DROPLET camping trailers

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

DROPLET camping trailers

Postby DROPLET » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:03 pm

Hi.
I wanted to introduce DROPLET. www.droplet-trailer.ca
Droplet is a our modern take on teardrop trailers. It weighs only 950lbs, with 90lbs tongue weight.
We designed it very roomy, bright and light so the vast majority of cars can tow it.
Visit our website for more info and stay tune for our production launch.

Cheers.
Pascal
DROPLET
Teardrop Inspector

Re: DROPLET camping trailers

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:59 pm

The one big criticism I would make is a lack of brakes, particularly with a marginal TV, this comes from experience.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby dancam » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:11 pm

Huh, looks cool. I like that you plan to rent them out.
Shadow catcher- a 950 pound trailer is pretty light, on their website they say its for medium sized cars and up. Ive towed a 900 pound trailer with a subcompact car and the brakes worked fine. Midsized cars should do fine. Driving through mountains would either be something you do smart or dont do. Cant drive it like you would with the car empty. Adding brakes would make it unusable for a lot of its target sales and add weight.
If i was to buy one and wanted brakes i would just add it myself, pretty cheap. Perhaps it could be an option before sale?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby Cathy P. » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:55 am

I thought the larger door was a real plus, something I haven't seen with others, making it easier for someone with some "limitations" able to get in. Maybe put a magnetic screen door up, and almost like being outside! For someone with claustrophobic issues, and wanting a small tt, seems this would be just right. I liked the simple lines and thought the kitchen storage put it way ahead of anything else that I have seen. Of course, it is going to be made in Canada though which isn't a plus for me.
Cathy P.
Teardrop Master

Postby ae6black » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:07 pm

The brakes issue isn't just what the tv can do on dry pavement and on level surface. I've literally been pushed through an intersection when light turned red too soon. The Roads were wet and i slid right through. Compound that situation with perhaps a situation where you have to break hard down an incline and you have avoidance issues, like trying not to run into what is stopped right in front of you. I know I've run a trailer for years without brakes. I just knew my capabilities and potential problems and compensated accordingly. Just did a panic stop when someone did something stupid in front of me. The brakes made a world of difference.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby dancam » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:17 pm

ae6black wrote:The brakes issue isn't just what the tv can do on dry pavement and on level surface. I've literally been pushed through an intersection when light turned red too soon. The Roads were wet and i slid right through. Compound that situation with perhaps a situation where you have to break hard down an incline and you have avoidance issues, like trying not to run into what is stopped right in front of you. I know I've run a trailer for years without brakes. I just knew my capabilities and potential problems and compensated accordingly. Just did a panic stop when someone did something stupid in front of me. The brakes made a world of difference.

Art

Of course, having more brakes and/or more axles with brakes is a huge benefit. Im building my first small trailer and put brakes on it just because it should be a lot better. Even went with a 3500 pound axle instead of a 2k for the larger brakes. But i think its really all in how you drive. Hauling a trailer thats large for the tv is a choice and if you make that choice you have to be capable of driving extra careful.
Your better off driving super careful without trailer brakes than being overconfident in them.
Im not sure how big your trailer was but 900 pounds like this teardrop really is hardly anything. Its like having 3 heavy guys in your car or 5 skinnyish adults in your minivan.
For most people towing with a small car is something they do only because its not worth buying a larger vehicle for the 3 times a year you do it so they wouldnt buy a trailer with brakes and shoukd be diciplened enough to be careful those 3 times a year. I tow a lot more with a small car because i enjoy it but you have to drive it like you would one of these, not like your car empty.
Slow down mountains, slow around blind corners, lots of extra following distance-(if you cant pass someone when your 7 car lengths behind them you cant do it with 2 car lengths either) and yes you have to be careful to stop on time and pay attention for animals and all that. Ive never seen a red light go too soon, but things could easily be different where you are-i never have driven out of the country. Here there are usually pedestrian signals to let you see if its a stale green and the yellow lights last longer when the stop lights are on higher speed roads.

Adding brakes to one of these would be easy to do yourself and not cost much, but if they came with them it would deter a lot of potential buyers who would rather just drive carefully.

Like i said, i enjoy towing with a small car in all kinds of weather and roads, but in all the years ive done it ive come close to not being able to stop in time a couple times without a trailer, never with one. All in your attitude and care i think. Just like driving something big, except its way easier, lol. (Now watch something happen next time i pull a trailer...)
Oh and you have to know the condition of your vehicle yourself i think. Glazed pads/shoes, over/underinflated tires, old or worn out tires, worn struts, old brake fluid, calipers with sliders that havent been greased in a while all greatly decrease your stopping ability with or without a trailer.

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Postby friz » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:14 pm

I definitely notice my 500 lb trailer has a effect on my braking. Not sure I would be comfortable with a 900+ trailer without brakes.
The "Sin Bin"
friz
500 Club

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers