What to Ask a Builder

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

What to Ask a Builder

Postby Rivulet » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:33 am

I'm looking at having a local builder build my first teardrop (I want some features that I don't usually see in standard tears, and don't want other features that do come standard). However, I'm not sure what to ask him to be sure that I'm getting a good product, mostly because he's just starting out with his business and I'm just starting out teardropping. I asked for references but if you have any other advice on what I should ask, let me know. Thanks all!
Rivulet
Teardrop Inspector

Re: What to Ask a Builder

Postby tony.latham » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:31 pm

Rivulet wrote:I'm looking at having a local builder build my first teardrop (I want some features that I don't usually see in standard tears, and don't want other features that do come standard). However, I'm not sure what to ask him to be sure that I'm getting a good product, mostly because he's just starting out with his business and I'm just starting out teardropping. I asked for references but if you have any other advice on what I should ask, let me know. Thanks all!

- How is the chassis finished? Is it primed and then painted?
-What sealant is used under the aluminum trim?
-What thickness of aluminum?
-Is the aluminum anodized or mill finished?
-What are the walls constructed out of? Thickness and type of plywood. Single layer or sandwiched?
-What does he use to finish the wood?
-Contact info of people that have purchased from him in the last year or so. References.
-How big are the door openings?
-What do the door windows look like and are they screened when open?
(-Do you want a straight 12V system or something with shore power?) Ask to look at the electrical fixtures he installs.
-What size wiring?
-What does he use to seal the bottom?
-When would he start and when would he estimate the project be completed?

As far as options, I'd get specific $ figures on any special tweaks. And have him put a Fantastic Fan in. That's a big deal in my teardrop mind.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom Kurth » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:35 pm

You don't state what kind of builder he is--house? barn? boat? #1 question therefore: Has he ever built an RV?

Best,
Tom
Tom Kurth
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 123jay » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:50 am

Time it will be finished... Time it will be finished .There been a few times the builders want every job that comes in. .So they will over book them shelf. The day they will start. What they will use to build your trailer. IN WRITING!!!!!!!!!! If its not on paper it never happened! A big one. Do they have the resources money wise .Do they have to get the money from the next trailer to build yours ,as they had to make a house payment. Sooner are later someone get no trailer no cash! You can have a 1,000,000 judgment and $2.00 see which one will get you a cup of coffee If it's not on paper it never happened!
401/2"X 48" open tailgate bolt together army kit around $450.00
If the world did not suck ,you fall off!
123jay
Teardrop Master

Postby Andrew Herrick » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:23 am

Tony's list looks awesome. I'd add a few things to it as well:

- What size of tires? 12-13" doable; 14-15" preferable.
- What type of insulation did he/she use? XPS and polyiso are the best. EPS is so-so. In general, double-bubble foil insulation is almost useless.
- Does he/she offer an owner's manual or a repair policy? Eventually, something WILL go wrong, and you'll want to know where you can get help.
- How will he/she title and register the trailer? There isn't a "wrong" answer to this question. He may be registered with the NHTSA, or he may register his product as "homebuilt." Either one works. As long as he/she has some sort of plan.

I say these things as an aspiring builder :R You can't ask too many questions! If you stump your builder, then he hasn't done his due diligence (been there ... :( ) And if he hasn't done his homework ... send him to tnttt.com!
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers