Photo display changed?

Threads about the forum, forum software, forum features, etc

Photo display changed?

Postby angib » Mon May 07, 2012 5:50 am

Is it just me or has the display of photos changed for everyone? I find even quite reasonably-sized photos, like 640x480, are getting cropped in a box with sliders to view the cropped parts.

On other forums I've seen where the User Control Panel allows users to choose what size to display without cropping. Is that something that could be switched on for this forum? It's a shame on a windscreen monitor to see photos cropped in a box when the forum 'page' is using less than half the available screen width.

Or is it because I've switched to Firefox 12.0 and I don't know that it's me that has done this?
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Re: Photo display changed?

Postby parnold » Mon May 07, 2012 7:44 am

I have noticed also that some photos are in small boxes with sliders. I don't know why? Mine are posting correctly. Perhaps the posters are using a different method than me.
parnold
Donating Member

Postby Lancie49 » Mon May 07, 2012 7:50 am

My pics are appearing very large with both horizontal and vertical sliders as shown here.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=50244&p=933460#p933460

I'm using "Upload Attachment" to post my pics.
Lance & Anne
Completing a Project
TD Stubby
Lancie49
Teardrop Advisor

Postby wagondude » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:51 pm

I have noticed that it happens mostly with the folks uploading to their posts from Tapatalk or other mobile apps. The pics posted from the gallery post the small clickable pics.

Bill
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby danlott » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:26 am

This happens when someone adds a photo as an attachment. To me this is very annoying and I think lazy. People should upload their photos into thier album and them add a link to the image when they post. This would display the photo properly. Also this allows your photos to be located in your album so that everyone can view them at once. When you add photos as attachments they do not get placed in your photo album and are only tied to the post that you attached them to.

With the new forum program there are several ways to display photos.

Here is what I think is the proper way. This is when you place the photo in your album and then link it in your post as an image.

Here is a way that I have been seeing some people use lately. You have to click on the picture to see a larger version of it. This is still annoying to me, but I can see the benifits of not having to load the full size image when you are more interested in just reading the post.

And this is when someone adds the photo as an attachment. When the photo is larger you will get the scroll bars. You can get rid of the scroll bars by clicking once on the picture and that will enlarge the picture to full size, but this to me is the most annoying way of posting a photo.

coleman 200a.jpg
coleman 200a.jpg (23.93 KiB) Viewed 1625 times

That is my opinion though, so do what you wish.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:36 pm

Dan is right.

Do we need to change the rules?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby starleen2 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:17 pm

When posting a picture from photobucket – it automatically resizes the picture for web applications. I prefer to link to an offsite picture repository to keep the forum file size down. Storing all those pictures in albums will certainly increase the need for more storage.
An example:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

Postby danlott » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:26 am

mikeschn wrote:Dan is right.

Do we need to change the rules?

Mike...

This is up to you Mike. I do like having the ability to add attachments, something like a SketchUp file, but adding photos as attachments is just annoying to me. I was fine with the way it was before the new forum update, but everyone was constantly trying to explain to newbies how to add pictures. The problem I see with it now is there are many ways to add pictures now, which is both good and bad.

Dan
Hoplite Traveler Build thread
Image Image
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
danlott
Donating Member

Return to Threads about the forum!