folding bikes

Teardrop shaped bicycle travel trailers & related information

folding bikes

Postby KennethW » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:59 pm

Has anyone used folding bikes for teardrop camping? I am not a avid cycles. Just want some thing to get around the campground with. A folding bike, I think would fit in the tear or in the TV without having a outside bike rack.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: folding bikes

Postby Gladtobehere » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:08 am

I have one of these. http://dahon.com/bikes/speed-d7-street/.

It is relatively compact. The biggest problem I had was trusting such a tiny bike. But once you get past that it performs well. It is a 7 speed but the lowest gear isn't low enough for all the grades you may encounter.
Gladtobehere
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KennethW » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:54 am

Thank for your response. Sound like a very usable bike that can be transported inside. :thumbsup:
My though is.
In that the folding bike is inside it does not cut mileage on a longer road trip. and less likely to be damages or stole off a car bike rack.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:20 pm

Some of our teardrop friends love their folding bikes.
Some come with a caring case so it's easier to load and they don't grease up other things in the tow vehicle.
I've thought of getting a couple but our tow vehicle is pretty loaded up, especially when my wife takes her 4' tall harp that fits snugly between the seats.
Also I'm not fond of the idea of a bike in the tow vehicle in the event of a traffic mishap.

We simply attach the bike rack on the rear hitch receiver for our two full sized bikes.
I don't think they impact my gas mileage to really worry about it.
Our friends with folding bikes can keep up with us while riding the Yosemite Valley bike trails.
I'm able to transport a 10# bag of ice on the rear of my full size bike to our campsite, don't know how feasible it would be on a folding bike.
The only down size for us is you need to remove the bikes and rack to open the galley, so we eat out when traveling, which isn't a bad thing.
I guess it's all a matter of what works best for your situation.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Gladtobehere » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:24 pm

The trick for any bike when you need to carry something is a trailer. I made a trailer from an old aluminum pack frame and a couple of 10 inch pneumatic tires off a baby stroller. The biggest load I have handled is 40-50 lbs of camp fire wood. And it also works as a hand held dolly. I have also packed the lawn chairs and sun shades to the beach. The trailer will also fit a Rubbermaid. Bin for carrying the groceries.
Gladtobehere
Teardrop Advisor

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:41 pm

Gladtobehere wrote:The trick for any bike when you need to carry something is a trailer. I made a trailer from an old aluminum pack frame and a couple of 10 inch pneumatic tires off a baby stroller. The biggest load I have handled is 40-50 lbs of camp fire wood. And it also works as a hand held dolly. I have also packed the lawn chairs and sun shades to the beach. The trailer will also fit a Rubbermaid. Bin for carrying the groceries.

That, in my opinion, defeats KISS (keep it simple stupid) that teardrops are about.
We don't want to carry any more junk than what is needed or necessary.
We use a propane fire ring to avoid packing firewood and all the associated mess.
Besides, California prohibits out of state firewood.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Gladtobehere » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:03 pm

Only out of state?? We have regional restrictios on fire wood. I get firewood at the camp ground . I do not pack it . Yeah a trailer for the bike is more stuff but very practial. I guess I use a bike more and prefer wood over propane for hot dogs and marshmallows.
Gladtobehere
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Bicycle Travel Trailers