Would you buy annother Teardrop your current maunfacurer?

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Would you buy annother Teardrop your current maunfacurer?

Postby Law Dawg (Ret) » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:42 pm

The bride and I are doing our homework and would appreciate your input. I really don't want this to go negative so please stick to the manufacturer you would buy from again. Things like quality of build customer service and follow up (when needed) would be really helpful. Thanks.
Law Dawg (Ret)
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Would you buy annother Teardrop your current maunfacurer

Postby tony.latham » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:59 pm

You might ask this question over on the Tearjerkers forum too: http://www.tearjerkers.net/new_forum/in ... c2233bc888

I think you may find more owners of commercially built 'drops there than here. But don't let me scare you off. (Ducking for cover/concealment.)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:39 pm

Yep! I would buy from the same manufacturer. The manufacturer was me; so, I know exactly what I've got!
If you can do it yourself and do a halfway decent job, you'll know how it was done and how to fix it if it ever needs fixing.
Plus, you can get most of what you think you want!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby working on it » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:23 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Yep! I would buy from the same manufacturer. The manufacturer was me; so, I know exactly what I've got!
If you can do it yourself and do a halfway decent job, you'll know how it was done and how to fix it if it ever needs fixing.
I'm not so sure about my builder. Overbudget, a planned 3-4 month build took 21 months, there were countless recalls and upgrades (still going on), and he's always suggesting new items. A pest. Unfortunately I am he.
Manufacturer's plate.jpg
Manufacturer's plate.jpg (107.47 KiB) Viewed 7688 times
I actually enjoy the building, modifying, and tinkering as much as the camping...but, I've done much more of the former than the latter. But, back to your subject: if I had chosen to buy instead of build, there are several mfgs represented here, with advocates for each...if you want customization, service after the sale, and such, I'd buy from the one (with recommendations from other buyers, of course) closest to your locale. Be sure to visit the build site, if you can; a shop in good working order tells a lot about build quality (I just condemned my build with this statement!).
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:38 pm

The company that built ours is no longer in business and it took a lot of work to unscrew the screwups, however we are pleased with it now. Were we looking for a replacement It would likely be a CampInn or a http://www.safaricondo.com/en/caravanes_R1713
Ours 109122
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby rockinrobin » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:38 am

I have owned a 2007 4x8 Pleasant Valley, a 2011 5x8 Silver Shadow, and currently a 2008 5x10 Pleasant Valley. I bought them all used, so no contact with the factory's as far as warranty or follow up. I would buy another. A good pre-purchase inspection is a must when buying a used trailer. Hope this helps! Ronnie :thumbsup:
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Law Dawg (Ret) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:07 am

S. Heisley wrote:Yep! I would buy from the same manufacturer. The manufacturer was me; so, I know exactly what I've got!

Work space, skill set, patience, and disabilities preclude me from a DIY rig. Well that and I want it to look like a decent TD instead of a dust bowl era camper made with beer cans duc tape and bailin' wire. And gang I realize this site is mostly a DIY crew, that's why this post was made in the "Teardrop Manufacturers" section...or was I thinking wrong again?

:wink: (I can see this smilie is going to be one of my favorites.)
Law Dawg (Ret)
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Law Dawg (Ret) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:38 am

Shadow Catcher wrote:Were we looking for a replacement It would likely be a CampInn or a http://www.safaricondo.com/en/caravanes_R1713
Ours 109122

Nice set up but whoo boy do they like their product! The light weight and amenities are a big plus however the price gave me heartburn. :D

rockinrobin wrote:I have owned a 2007 4x8 Pleasant Valley, a 2011 5x8 Silver Shadow, and currently a 2008 5x10 Pleasant Valley. I bought them all used, so no contact with the factory's as far as warranty or follow up. I would buy another. A good pre-purchase inspection is a must when buying a used trailer. Hope this helps! Ronnie :thumbsup:

My Google Fu is weak today...the Silver Shadow is from Little Guy, right? However the WWW does not give me the manufacturer for a Pleasant Valley TD.

Should add here that the TD will be towed by a 4 cylinder Outback and parked covered but outside on concrete. That's one of the reasons we are looking at the Nest Egg for now...light weight and water resistant construction.
Law Dawg (Ret)
Teardrop Inspector

Postby nevadatear » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:49 am

Pleasant valley was bought by little guy. They are now manufacturing the silver shadow.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby Law Dawg (Ret) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:56 am

Thanks Debbie. BTW love your TD. The wood ones are just so compelling...if I wasn't too lazy to keep one up that is.
Law Dawg (Ret)
Teardrop Inspector

Postby nevadatear » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:09 pm

Actually the upkeep is not that bad if you do it right the first time and keep it sheltered. Epoxy first, the several coats of marine varnish, renewed every 3-4 years.
Debbie (with Randy looking over my shoulder)
Our build thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41295&highlight=monstero
2009 Homebuilt woody, Kenskill inspired 5 wide
ImageImage
nevadatear
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:27 pm

Law Dawg (Ret) wrote:

Work space, skill set, patience, and disabilities preclude me from a DIY rig. Well that and I want it to look like a decent TD instead of a dust bowl era camper made with beer cans duc tape and bailin' wire. And gang I realize this site is mostly a DIY crew, that's why this post was made in the "Teardrop Manufacturers" section...or was I thinking wrong again?

:wink: (I can see this smilie is going to be one of my favorites.)

No, you weren't wrong and, to date, there's no duck-tape or bailing wire on mine. :lol: But, I did say "If you can do it yourself...." If I were going for a commercially manufactured teardrop, I'd seriously look at CampInn, (here we go again with the "if") if it is within ones budget allowances. I haven't yet met anyone who is unhappy with one of those. I personally think of those as the Cadillac of teardrops, especially their Raindrop. There are other, smaller manufacturers that seem to do a good job, too. Your best bet may be to look for what you want via the internet; and then in person, if you can, and narrow down your preferences, based on location and "likes". Once you've done that, ask people on the forum to PM you with their opinions of that/those particular brand(s). People can be more candid when sending a PM.

PS. That Safari Condo one appears to be very nice but I haven't seen one in person nor heard from anyone who has one yet. They are fairly new to the market, only been out a couple years. It all depends on what you are looking for.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Law Dawg (Ret) » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:03 pm

Thanks Sharon...really impressed with the Campinn units. The 550 lower end series is about where we need to be weight and price wise. You sure were not kidding about the Cadillac of TDs, these ooze quality. BTW nothing personal in my reply...I am on a hammock site with a bunch of DIYers very similar to y'all in focus. They tend to evangelize.

;)
Law Dawg (Ret)
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cherokeegeorge » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:30 am

I have had my camp inn 9 years. And would buy from them again. The quality is excellent. I've had no major problem just a few small upkeep type stuff. The guys at camp inn have great customer service. There are a lot of features in a CI that aren't in other manufacturers trailers. My daughter and her family are soon taking delivery of a raindrop model. I know their pricey but I think their worth it. :thumbsup:
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby mikerueve » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:39 am

Definitely would. My "manufacturer" is a small, one-man outfit (Bobby Morgan of Teddybear Teardrops outside of Atlanta).

Bobby was a joy to work with. We talked extensively about what our expectations were and he made sure that he knew exactly what I wanted. It was a complete custom build that he allowed me to help design to a certain degree. He sent me progress pictures at every step that allowed me to see where everything is/was placed under the skin. We've already taken it through many trips in most all types of weather and it is weather-tight with no leaks. His attention to detail and work ethic made it a joy to hand over the money at the end of the build. He had to make the hatch twice because he didn't like the fit of the first one. He didn't like the way that the original stain came out on the first two sides he made, so he cut out two new ones and did it again.

He missed his self-imposed deadline by two weeks due to crappy late-winter / early-spring weather and wanted to offer a discount due to that. He even drove it two and a half hours to deliver it to us! I refused the discount and paid our agreed-on price.

I would definitely do another one with him!
mikerueve
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers