Dinoot Campers

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Re: Dinoot Campers

Postby Esteban » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:44 pm

Scott, Just found this discussion and I like where it is heading. :) :thumbsup: Your Dinoot camper could be a time saver, a money saver, need fewer $$ tools to build, and have nice weather tightness.

My personal noobie thoughts are mostly about your angular design on page three: I prefer two side doors, but could compromise on one rear door if all the other conveniences work well. I also like that your fiberglass parts can be painted in colors of our choice.

I'm tall. I'd like room for either a queen or full XL bed. Both are 80" long.

Prefer the wider and sturdier NT 5' x 8' trailer. Have a HF 4' x 8' trailer and the flimsy tongue twists when the tongue jack is down and the trailer is rolled around on the jack wheel. There could also be more under bed storage room with the wider NT trailer.

Would want to use a solar collector instead of the rear skylight on the uppermost flat roof section. Might want to use a Fantastic fan too...though roof space may then be lacking for both. How wide is that roof section? Solar panels greater than 125 watts (UL solar 12 volt 125 watts is 48" wide) need 58" or a little more width to fit well.

Is there room for a cooler; preferably an ac/dc refrigerator/freezer like a Truckfridge http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=57386, indelb, Dometic, or ARB in the slide out kitchen?

How would these trailers be insulated? Could you (we) easily add rigid foam insulation or would it be difficult to do so? How about the ease or difficulty of installing interior paneling?

How are the sections joined together? With bolts only, bolts and epoxy, or an adhesive/sealer like silkaflex?

Years ago I added an openable glass skylight to my car. :x Quickly came to regret it because it often got very hot and uncomfortable. Sunburned my head too so I sometimes needed to wear a cap. I needed to run the air conditioner more often than before. With that experience in mind I do not see a need for two large skylights and two side windows too. It seems overdone and not the best use of the roof space. A better use of the roof IMNSHO is to be able to mount a solar collector to the roof to produce electricity. It would be easier to keep yourself comfortably warm in cold weather with one less skylight too.

An ending thought. I've warmed up to the utility of a traditional Benroy design. So if you offered it in 8', 9', and 10' kits (outer shells) I'd most likely choose the 10 foot Benroy. You might make and sell a fiberglass Benroy kit with just the two sidewalls. Though a galley hatch kit would be very helpful for 4', 4'6" and 5' wide Benroy galleys. If you did that I suppose there would be demand for the front and roof structures too. Where does this kit idea end? :thinking:
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby schaney » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:40 am

Steve, Thanks for the input. Once I get our new military style tub kit to market, will be able to get back to this project.

With a 5' outside width, will have a 56-58" wide bed platform area and 80"+ long in no problem. Lots of your questions are details that have not been worked out yet. Worth looking at standard solar panel sizes, in worst case some form of rack to support any overhang would be easy. I am planning on working out a way to insulate it.

There is also a new fiberglass component & plywood hybrid ideas being working. This would provide the flexibility to use a side or rear door approach and do a few different roof lines, stay tuned.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby Esteban » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Scott, Thanks for your reply and information. Best of luck too for the success of your products.

Solar thoughts. I would not want a solar collector panel to project beyond the side of a camper for several reasons. It would look a little ugly. The solar panel would be more susceptible to damage. Personal safety concerns. It could be a hazard to people nearby who might get bruised or cut by "running into" the overhanging edge or corner of a solar panel. Ouch! The type of solar panel mounts I want to use are: ZJ-03-W Universal Solar Panel 4-Corner Drill-free Glue Mounting
Corner mounting brackets for solar panels
Drill-free mounting option, easily glued on with Sikaflex 252, 291 or alike
Durable, UV-resistant ABS plastic construction
Includes 4 corner glue mounts
1-year limited warranty

Product Description
Made of UV-resistant ABS plastic, these solar panel corner mounting brackets are virtually compatible with any aluminum-framed solar panel with a rectangular shape. They not only offer a simple, stylish and cost-effective solution for providing solar panel with a safe and secure placement on motor vehicles, RVs, caravans, boats and roofs, but also support solar panel at its optimal height to allow bottom aeration, thus ensure the solar panel to function at its maximum efficiency. Better yet, a solar panel can be easily and conveniently mounted on these bracket with glue, such as Sikaflex 252 or 291 or alike, no drilling required.

I really like their aerodynamic look. They could be painted to better blend them into the roof line. They greatly reduce penetrations in the roof that might leak. They do need a little roof space beyond the ends of a solar panel. I hope they might reduce the chance for theft of a roof top solar panel as well. There are more sizes, shapes and colors of them to fit large or small panels.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby schaney » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:58 am

Thanks ... interesting mounts. If the flexible panels come down more in price, they would be easy to integrate in with the roof.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:46 pm

Been a little while ... If you haven't been following the recent thread "TrailTop" modular trailer topper building components give the Last Page a look. Jeff posted some profile ideas for the TRK, love to hear your feedback. Do people like the one or two angle sloped front better?
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Previous

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers