Yoter Toter? Anyone have one?

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Postby Tim & Lori » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:20 pm

For what it's worth, I went down to the factory in Sugarcreek, Ohio and met the owner, Joe Mullett. Cannot believe how helpful and enthusiastic he was in helping me. He really has a great setup there and loves to give "tours". The shop phone is 330-852-4811. Even though I told him I was building my own teardrop, he went out of his way to give me lots of tips, info and great prices on parts. The campers themselves are top quality in fit & finish and truly are Amish built. If you have any questions, give Joe a call-he'll go out of his way to answer your questions without ANY pressure.
won't be long now....
Tim & Lori
Teardrop Advisor

Postby clkelley564 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:13 am

Did you happen to ask them about their omission of a roof vent or Fantastic Vent??
Carol
MOUSE-KE-T@B
2007 ClamShell #2741
2009 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4.8 V8
http://mouseketab.blogspot.com/ Updated 07/12/2011

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/album_ ... c_id=13203
clkelley564
Teardrop Master

Postby Tim & Lori » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:59 pm

Actually I didn't. The whole "tour" was so interesting I didn't think about a lot of things like that until after I left. Next time I talk with them, I'll be sure to ask. I'm thinking about going back down this week.
won't be long now....
Tim & Lori
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gaelen » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:24 pm

I'm curious--how deep is the 'under bed storage area' in a Yoder Toter?

I did see that Keith is back on ebay with new listings and a new username, so his venture with the manufacturer must be off the ground now. :)
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby sid » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:41 pm

The storage area is the depth of a 2x4 (so 3 1/2 inches I guess) and covers the complete area of the bed.
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby Gaelen » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:08 pm

Thanks, Sid, that's exactly what I needed to know! You guys are the best!
Gaelen
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby Tear Fan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:40 pm

Gaelen -

On that subject, here's what I did to make that space a little more useable - especially for my wfe.
The problem was that the hole to lift the boards was in the middle of the storage space, so one had to reach halfway under the mattress to get to the handhold, then slide the board slightly toward the other side, as it extended under the lip of the door. (Clear so far? lol) I ripped about 3/4" off one long edge of each board and added a 1X4 to each side under the door. Now you merely have to slide your hand under the mattress a little bit, lift by the new handhole, and prop it up with a stick. Dixie Flyer, don't go pokin' anything with that stick, now! Anyway, added the piano hinges so one side lifts at a time. Now we have useable space under the whole bed. Yay!

On second thought, just look at the pics. :lol:

Marvin
Life is so short, we should all move more slowly. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Photos - http://flickr.com/photos/47726343@N00/
Tear Fan
The 300 Club

Postby sid » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:38 pm

I see a modification on the horizon soon...... :applause: :applause:

Thanks Marvin!
sid n side
"If you're going through hell, keep going......" Winston Churchhill

Side by Side - completed October 2008
sid
Donating Member

Postby Gaelen » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:51 pm

It looks like the perfect solution...I kept trying to figure out from the various pics I've seen of them how on earth that space could be accessible. The pics say it all...thanks very much for the idea, Marvin. It looks like it's stable enough that you didn't find any need to brace the center underneath where the covers are hinged together?

I really like these units, and the workmanship is obvious even from internet pictures. I keep switching between the 4x8 and the 5x8--not sure that the extra foot wide is worth the extra 200 lbs weight, but then again, I'm sure I'd use the extra foot wide if it was there!

I'm just hesitant to commit to one of the latest versions offered on eBay because it's a two-day haul for me to go pick up the trailer and get it back to CNY. Between lacrosse finals, ten days' traveling for work, a visit to Dr. Personality in NYC and some family business to take care of in June, it's looking like every single non-working moment from now thru the third weekend in June is already booked.

OTOH, I could just spend some vacation time and burn some days in the middle of the week... ;)
It might be time to drop Keith an email.
Gaelen
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby Tear Fan » Tue May 01, 2007 5:37 am

Gaelen -

Go for the 5X8! You will without a doubt be glad you did. The extra foot translates into 7 square feet in the cabin, or almost 25 cubic feet, and an extra cabinet. The galley is commensurately larger, as well.

As for the middle where the covers are hinged together, there are two pieces of plywood turned vertical under that point which provide support for the area immediately under the hinge. With three points of contact, the bed is very stable - no discernible flex.

Lastly, although no one has mentioned it, and you may not be aware that it is an "option," go for the spare tire. It's $150 - or was when I bought - but "whadya gonna do?" lol

That being said, I wish you good luck, whatever decision you make. My regards to Keith, and I hope to see you down the road somewhere.and BTW, son't be shy about adding your location to your avatar!

Marvin

Tear Fan
The 300 Club

Postby Dixie Flyer » Tue May 01, 2007 6:28 am

Dang, Marvin, That's a damn good idea! :applause:

I think I'll do the same thing. I may even hinge the stick so that when you lift up the panel the stick will automatically swing down in support.

I haven't even used that area cos it's basically a pain to get to.
I poked it with a stick..........
Dixie Flyer
Teardrop Master

Postby Tear Fan » Tue May 01, 2007 6:34 am

Great minds think alike! My wife and I discussed the stick-hingeing "thang" and never did make a final decision. It's probably the way to go. Don't go pokin' nuthin whith that stick . . . :lol:

Marvin

Tear Fan
The 300 Club

Postby Gaelen » Tue May 01, 2007 7:10 am

Marvin, thanks for the heads up about the spare, and the inside specs for the 5x8. The extra space does make the 5x8 seem like the better choice.

I'll be pulling with a bottom of the line 4cylinder 2.2L Chevy S10 five-speed pickup, with a ball mounted right into the truck bumper. It might be a 2.4L engine, but I don't think so--have to check. Although the truck is rated to haul 2000 lbs safely without any special options, and the bumper mounted ball is supposed to be able to handle 350lbs tongue weight and 3500 lbs (if the embossing from the factory is to be believed...), I don't have a tow package on it and want to keep things as light as I can. I'm hoping that having the five-speed will allow me to compensate for any excess drag on the engine.

It also has an aluminum custom cap (I think about 400 lbs) and ~ 250 lbs. of camping and dog training equipment (jumps, cages, tents, tarps, etc.) lives in the truck bed all the time. All of that comes off the 2000 lbs it's supposed to be safe to haul without a tow package. I don't expect it to go fast, but I do want it to get where I'm headed eventually, and hopefully without undue wear and tear on the transmission. ;)

BTW...I'm in central NY, smack dab in the middle of the state. :) And hopefully with a tear in tow, I'll be able to go camping more often. We have two seasons in this part of the world--ten months of unpredictable precipitation and two months of frantic road construction. :(
Gaelen
Gaelen
500 Club

Postby BDRCAR » Wed May 09, 2007 12:28 pm

In addition to the spare tire option I noticed there is also a side mount tent option ($595). Any of you current owners get this option? If so, can you share some pictures of the setup as well as your thoughts on the tent itself?

Thanks.
BDRCAR
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Classic Finn » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:22 am

Hi there Folks

I have a question for you Yoder Toder Tear Owners..

In 2006 there was a model which was white in color - most likely it was fiberglass exterior ... chrome like round fenders, and very nice aluminum wheels or equivalent...

Does anyone own one of these? 4 x 8 or 5 x 8.. would you happen to have photos of it?

If could you tell us about your experience with it? I guess it had a very nice Birch Interior...

More of a retro style..

This model has been on the back of my mind for some reason..

Best regards

Classic Finn
Royal Teardrop Society Scandinavian Bureau Chief of Staff

Classic Finn
Midnight Sun Voyager
Midnight Sun Voyager

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers