Dinoot Campers

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Re: Dinoot Campers

Postby Roebuck » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:50 pm

So far I love all of the designs that you have put up!

As for suggestions like others have said yes an elevated sleeping platform would work best. I'd like to just dive in and sleep especially when I'm on a road trip and it is late. I also really like the slide out kitchen! Here in BC I find it pours more than the sun is shining and if I would be able to possibly do some cooking inside with the windows open for ventilation I would be a very happy camper indeed :D .

On that note I'm thinking maybe having the interior being able convert to a dinette would be ideal. That way with the table down you would have your elevated sleeping platform with storage under it but in poor weather, the unit would be entirely livable and very usable more so than just having a bed in there.

You may have said it and I probably missed it but do you have any idea of a rough weight you are looking at for a final version?
Future home of trailer details...eventually.
Roebuck
Teardrop Inspector

Postby schaney » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:14 am

Thanks Roebuck. At planned size, might be tight for having space to cook inside. Do plan on an awning / side wall configuration of some stuff for weather protection over side-out kitchen.

Have been think about how to make the bed platform slide back into seat.

I believe a rolling "shell" version of it would be 500-550 lbs, then depending on how it's outfitted the weight would go up from there.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:51 pm

Here are some more sketches on this one showing some additional design details.

Love to hear what people think?
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby High Desert » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:54 pm

I want one, that's what I think. 8)
To my eyes that just looks like it belongs in the back country. Makes me want to buy another Jeep to pull one with. Nice design Scott.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby schaney » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks Shaun, look forward to setting you up with one down the road.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby Txbum » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:15 am

Scott, Bravo!....I salute your designs....I have been an admirer of the TRAK Tvan for some time...However I really like your design better in some ways. Now if you could add a drop foot well at the rear, then I would be really interested. Would you consider a a six foot wide by 8, 9 or 10 foot long version? I have a NT 5x8 that I can use. What kind of price minus the trailer ? The NT trailer is built by Carry On was purchased at Northern Tool store. Wallet is getting hot... :thumbsup: Txbum , Rick
Txbum
Titanium Donating Member

Postby schaney » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks Rick! Yes, the Tvan trailers are nice. Maybe a bigger one down the road, the initial one will be ~5' x 8'. In theory, because you would be building your own floor, you could add a drop foot well at the back for standing up. I was figuring $280 in the $2900 for a HF frame kit on sale.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby MarkInMLB » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:11 pm

These designs are all awesome, Scott! I'm going to be watching closely as you move forward on them! :applause:

I wonder if there's a way of adding a bit of weather protection to the rear entrance. My first thought was a hatch-like rear entrance, more like a standard teardrop, instead of the side opening, but then I realized the simplicity and other benefits of the side-open. I'm just thinking, as was brought up by someone else, that in less-than-ideal weather, the entrance could get a bit wet. Maybe a small awning, or even the add-a-room would work nicely though?

Keep up the great work!
MarkInMLB
Teardrop Inspector

Postby schaney » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:07 pm

Thanks Mark! Yes, thinking about awning for the rear entry and side cooking area, both with wall and/or add-a-room options.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:03 pm

As I’ve been thinking about the camper, a few design aspects important to me seem worth noting. I don’t want to built “yet another Teardrop”. I’m envisioning it in the same size category, with rear entry and an elevated sleeping platform. I also plan on keeping inside sleeping focused, with activities such as cooking happening outside.

I’m very happy with the basic concept look of the TRK and the primary elements. My next step is testing and shaking out the size details. Making sure that average sized people fit comfortably and the flows work. I will make some cardboard mockups to do this.

Then I will build an alpha prototype platform for field testing and feedback this Summer / Fall. This will be a plywood prototype with all the key dimensions and many of the styling elements. The focus is testing livability, optimizing configurations and working the kinks out. It will provide something people can touch and crawl around in for getting feedback.

I know many are thinking, but when can I buy one? Realistically I would say early Spring ’14.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby rowerwet » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:34 pm

never owned a jeep, but I would love to see one of these in the rearview mirror of my Focus :thumbsup:
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby schaney » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:00 pm

Thanks roverwet, no need to own a Jeep, would look great in the rear view mirror of most vehicles :)
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby njg02 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:36 pm

Scott, your TRK is what I've had in mind to do. I've got a 5x7 trailer and I'm going to make a 'box' to fit inside and poke over the draw bar so it becomes a 5x8. The bed will be the same height as the trailer sides so that there is storage underneath. I'm not good with wood and not much better with steel but I'm going to make a frame out of square section steel and cover all sides to dust and water proof it. When we are done camping I can take it out and use the trailer again.
I thought about making a canopy for the trailer but sealing would be an issue for me.
Thanks for designing yours so that I can see what mine may look like.
Neil
njg02
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ssrjim » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:19 am

Here is what a buddy and I whipped up:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378790385.578065.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378790385.578065.jpg (34.12 KiB) Viewed 3108 times
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club