30SecondsToCamp: Not Sure What To Call It

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

30SecondsToCamp: Not Sure What To Call It

Postby Cathy P. » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:52 pm

This came in a newsletter that I get and I'm not even sure how one would classify it as it hitches into the hitch thingy of the vehicle and has no wheels, part of it folds out to make a bed for two. At about $3,500, there may be a small market for it, would be handy if you had a van with a bed and needed a little more sleeping space.
Could be something to duplicate in a build of your own:

http://www.30secondstocamp.com/
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Re: 30SecondsToCamp: Not Sure What To Call It

Postby GuitarPhotog » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:32 pm

OK, since it's just sleeping quarters, you still have to set up a kitchen somewhere, like the picnic table.

How do you open the tailgate or trunk of the tow vehicle to load/unload your gear (chairs, stove, water jug, etc.) with that on the hitch?

I think calling it "30secondstocamp" is disingenuous in that it's really "30 seconds to get in bed" but you still have to set up a kitchen etc. Where my teardrop is much closer to "30secondstocamp" because in addition to having my bed ready to go, I just lift the galley hatch and my kitchen is ready to use.

My $0.02 worth

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Cathy P. » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:32 pm

Although we aren't one of them, a lot of people don't set up a kitchen, they buy food out. I think it would be handy for a night or two as is, but beyond that you would need something of substance in your tow vehicle to make it work beyond that. It would make a decent extra sleeping space but beyond that.........
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Postby daveesl77 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:39 am

I am normally not a "nay sayer", but I can see so many things wrong with that.
You have a fair amount of weight far behind the rear wheels (even if only a couple hundred pounds), then add the substantial drag and downforce from the design itself, and this could be interesting while driving.
This will knock the mpg out of any vehicle.
How do you attach/detach? Seems you are stuck with this thing on the back for the entire trip. Or you have some weird clamshell that can fall over in wind if detached.
Access to the rear.
No galley.
It is a very expensive, badly designed bed, with a tent side. Buy a $50 tent, spend 5 minutes instead of 1, have more room, more convenience and more money to take on a trip.
I'm sure they sell them, but not to anyone I know.

Edit after reading more on their site - Weight is 275 lbs. Must remain attached to tow vehicle to use. Height is above a large SUV. Looks like it only uses a single hitch attachment point.
:thumbdown:
dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby DrewsBrews » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:51 pm

Seems it could be made less tall and lighter. Not sure why they had to make the back hatch rounded, looks awkward and probably extra weight. Really needs a second door. Also it completely obscures the license plate, which I could see some officers having an issue with.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers