teardrops.us

Threads about the forum, forum software, forum features, etc

teardrops.us

Postby mikeschn » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:27 pm

Hey Guys,

BG has been doing such a good job with his webserver, offering to host our photos for us, etc... I thought I'd put him in the spotlight!

So now, he's on the menu!!! 8) Please don't roast him! :lol:

The beauty of BG's website is that you can post those images directly into a post here! And it's free too!

I learned today that you can also make a webpage complete with photos and put it on BGs site. The heck with freewebs... the heck with all them places that limit your bandwidth, or your space. BG is giving us everything, no limits, free! What more could you ask for?

Just for grins and giggles I posted a web page there this afternoon. And here's what I posted...
http://www.teardrops.us/userfiles/mikeschn/index.html

It's not hard once you know the urls to use. You can view the source in my index file above. Or maybe we should post a tutorial. Your thoughts!!!

Mike...

BTW, thanks BG.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:30 pm

Mike, I'm for a tutorial. I went and registered when it was first mentioned, but was not sure what to do next.... seemed like one big open bucket. Could not figure out how to create a url, like I have done in freewebs.....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:44 pm

Okay, before I do a tutorial, I need to find the easiest html editor ever... Help me out guys. I use Hot Metal Pro, but that's way too much power. Show me simplicity. What's the easiest html editor out there?

All I want to be able to do is type some wysiwyg text, and paste some photos. Any suggestions?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:47 pm

arnereil wrote:Mike, I'm for a tutorial. I went and registered when it was first mentioned, but was not sure what to do next.... seemed like one big open bucket. Could not figure out how to create a url, like I have done in freewebs.....

BTW Arne....

Here's how your url would look assuming you registered as arne... and created a webpage called index.html

http://www.teardrops.us/userfiles/arne/index.html

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:47 pm

Did we go off on the deep end? Is this more than you want to bother with. Please let me know... It's easy enough to retract!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby DANL » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:57 pm

Here's a nice, simple, free basic web editor. AOLPress was abandoned by AOL but is still downloadable. You don't have to use it with AOL or have anything to do with AOL if you don't want to. It comes with a tutorial and there are lots of supporters on the web.

http://members.aol.com/rjdriver/aolpress.htm

I use Namo Web Editor 6.5 for complex web work but still keep a copy of AOLPress on the computer for less sophisticated pages. Truly worth a look.

And if you are looking for an easy, fast, free photo program to prep photos for the web, follow this link to Photo Filtre. It's a quick 1.6 Mb download.

http://www.photofiltre.com/
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:24 pm

Mike, back in a former life I used to be a programmer.. I'm not too interested in writing code any longer... that is why I like freewebs. It tells me to put some text in and a pic and it puts it into some generic format.... that's really all I need...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:50 am

Cool! 8)
Thanks for the link button on our page header! :thumbsup:

Postby asianflava » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:19 am

How bout Front Page? I'm still playing with it so I'm not shure if it is any better or worse than any other wysiwyg.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby BufordT » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:12 am

All I have to say is THANKS BG.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Tutorial

Postby OkieSailor » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:36 pm

How about a short on how to put a photo into a block on the board. Or did I miss that one?
Yes OkieSailor is an Oxymoron!!
OkieSailor
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dovaka » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:32 pm

i still say the best editor is notepad

but generally i use html-kit it always you to edit files on servers without downloading them it also has a wysiwyg setup for makign pages but i never use it so i cant say how great it is but the program is also free

http://www.chami.com/html-kit/download/
dovaka
The 300 Club

Postby TomS » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:29 pm

dovaka wrote:i still say the best editor is notepad

but generally i use html-kit it always you to edit files on servers without downloading them it also has a wysiwyg setup for makign pages but i never use it so i cant say how great it is but the program is also free

http://www.chami.com/html-kit/download/

Notepad is adequate for editing simple pages one at a time. I often use it as a scratch pad. But, there are many times when I need a more sophisticated editor. The ability to perform global search and replaces across dozens or hundreds of files located in multiple folders is a real God send!

I use Homesite 4.0. as my primary editor Yeah, I know its old. But I've been using it for years and know it like the back of my hand.

I never edit on files directly on a web server. I ALWAYS dowload them, edit them locally, then send them back up to server. Its one of those I learned the HARD WAY :cry:
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

PICS Tutorial

Postby Guy » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:27 pm

PICS ARE EASY

1. go to http://www.teardrops.us/

2. Sign up and after you have been approved for membership, then

3. Go to the upload page and list the pics on your computer you want to upload. ONLY JPG or JPEG

3. Hit the upload button.

4. After they finish uploading you will go to the "your files" section and see them listed.

5. You then click on upload and it takes you back to the upload page where you first listed your lpics. This time around you click the box that under the part that says 'do this after files are uploaded' (make an x in this box) Make vBB post with [IMG] tags.

Now go back to your "files" section. and all your pics areuploaded and ready to be seen here.

When you are desiring to post them here, you start writing your post and when you want to insert a photo:

1 you click on the button on the toolbar below where you put in the subject of your post. that button is marked "Img*"

2 then you go to teardrops.us to the files section and right click on the photo you want to post. whenmyou right click you will see a selction called"copy link location" select that option .

3. Go back to your draft post and paste that location right after the "[img]" mark that was previously placed there when you had hit the button.

4. Then hit the blue "close tags" underneath the toolbar.

Voila, you have posted a pic.

Repeat depending on how many pics you want in the same post.

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dovaka » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:42 pm

i really like textpad over notepad it has a lot of little features that make it nice for editing like syntax high lighting and many of the feautres you listed
dovaka
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Threads about the forum!