Dinoot Campers

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Dinoot Campers

Postby schaney » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:51 pm

For folks that are not familiar with Compact Camping Concepts, I’ve been supporting people building compact Tent Topped camping trailers for six years now. Last year I introduced a modular, bolt-together fiberglass trailer tub kit, see the thread Fiberglass Bolt-Together Trailers for details. This year I’m exploring expanding the tub kits into a modular “Teardrop” size camper.

At this stage one of the things I’m doing is bouncing various style ideas around and taking the pulse of what people like / dislike & why. This will help shape what the overall styling ends up looking like. It will also provide data for a design decision; should it be a rear entry style using a slide-out type side kitchen or a more traditional teardrop look with side door and rear galley.

Here are the high-level criteria guiding this effort:

1. Keep it affordable: Target price point for purchasing the primary components, including a Harbor Freight style bolt-together 4x8 frame kit is $2900.00

2. Leverage: Use existing Dinoot components for the base portion of the camper.

3. Modular: Camper must breakdown like current Dinoot tub kits into components sized for cost effective shipping.

4. Expandable over time: Can initially be built and used as a “shell”, then incrementally built-out and outfitted over time.

5. Frame: Buildable on a 4x8 bolt-together style frame kit or welded trailer frame.

6. Sweat Equity: Be a DIY project were investing sweat equity keeps it budget friendly while getting the satisfaction of building something with your own two hand.

Look forward to hearing what people think and getting feedback. Don’t be bashful with questions and input. Thanks in advance for looking and sharing your thoughts.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Re: Dinoot Campers

Postby schaney » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:52 pm

The plan is for the base tub kit to be a 59” wide x ~8’ long version of the current tub kits.

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:53 pm

Using parts from another project, this squared off looking possibility is one we refer to as a Safari camper. These parts are being designed for a Safari look Jeep hardtop product. Thought?

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby mezmo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:19 am

I think you are on to a good idea with these. You could try the rear
entry with side slide-out kitchen first - wouldn't that be the easiest/
most logical for existing or easily adaptable use of current components ?
Then try a more traditional TD layout, with double doors and the rear
kitchen, later, as an additional model.

Could you adapt a Jeep hardtop to act as a topper/upper roof on one of
your bolt-together trailers, or is that what your Safari project is about?

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby schaney » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:23 am

Norm, thanks for the input.

The current tub configuration does lend itself to a rear entry approach. I'm just taking a step back to better understand what people in the market for a camper of this size are looking for.

Yes, at a high-level for doing a Dinoot Camper, you would first build a tub, then build and attach a camper topper.

Using the current tub kits, people currently have a few ways to make their own custom campers. One is hacking up a couple old Jeep hardtops and the other is a modified pickup canopy. A Ford Ranger canopy is 60" wide, a Dinoot is 59" wide, just have to work out some details with the front of it.

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby mikerueve » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:14 pm

I LOVE the idea of some sort of trailer that I could bolt together. I just don't have the wood working experience to craft my own tear. Also the idea of customizing as we go is appealing. How much D.I.Y. would be involved to set it up? Would it be pre-wired? Would there be provisions for space for a battery? Would there be a place for a roof vent? I know, I know. lots of questions.

The rear entry isn't a problem, but as has already been said, I would want to see some sort of kitchen setup, or space for it, incorporated into the plan. I also like the size and the fact that it still uses the Harbor Freight trailer frame and the tub sits over it. Whatever we get, it has to be closer to 5' wide according to the wife so this would accomplish that too. I know that it might add expense, but what about windows on the sides somewhere?

Will it be somewhere along the lines of the profiles below? Or more rounded?
mikerueve
Teardrop Advisor

Postby schaney » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:37 pm

Mike, thanks for the feedback. Still working on determine shape / styling, so lots of details to work out. At a high-level, yes there would be DIY involved, not just Ikea like bolt-together. You would need to wire it and adding a battery would be no problem. Adding a roof vent will be no problem.

Plan is to have provisions for / optional kitchen available. Yes, it would be designed so you can add windows. Styling is not locked in at this time, this thread is for getting feedback on different potential looks.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:38 pm

Here are some sketches of a possible Teardrop style approach.

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby mikerueve » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:13 am

The tear design is GREAT!!!!. If it came in pre-fabbed sections that didn't require the wood-working skills, and tools, that I don't have I would definitely be interested. this looks real promising! I'll be watching with much interest...
mikerueve
Teardrop Advisor

Postby schaney » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:28 am

Thanks Mike.

Here are some sketches giving the Safari camper style a sloped front look and how it might be outfitted.

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby mezmo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:43 pm

Both the Traditional style TD and the Safari style camper
[classy lookin'] are worth your development efforts. I think there'd
be takers for both styles.
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby schaney » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:32 am

Thanks for the input Norm.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:37 am

Here is a possible Teardrop version Dinoot camper based on the Benroy style ones, and yes, that is Ben looking on

Here is a another side door approach with a squared off Safari top look

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby Greg M » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:04 pm

I'm liking the newest Safari design. It'd be much easier to ship flat packed, and gives that little bit more cubage,
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby mikerueve » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:15 pm

I agree with Norm. Heck, I'd be interested in either of the tear designs! You need someone to test a prototype? 8)

Seriously, I will be watching your progress with a lot of interest.
mikerueve
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers