Rustic Trail Teardrops

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Rustic Trail Teardrops

Postby dreamofcolors » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Have any of you heard of these guys?

http://www.rustictrailteardrops.com/

They are local(ish) to me in North Carolina, but I'm just not sure. I'm in the market for a camper, because despite the building skills, I live in a condo and don't have a garage or shop access, so buying ready-made is my only option. I'm more seriously considering a very far out-of-state builder, but would love everyone's two cents about these campers.

Thanks!
dreamofcolors
Teardrop Builder

Re: Rustic Trail Teardrops

Postby tony.latham » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:31 pm

I took a quick peek at their models. What struck me first was that I couldn't build a teardrop that cheap –unless my labor was free.

After studying his models, I think I understand how he's doing it. Single door and no galley on most models.

His doors look awful narrow and they might be hard to get in and out of since you're transitioning to, or from a sitting position in a 4' high camper. Mine are 26" wide and they are about right.

But they are inexpensive. If you do discuss having him build one for you, I'd sure ask how much for two doors. I can't imagine two people in a single doored teardrop. :x

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dreamofcolors » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:52 pm

tony.latham wrote:I took a quick peek at their models. What struck me first was that I couldn't build a teardrop that cheap –unless my labor was free.

After studying his models, I think I understand how he's doing it. Single door and no galley on most models.

His doors look awful narrow and they might be hard to get in and out of since you're transitioning to, or from a sitting position in a 4' high camper. Mine are 26" wide and they are about right.

But they are inexpensive. If you do discuss having him build one for you, I'd sure ask how much for two doors. I can't imagine two people in a single doored teardrop. :x

Tony

The single door was a bit problematic for me, too. And the galley door seems very odd on the models that do have galleys. But... the price is right. I should probably just stick with my original plan of the builder in Wisconsin. Even with a 16 hour drive and more money, it's is a better investment in the long run.

Thanks for your comments!
dreamofcolors
Teardrop Builder

Postby Redgloves » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:01 am

Agree with previous repsonse, the door are small. They offer a very basic entry level teardrop, with 110 option. No 12v available. Can the installed converter handle a small portable electric heater?

No galley, means you have to keep everything in the teardrop or tow vehicle. Very limited storage options inside. I personally do not like the extension cords or light cords hanging, which is a low cost approach to providing electricity. The light strip will provide enough light for you and a neighbor when turned on. There are no window coverings, so you would have to provide.

Foam mattress can be extremely cold in cold weather.

Continue your search exploring various manufactures and expert craftsman who are available to custom build great teardrops.

Jean
Geocacher, healthcare provider, mom and women with not enough common sense regarding personal safety when it comes to adventure outings!

Owner:
Uff Da Inn, a 2015 Camp Inn 560
Redgloves
The 300 Club

Postby dreamofcolors » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Redgloves wrote:
Continue your search exploring various manufactures and expert craftsman who are available to custom build great teardrops.

Jean

Thanks, Jean. I'm going to continue exploring manufacturers. Right now, I'm thinking of TC Teardrops out of Wisconsin. I am handy enough to make curtains, improve bedding, even do electrical wiring and improvements. I just can't build a trailer from the ground up!

I'm going to be patient... I've wanted a teardrop for a long time, and can wait a bit longer!
dreamofcolors
Teardrop Builder

Postby nuyork212 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:44 pm

I have one (5X10) and I have had no issues.... Its up for sale now only because I am looking for something bigger...

See for sale ...
nuyork212
Teardrop Advisor

Postby IamJerryP » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:04 pm

Nice basic camper, price seems great,
While it is Bare bones, you can add what you want, as you figure out what you need.
IamJerryP
Teardrop Builder

Postby mickeydsc71 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:47 pm

I purchased mine from Rustic Trail almost two years ago. At that time I believe Jonathan had a half dozen or so builds undertaken before mine, but he was very open to customization. He built mine as big as it could get and still fit in my garage - with three inches clearance. I would agree they aim for a minimalist TD, but the craftsmanship is good, and he uses Leonard utility trailer frames and Dexter axles. It was a good match, since I wanted to finish out the interior the way I wanted mine done. I've taken mine to Florida, Virginia, North and South Carolina, and have been very happy with it. The only issue I had was with the exterior porch light (the mounting bracket couldn't stand up to highway wind), but I've seen where he's replaced that and gone with a more streamlined model.

Here is a photo of mine ... this was right after I had some custom decals applied.

It's been a great TD for me and my son - Jonathan built a twin-sized bunk shelf in the front, and included supports for a full sized futon frame that I later fabricated and added, along with hardwood flooring. Mine also has A/C, internal LED lighting (which I bought and he installed), three AC outlets, and some other features.

I haven't really spoken with Jonathan for a while, but I'm glad to see he's still building and refining his line of TD's. I would definitely recommend working with him, especially if you want something custom AND affordable.

Mike
mickeydsc71
Teardrop Inspector

Postby WhitneyK » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:06 pm

I really like his designs. I got to thinking about his "step in" model that is only 48" tall :NC Didn't seem very tall (I'm 6'4") so when I got home I grabbed my tape measure to see how it compared to the Geo Tracker I was driving. :thinking: Hmmmm, interior height of the Tracker from floor to headliner was just a little under 48" and I have sufficient head room with the bottom seat cushion measuring 12" from the floor. As far as door opening width? No different than getting into the back seat of a 4 door car. One door should work fine since you don't have to crawl over the other person in bed, you can actually "shuffle" across the foot of the bed with your feet on the floor. AND you can take your shoes off AFTER you get in. ;)

Jonathon at Rustic Trail has some great thought processes :thumbsup: Minimalist design with a good price. Kind of wish I had built mine minimal and added to as the need arose. After finding his website a month or so ago, it got my wife to thinking as well. Originally, she was in "no mood" for me to build another camper. After putting around 15,000 miles on ours, we have got a good idea what we need and what we can leave at home. The only addition she would like is access to a potty in the middle of the night, which, with the Rustic Trail design, could be incorporated without much effort. We don't spend much time in one spot so sitting up the side tent is kind of a bother. While traveling across N. Dakota we even spent the night behind a C-store, a potty would have been real nice there since it wasn't a 24 hr store. 12V would be a must with our travelling habits of stopping wherever whenever and would be no big deal to add. We don't cook much if at all (no, we're not junk food junkies :lol: ) I'm thinking 5' tall would give a lot of under bed storage. Maybe even an access door in the back for the under bed storage? Big pull out drawer? Great place for camp chairs (that we never get to use), pop up canopy? :thinking:

Don't count anybody out because they have a different design or we'd all be in trouble. ;) (Not trying to start an argument or hurt any feelin's :oops: ) Some, like us, may not need or want "bells and whistles" just function.

Have never personally seen a Rustic Trail Camper nor have I ever spoke or conversed with the owner.

This is all IMHO and I realize nobody asked me. :roll:
Whitney & Tracie
Crothersville, IN

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Do not confuse what you hear with what I mean.

My build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=41955

160061-------------------------------101114
States we've drug our
li'l camper through. (44 States + Vancouver Island and over 45,000 miles so far)
WhitneyK
Gold Donating Member

Postby Camper Tushkeys » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:20 pm

After researching.... We've decided on going with Rustic Trails. We love the idea of floor room and the bed at the back along with a table inside. 8)
Just keep it moving.....
Camper Tushkeys
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Getaways » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:14 pm

If you are going with a model without a galley...might I suggest you look at the "Grub Hub". Available at Amazon, or directly from the manufacturer for $18 less. A little pricey, but it folds down very compactly and has wheels. I am looking at a model by InTech RV and they don't have galleys. So I've been looking at options. While more expensive than other similar products, the folded size and wheels make up for it, IMHO.
Getaways
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Cathy P. » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:18 am

We had the opportunity to see one of these that came into the RV park. Quality looked good and the owners' were happy with it, I think it was the Grizzly Bear, although I get the bears mixed up. They have been adding to their line, and have recently added an off road (ish) model, the "Kodiak Stealth". The company has really seemed to grow and reviews look good. Lots of youtube walk-thrus now.

They are now offering a kitchen (stove/sink/box) that fits in a rear hitch thing. Kind of interesting.
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Postby Sparksalot » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:58 am

I stumbled into the owner's group on facebook. Everyone seems to really like their choices.
Holy cow, Rose is a teenager now! Done? Surely you jest. A teardrop is never "done".

The Compass Rose build thread: viewtopic.php?t=23213

Inspiration: http://tnttt.com/Design_Library/Trailer%20for%20Two.htm

It's got a cop motor, a 5.3 LS plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. ~ Elwood Blues
Sparksalot
Silver Donating Member

Postby LostCajun » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:54 pm

I rented a Papa Bear, their small model, it fits a short queen up to door edge, with a little wiggle room between a little inside galley, its 5/8" plywood sides that are finished really nice inside and out, the ceiling is 2x4 insulated......its a bedroom on wheels, just under 1k weight......perfect for my 4 cyl. equinox....and my needs with air and a potty.....I am 5'11' almost and I could sit at the dinette, if I didn't have a mattress topper full time on the couch/bed/dinette......if it meets your needs its a nice looking and pulling unit.

I rented it back in June of 2018 to prove the concept that pulling a thousand pounds was a doable thing with my equinox....I pulled it about 2500 miles, half with a normal load and half overloaded.......lost about 5 miles to the gallon on smaller load and about 8 mpg on the bigger load, didn't really feel any different.

I then visited their showroom, and the Grizzly Bear fit me better.....as I would have been able to pull up pants a little easier, but the dry weight pushed my internal limits past where I wanted to be.....and even though less money than anywhere else for close to what you get.....still too much for me.....so I am building something.

here is that Papa Bear when I picked it up from Arron who rents it in Chattanooga area on Outdoorsy.....this might be an avenue to 'know' about teardrops before you buy or build....it was for me.
Building a teardrop or reasonable facsimile thereof
Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=70932
LostCajun
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Cathy P. » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:22 pm

It looks like the sons have taken over the business, and their website has greatly improved with LOTS of info and photos. Looks like more options are available, but they are still offering "barebones" units also: https://www.rustictrailteardrops.com/

They have a new cute little model: The Koala Bear
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers