Coachmen Clipper Express 9.0TD V-PKG

Here's where you can talk to the manufacturers about custom built trailers, etc...

Re: Coachmen Clipper Express 9.0TD V-PKG

Postby PCO6 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:43 pm

Thanks. I have a lot more changes planned and will probably make a dedicated thread on it. I need to do a bit more though.

I sprayed Rustoleum Leak Seal over the plywood on the underside. I may brush something on later, maybe Rustoleum's product or FlexSeal. I sprayed the frame with the same product I use on my Jeeps to undercoat them - Krown T-40. I haven't had any problems underneath but I'm certainly keeping my eye on it.

The brakes work fine, no dragging, locking, etc. I had an old controller in one Jeep and the RV dealer put one in my other one. I can't recall the brand (I'll check my records) but they said it's the one they use on all of their installations ($85 or so). It worked fine and is easy to adjust as needed.

I smeared dilectric grease on a lot of contact points. I will also be adding a few junction boxes to the system to keep things organized and protected. Generally speaking I'll be covering all wiring, in and out, as I go. Next step is to set up the solar system. I have a 100W panel that will travel on the lid and be lifted off so I can follow the sun when camping. I'm trying to avoid having to replace the lid gas struts to compensate for the extra 25 lb. panel.

Hopefully you can add yours to this thread when you get it! :thumbsup:
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby Mike 1953 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:29 pm

I see there is a battery on the tongue. Was told that is an AGM, any idea what group. I have a AGM group group 27. It's holding a charge at 12.66v. Thought of putting it in the door beside the a/c and connecting it to the tongue battery.
Mike 1953
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:35 pm

The battery that came on the tongue of mine was a basic Group 24 car battery. It now sits in the tongue box of the trailer in my signature below. I put a Group 27 deep non AGM cycle battery in my Clipper. I'm thinking of adding a second one in the box now that the fridge and AC are gone and I have a bit of space to store some of the things that are in the tongue box.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby Mike 1953 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:54 am

Have you done any winter camping.
Mike 1953
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:06 pm

I haven't winter camped in a LONG time so no as far as my Clipper goes. I hope to get out in April for 2 or 3 days which can be cool and will not likely involve snow … it could though. I've only used the heater once and that was in late September, so not that cold here. We just fired it up to warm the trailer and then it off for the night. It worked great. I want to give it a good test at home this month or next just to see how it goes.

Also, I checked on the brand of brake controller that the RV dealership installed and it is a TEKONSHA. It has worked well.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby Mike 1953 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:36 am

A number of years ago my girlfriend and I did 2,500km of crown land camping. Check out this site to find Crown land https://freecampsites.net/#!103805&query=sitedetails . The furnace is a bit of over kill. I drive a 2019 Ram 1500. I plan on putting 20lb propane tanks in milk crates and securing them to the plywood floor in the truck bed. This furnace will use a lot of propane. However due the trailer being so small I would probably keep the thermostat to a comfortable 50 degrees F. Body heat alone will help a lot. I usually pan for gold where ever I go. I'm the type of guy who can't just sit around and do nothing. I have a 1200 watt Champion generator. I built a sound box to cut down the decibel level. Going to do a sound check today and will post detailed photos and info a little later.
Mike 1953
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:44 am

Crown Land is a no go for my relatively new to camping wife. The closest I get is to setting up a base camp of sorts in a Provincial Park and heading out to explore on day trips from there. The link you provided is a good resource. I tend to use Back Roads Map Books and similar maps for planning purposes.

Are you in Ontario? Camping from April to October (November?) isn't going to get all that cold. I really don't see that we're going to need the Clipper furnace all that much. My wife might disagree. As shown above, I downsized from a 20 lb. tank to a 5 lb. Cooking for a week hasn't come close to using that up. With the water heater going in, I will be adding a 2nd 5 lb. tank on the tongue (the blue water tank is coming off). I have a 3rd 5 lb. tank that I carry in a plastic pail of sorts when I need it without the trailer. I could carry it with the trailer if needed, but I doubt I will.

The dealer we bought our Clipper at (Globetrotter RV, just north of Orangeville) said they've sold quite a few of them but I've yet to see one anywhere but on their lot. I'll be at the Toronto Camping and RV show next weekend and I'm hoping they will have a V-Pkg. trailer like yours there. I want to steal ideas! lol As you probably know, there isn't very much on line either other that dealer advertisements. As for modified Clippers, well … I'm looking forward to seeing what you and hopefully others come up with! :thumbsup:
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby BURNSIDE468 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:36 am

We too bought the 9.0TD V-PKG last fall and have enjoyed it. Stepped back down from a TT to get back to the type of camping we enjoy. Never understood the A/C fridge in an "off road package" so took that out and built a locking/sliding shelf for an Alpicool DC fridge, it has worked well. We are in the south and just can't bring myself to take out the AC even though we don't really camp in the heat.

My biggest complaints are related to the door handle, I am constantly catching that screen door type handle on my pants and/or jacket exiting the trailer. Ripped it completely off one trip, they replaced for free.

Also, I am going to look at replacing the sink with a flipped down faucet version since it always seems to get turned on when you are lowering the top unless you secure the faucet. Am I the only one?

What is everyone using for an awning setup? I keep looking at the Slumberjack Roadhouse Tarp thinking that might be a good solution.

Looking forward to some 9.0TD conversation.
BURNSIDE468
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:58 pm

BURNSIDE - Regarding awnings, we just use a 10'x10' pop up canopy for ours. I've seen some where they do they same and put off the back side. I have a Smittybilt 6'x9' canopy that's designed to attach to a vehicle roof rack or something similar but, as you know, with roof angle of these you'd have to come up with alternate way. I like the extra space of the canopy anyway. I don't like the set up that Coachmen offers for these.

We haven't had any problems with our door handle. Ours is an early model and the door swings open to the passenger's side. I've seen some later models and it swings to the driver's side. I have no idea why they did that.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby BURNSIDE468 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:57 pm

Our dealer was kind enough to throw in the Coachmen canopy, but it is useless, it will not be traveling with us. Too difficult to setup and not very much coverage. I may see about taking advantage of the built in zipper on the top and fabricate something to cover the door entrance. A free standing canopy does make sense for the rest of it. I also want to attach something to the hardside door and velcro the fabric door section to it so it opens as one unit. I ordered a couple of those connectors (the one that attaches the short metal rod to the canopy support and bent a piece of conduit so we now have a place to hang jackets and things. Every time we go out camping there always seems to be a new idea pop up.
BURNSIDE468
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:57 pm

BURNSIDE468 wrote:… Every time we go out camping there always seems to be a new idea pop up.

That's the truth! … and that's a good thing.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby BURNSIDE468 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:15 am

Can you tell me about your instant hot water heater selection? pros..cons..
We had an instant hot water heater in our last TT and it was "ok", seemed a bit intermittent. Was thinking of a separate outside heater for showers and dishes.

BTW, I contacted Zamp Solar and they confirmed that for the Viking Express "solar prep" meant just the connection port without a controller as all of their portable panels come with a built in controller.
BURNSIDE468
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:22 am

BURNSIDE468 wrote:Can you tell me about your instant hot water heater selection? pros..cons..
We had an instant hot water heater in our last TT and it was "ok", seemed a bit intermittent. Was thinking of a separate outside heater for showers and dishes.

BTW, I contacted Zamp Solar and they confirmed that for the Viking Express "solar prep" meant just the connection port without a controller as all of their portable panels come with a built in controller.

In reverse order … I did NOT know that re the "solar prep". Thanks! I have a 100W solar panel and have temporarily mounted a controller in the box I added to the tongue. I planned to use my own controller so I guess I was on the right track and didn't even know it.

I use an Eccotemp L5 on demand water heater. While travelling, I store it in the place where the fridge was before I took it out. I also shortened the 30 amp electrical cable down to about 18". That provided room for a SHURFLO water pump. I use a 20 litre Scepter water jerry can that simply sits on the ground outside the trailer. The pump sucks from the can into the trailer and then out again under the trailer via pex piping to the water heater. The heater is mounted to the trailer using parts of the kayak mount that I built. I plumbed propane and water lines so that everything sits right below the heater. I'm just finishing this off now in time for a week trip in early July. I have tested it and the water is HOT! I'll try to take and post some pictures of this later today.

In the meantime …

Last edited by PCO6 on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby PCO6 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:11 am

BURNSIDE - Here are a few more pics of our water set up. We will use it for the things you want to, primarily showers and dishes. When I put it together, any intermittent flow, sputtering, etc. seemed to be the result of the pump sucking air through a loose fitting (my fault). When good flow gets to the heater everything works fine. I used several quick connects so most of it comes apart pretty quickly if I have to do any trouble shooting.

The heater attaches to the frame by using parts from the kayak/roof rack I built. I use hitch receiver locks in both cases so this thing is locked in place. I built in a pull out pipe for loading the kayaks. It also serves as a shower curtain rod. A privacy tent for our porta-potty forms the 3rd side of the shower area.

I turned the fridge vent panel into a pass through door. I pull the heater and water can out from where the fridge used to be.

The pump is screwed to a kitchen cutting board that I cut down and "floats" on a rubber router pad. When turned on, it doesn't move and it's very quiet. The hoses are looped around to also lessen vibration and noise. As mentioned above, I shortened the electrical cord to provide the space needed for the pump. The pump has plumping and electrical quick connects and takes 30 seconds to remove. Water enters the trailer via the port seen on top and exits it via a silcox through the floor.

Here's what I added to connect the heater. From left to right … a "bash guard" to protect the propane quick connect. A 2" receiver tube to attach the post for the heater. A second silcox which is connected to the one at the pump via 1/2" pex tubing attached to the frame under the trailer. I also added a second 5 lb. propane tank and plumbed it to the new quick connect. I carry two 5 lb. propane tanks on the trailer box and another one on my Jeep so I'm almost back to the 20 lb. tank the trailer came with. I'm not worried about running out.

I've used this set up in my driveway but haven't tested it while camping yet. It better work! As for pros, I chose an Eccotemp L5 heater and SHURFLO pump mostly based on on-line consumer reviews and watching YouTube videos on how they were set up and used. I'm mainly looking forward to not having to warm up water for dish washing and relying on campground shower facilities or nothing at all. As for cons, none yet. If it breaks down that will be a BIG one!
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby BURNSIDE468 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:01 am

That is a nice looking setup! With the V-Pkg we have the outside shower, but haven't truly given it the proper field test, that's coming. I do like the thought of the instant heat option, if the manf setup doesn't perform well then I am heading in that direction. Working on a setup to have the shower/toilet stall supported by the manf roof rack.

My next project is to come up with a quick and easy door awning that the wife wants. Just something to cover your head while entering/exiting the trailer. She doesn't like tripping hazards on the ground so it will have to be a drop leg type version. Also want it to provide some window coverage so we can keep the window flaps 1/2 open during a rain.

I also want to add some SS snap fasteners to the corners of the canvas and trailer, seems to loosen up a bit with the in/out usage of the door.

I need to get some pictures up...…..
BURNSIDE468
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Teardrop Manufacturers