2 + 2, raindrop, dinette, etc. plans

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

2 + 2, raindrop, dinette, etc. plans

Postby BigRedMachine » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:32 pm

Okay, we've been on this forum for awhile now reading, learning, and we're ready to build. we've been waiting on cooler weather. We know we want a 2 + 2, perhaps raindrop style, and dh has some building experience. But, he'd still like a tangible set of plans in hand before beginning. Weve looked at Kuffelkreek and deserttears...any ideas? Our goal is to use a 5 X 10 trailer, perhaps extended to 5 X 12, with a 5' height. any info is appreciated... Thanks!!!
Patrick & Bethany

Also, even though we're not to this point yet, can someone do an exterior poll? LIke, fiberglass, aluminum, finished wood, etc. to see why some prefer different things....
BigRedMachine
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:00 pm

aaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee BRM, welcome to the board, I saw when you first registered and wondered where y'all are...I am from Pineville, glad you came out of the dark to actively join us. Mike(board owner) is working on the Generic Benroy plans as we speak and hopefully he MAY have them finalized by the end of the year. Steve Frederick of this board is working on his build/plans CD and hopefully he too will have tham available by the end of the year. Also Andrew(angib) our across the pond brother has any number of plans/drawings available on his website...he is the originator of the 2+2. Other than that a modified Kuffel Creek Comet or a Desert Tears are your better bets for comercially available plans. here is a poll on sides that Ron did, I will bump it back up to the top of the Polls forum for you...PM if you have any specific questions I can answer for you about local supply options...and as always, when you start your build, take lottsa pics, 'cause we luv da pics
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby FOXxX » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:22 am

Hello All... First Timer Here.
I too have just recently divulged myself into the teardrop world and I've started on my first build. After looking at many many many different models, the Raindrop has stolen the show for me. Now with no plans in hand I've been able to draw out using my trusty pencil, BIG eraser, and my graph paper and behold something to work with.

Every project I've built has been out of wood. Never touched a welder and never priced metal for any reason. I've done my research and almost bought the trailer from harbor freight but could not get past how small the tires were. So I took a class on welding, went to a pull-A-part yard and yanked a Dodge Caravan Axle with leafs, bought my trusty Lincoln 135, 175 lbs of 2"x2"x1/4" angle iron and now I have a trailer for my new teardrop design.

I am too trying to figure out how I want to shell this camper (aluminum, wood, fiberglass) but not sure what is right for me. Well... I've made up my mind that I want Aluminum but I need more information on how to seal the seams. I've found 1 website that carries trimming but I am not sure what I am looking at. I can’t get a close up picture of any camper on the seam to see exactly how it is put together. :thinking:

I've got every detail worked out for this camper except for that. I hope the guys at Camp-Inn aren't too mad at me for copying their teardrop design. But Just MAYBE, I mean MAYBE they might be able to point me in the right direction???? :yes:

FOX
If I've got a vision, I will build it!
FOXxX
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:40 am

Fox, welcome, it seems you are well on your way...as to sealing seams...basically you use an aluminum angle on the outer seams...anneal, bend, caulk, screw it down and your sealed and your done...on doors and jambs, channel and "T" moldings w/a weather stripping...now where are the pics of your frame...sounds interesting...if you need info on posting pictures in your posts or putting them in your personal album click on "help with photos" at the top of page
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby angib » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:14 pm

Fox,

It might be worth adding that there are two alternative ways to use aluminum sheet:

- As used on most trailers here, the aluminum is a cosmetic and protection finish that's applied straight onto a waterproof plywood body. There are loads of member's sites (like in the Hall of Fame - top left) where you can see this being done. It's open to question whether the aluminum is a watertight skin in this method, or just a water-reducing skin.

- Commercial RVs use aluminum as an external waterproof skin on its own - it sits on just the framing in the walls/roof. A decent, if old, description of doing this is on the Glen-L site for building the Sequoia.

Of course, the two can be combined - people have commented that the Kuffel Creek plans suggest that the aluminum outer roof skin is applied directly onto the roof spars.

Did that make things clearer............, or less clear? :thinking:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers