One We Won't See for a While, Now!

Teardrop shaped bicycle travel trailers & related information

One We Won't See for a While, Now!

Postby grant whipp » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:02 am

For the last year or so, a friend of mine has been developing & prototyping a bitchin' little teardrop "cot & tent" bicycle trailer, but I've been keeping quiet about it at his request. Just last month, he showed me the near-final prototype, and explained that there were only a couple of tweaks to the tent that needed to be done, then he'd let me photograph & share. Last week, his shop/home burned down ... a total loss of everything, including personal possessions ... he escaped without injury, thank his lucky stars, but I'm afraid it's going to be a good long while before I'll be able to share his near-perfect solution to cycle-camping-touring. Please join me and give good thoughts & positive energy & great vibes that John finds the strength, support & courage to not let this tragedy stop his dreams & efforts.

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Re: One We Won't See for a While, Now!

Postby cuyeda » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:28 am

My heart sank reading your post, and hope there is a light at the end of this dark tunnel for your friend. I hope he had insurance to help get him back on his feet. It is unimaginable to lose everything, unless you have been through it. We will light a candle for your friend so that he knows there is hope.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Woodbutcher » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:40 am

What a shame, but at least he was not hurt. I can't imagine what I would do without a shop. It sounds like his was a major part of his life. Lets hope for a quick resolution and he is rebuilt and back to work on his dream project real soon.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:44 am

Oh man, sorry to hear! Glad he is alright!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:12 pm

That's gut wrenching. Sorry to hear this. :(

Tell him the only way to go is up and, the next time he builds, it will be better than the first because he'll not only know how it's done but he'll know how to improve it.
Meanwhile, I hope he has found some place pleasant to live and can stay positive about his future.

I wish you had taken some pictures of it to share posthumous, so it could rise from the ashes, if only in our minds.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Such devastating news for your friend Grant. My prayers and best wishes to him that his life returns to normal in the quickest possible time.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby Betsey » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:25 am

Saddened to hear of John's great loss. Glad to hear he is safe.

Having once lost the shop to fire, we know how tired, frustrated & weary it can make you, especially when your dream was involved.

We cannot imagine losing our home, as well.

Insurance is important but the support of family, friends, neighbors & the community are even more vital to picking up, rebuilding & continuing on with the dream. It is amazing how much words of encouragement & concern, as well as offers of help & the unexpected generosity of others can made a huge difference in how you are able to face each day. It made a huge difference for us & we are grateful for it.

So, to John...Your dream is needed! Don't give up! Take your time. May your vision & the support & encouragement of others help you move forward with rebuilding, & with your dream still in site, make it even better. :)

Our very best to you,

Betsey & Craig
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Sorry to hear that Grant. At least your friend is okay. Maybe someday hopefully, he'll revisit the bicycle trailer.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby 48Rob » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:30 pm

Grant,

Perhaps if he can recreate the teardrop "cot & tent" bicycle trailer, and market it, he could profit enough to rebuild his shop and home.
Sounds like an idea with promise...

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby planovet » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:02 pm

48Rob wrote:Grant,

Perhaps if he can recreate the teardrop "cot & tent" bicycle trailer, and market it, he could profit enough to rebuild his shop and home.

Rob

Worth a try! :thumbsup:
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby grant whipp » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:51 pm

planovet wrote:
48Rob wrote:Grant,

Rob

Worth a try! :thumbsup:

I'm sure that is in the cards! His dream & vision was (and hopefully still is ...) to bring the trailer to market.

He is a pretty private, Viet Nam Veteran (that should tell you a lot right there!) ... and I have not yet been able to find out how to get back in touch with him ... when I do, I will pass along all of your well-wishes & prayers, which I'm sure will mean a great deal to him ... :thumbsup: ...! As I'm sure some of you can imagine, he's no stranger to adversity, and he will recover from this loss, too ... how long it will take is the question. If you know guys like him, you know that it can happen right away, but they wear the scars for a long, long time. From what I know and have seen, he's got a helluva support team "in the wings" as it were ... ;) ...!

Thanks, everyone! And, as always ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Return to Bicycle Travel Trailers