I've never owned a trailer before. Thanks.

Bob
Bobcape
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhav » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:35 am

Bobcape wrote:Great to read your review. I've been talking with Blake about a trailer. He's got some good ideas for me. Here's what he's suggesting for my needs -

I'm thinking a 5 x 8 with a 4 foot tongue instead of a 3 foot and build you a rack on the tongue 5 ft. x 3 ft. to carry your deer/antelope. That way the weight is on the front and you would have no trouble and no fishtailing. Also, if we did the back receiver hitch for your basket it would block the taillights. I can do a 5 x 8, 2 door, fantastic 3 speed fan, full 110 power, full 12 volt power,4 -12 volt plug ins, counter top in galley with a shelf. Shelf in front of cabin, 2 shelves in rear of cabin, 3 – 12 v lights in cabin and 2 in galley, 12 volt battery, 14” tires with hub caps, heavy duty rack on front tongue with higher rock guard behind rack to keep crap off the trailer.

This sounds like just what I'm looking for. I'm also considering the roof rack. I have a few questions -
Can this trailer be towed at full speed on the interstate, 75 MPH?

Hi Bob,

I'm a newb' also, I can't answer all of your questions from experience. I have yet to tow our 5 x 8 at any speed over 65MPH. We intend to do most of our towing with a Maxda CX-5 that has a 2 liter engine. If you are towing with a more powerful vehicle with a higher gross weight your results will be different than mine. Do I think the Retro Ride will stand the 75MPH for long trips, yes, I do. A large deer will change the tongue weight.

The roof is insulated but not the walls. I tent camp in hunting season down to single digit temps. Should I expect any ice build up inside from condensation at those temps?

Will someone else be in the trialer with you? My wife and I have slept in ours with no additional heat source. Our bodies do give off heat along with moisture. I had my window open a bit along with the roof vent open about an inch and a half, the cabin did get warmer. I was using the ventalation to control carbon dioxide, I'm sure that much of the moisture escaped out the vent. The walls were not damp the following morning. I have yet to use the camper in single digit temperatures. With 2 people sleeping in the camper, I wouldn't exspect frost on the upper walls.

I always camp off-road with no power hook-up. Is the 110V power setup necessary?

On our camper the charging system is 110V. I don't have any plans for 110V appliances in the camper, no high tech coffee maker, no TV. If I'm on my back, it's nap time. I think there was a recent poll on power sources, as i recall there were not many campers that used 2 batteries. A second battery could always be an option. I'm hoping for 3 nights use of the vent fan without recharging.

Is it realistic to hope that the 12V system will last 4 or 5 days of light use - interior lights, charging phones, GPS, etc., maybe a small ceramic heater and a small 12V TV? What if I buy a second battery as a spare?

Can't speak directly to that, you might consider a solar system for charging for extended stays.

Can I add a meter or gauge to keep track of the remaining battery charge?

I would put the cost of the meter into a second battery. If I had an extra deep cycle battery, I would carry it with me on the first extended outing just in case.

Sorry for all of the newbie questions. I've never owned a trailer before. Thanks.

Bob

I have been very pleased with my dealings with Blake and Stuart. My wife, Lilly and I are planning on using our Retro Ride alot.
BobH.
bobhav
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhav » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Bobcape and others,

My wife and I went out to her childhood home and spent the day picking up limbs and burning them. We hooked on to the Retro Ride camper and took it with us. The temperature was at freezing and there were snow flurries. We has some camp coffee in the late afternoon. I started to fix out evening meal, a rice dish. I was heating water on a propane single burner stove, the temperature was dropping and I couldn't get the water to a boiling temperature. ( I suspect the lower temperature was deminishing my propane tank pressure.) I went to plan "B" and lit up the Jet Boil, boiling in less than 3 minutes. Lilly and I finished our meal, and I put the tools away and repacked the gallery.
By and by, we called it a day and retired into the teardrop. I opened the roof vent about 1/2 inch and opened my door's window about an 1/8". I crawled under the covers and was comfy in about 3 minutes, I took Lilly a bit longer.

I woke up about 3 hours later over filled with coffee. I turned the light on and looked at the thermometer that was laying on the top shelf, it showed 48 degrees F., that was 26 degrees warmer than it was ot side. I guess momma and I give off a lot of heat. As I looked around I could see moisture beading on the uninsulated side walls but none had collected on the insulated portions on the camper. The windows were icing over and the metal panels of the doors were showing frost below the interior locks above the locks were rivletts of moisture. There was no frost on the side walls only moisture. Lilly and I were the only heat in the camper and after looking at the frost on the door, I am sure that there were several degrees difference in the temperature at the ceiling of the camper verses the floor of the camper.

All in all, we were pleased with the experience and learned several things about cool weather camping. We got home in time to go to church services.

Bob H.
bobhav
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Bobcape » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:53 pm

Great info Bob H! I am very close to committing to the teardrop that I've been talking to Blake about. Just a few last items to work out. How did it pull on the highway?

Bob C
Bobcape
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers