inTech RV Flyer

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Re: inTech RV Flyer

Postby Doodlebugger » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:19 am

I live in the heart of a city. I needed a way to get back to nature. I’m not one for sleeping on the ground, so I began my search to find a micro camper that I did not feel claustrophobic in and can tow with my little car. It is a 2016 Kia Soul Base model 1.6 liter, 130 HP, 6-speed standard transmission.

So, I looked to see the tow ratings. Guess what…? Not recommended for towing in the US… But there are provisions on the car for the attachment of a hitch – go figure... And, at least two hitch makers sell class I hitches for the car in the US (200 lbs. max tongue weight – 2000 lbs. max trailer weight.)

I found the tow ratings at Kia UK’s official website. My vehicle is rated (in the UK) for 1212 lbs. towing an unbraked trailer – didn’t want to put brake controller on the car...

Then, looking at my states requirements: NY trailer law states "Trailers weighing over 1,000 pounds unladen, and trailers having a maximum gross weight in excess of 3,000 pounds, must be equipped with brakes."

Additionally I found, many states add "or trailers that do not exceed 40% of the GW of the towing vehicle when connected to the trailer (unbraked).

Considering this information: I took 40% of my vehicle curb weight of 2700 lbs. to be conservative (not GW of 3600 lbs. as stated in law) 2700 lb. x 40% = 1080 lbs. So, my interpretation is that my vehicle can stop safely with an unbaked trailer of 1080 lbs. or less.

So using NY requirements, I am in search of a micro camper of 1000 of less - the choices were / are limited. I looked at the Little Guy MyPod, but found it claustrophobic and expensive. The makers other models I found too small for sleeping and / or bit too cute for my taste…

Then my dealer, Hartleys Auto and RV in Cortland NY recommended I look at an an XLT MAX Flyer. I loved it for the interior room – no claustrophobia… They said they had a base model of 850 lbs. arriving soon… Waited six weeks and bought it the day it arrived…

My maiden was a few days ago and loved it… I use my car for cargo as I want to maintain towing stability (keeping the cargo forward of the car’s rear axle). When I camp I use the back of the car as a pantry.

The trailer tows well on the highway with no sway - I can maintain 65 around central and northern NY, but have to downshift to fifth on hills. I have to go through the gears on locally steep grades and the trailer can push when braking down these steep grades. Downshifting helps but must be careful braking down steep hills.

Hope this helps any of the small car owners looking to tow a camper…
Attachments
flyer03s.jpg
flyer03s.jpg (296.32 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
flyer04s.jpg
flyer04s.jpg (286.55 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
flyer02s.jpg
flyer02s.jpg (216.92 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
Doodlebugger
Teardrop Inspector

Postby G-Mac » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:55 am

It looks like you took the time to figure out what was safe and made a good selection. My InTech tows VERY nicely behind my 4-door Wrangler. Yours, without the kitchen, is lighter and should keep your tongue weight down to a normal amount as well.

Good luck with your new camper!!!

Doodlebugger wrote:I live in the heart of a city. I needed a way to get back to nature. I’m not one for sleeping on the ground, so I began my search to find a micro camper that I did not feel claustrophobic in and can tow with my little car. It is a 2016 Kia Soul Base model 1.6 liter, 130 HP, 6-speed standard transmission.

So, I looked to see the tow ratings. Guess what…? Not recommended for towing in the US… But there are provisions on the car for the attachment of a hitch – go figure... And, at least two hitch makers sell class I hitches for the car in the US (200 lbs. max tongue weight – 2000 lbs. max trailer weight.)

I found the tow ratings at Kia UK’s official website. My vehicle is rated (in the UK) for 1212 lbs. towing an unbraked trailer – didn’t want to put brake controller on the car...

Then, looking at my states requirements: NY trailer law states "Trailers weighing over 1,000 pounds unladen, and trailers having a maximum gross weight in excess of 3,000 pounds, must be equipped with brakes."

Additionally I found, many states add "or trailers that do not exceed 40% of the GW of the towing vehicle when connected to the trailer (unbraked).

Considering this information: I took 40% of my vehicle curb weight of 2700 lbs. to be conservative (not GW of 3600 lbs. as stated in law) 2700 lb. x 40% = 1080 lbs. So, my interpretation is that my vehicle can stop safely with an unbaked trailer of 1080 lbs. or less.

So using NY requirements, I am in search of a micro camper of 1000 of less - the choices were / are limited. I looked at the Little Guy MyPod, but found it claustrophobic and expensive. The makers other models I found too small for sleeping and / or bit too cute for my taste…

Then my dealer, Hartleys Auto and RV in Cortland NY recommended I look at an an XLT MAX Flyer. I loved it for the interior room – no claustrophobia… They said they had a base model of 850 lbs. arriving soon… Waited six weeks and bought it the day it arrived…

My maiden was a few days ago and loved it… I use my car for cargo as I want to maintain towing stability (keeping the cargo forward of the car’s rear axle). When I camp I use the back of the car as a pantry.

The trailer tows well on the highway with no sway - I can maintain 65 around central and northern NY, but have to downshift to fifth on hills. I have to go through the gears on locally steep grades and the trailer can push when braking down these steep grades. Downshifting helps but must be careful braking down steep hills.

Hope this helps any of the small car owners looking to tow a camper…
Gary
InTech RV MAX Flyer
Build (Mod) Thread: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67873
G-Mac
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Doodlebugger » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:22 pm

Hey G-Mac, thanks for the best wishes… I saw the mods to your Max Flyer – Wow… I’m starting lightweight and low cost to see where it takes me…

Best of luck…
Doodlebugger
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Doodlebugger » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:28 pm

Some addition information about the XLT Flyer Base model.

Brochure and website state 850 lbs. curb weight. Actual for my base model:
tongue weight - 166 lbs.
curb side weight - 370 lbs.
road side weight - 368 lbs.
total curb weight - 906 lbs.

The tongue weight was unexpected. Typical tongue weights are 10% to 15% of curb weight (that is without fluids, battery, propane, and cargo). So I would have expected 91 lbs. to 136 lbs. Since my car is a Kia Soul as my original post states - my max tongue weight is 200 lbs. (the limit of a class I hitch). With the addition of a battery - the tongue weight is around 210 lbs. Something to consider for the small tow vehicles.
Doodlebugger
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers