New Your Posts Count

Threads about the forum, forum software, forum features, etc

New Your Posts Count

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:52 pm

Hey Mike,
How difficult would it be to add a counter for how many unread threads a person has in new posts in the 'View your posts' header link (similar to the counter for new PM's)?

I frequently wonder if there are new posts that I have in my wake while I am off getting caught up on other postings, whereas, I seldom ever have new PM's.
'View your posts' is my most frequently viewed internet address. :oops: ("Hello, my name is Kevin and I have an addiction...")

Just wondering if this would be easy to add, and whether others would find this useful.

BTW, I always wonder how other people manage to find the time to cruise other trailer forums, vintage or otherwise. I can't even keep up with all of the excellent content here. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: New Your Posts Count

Postby jseyfert3 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:15 am

Another forum I frequent had a "View unread replies to your posts" link. Clicking this gives you a page showing a listing of all threads you have posted in that have replies you haven't seen. Clicking one of these threads then jumps you to the first unread post in that thread. This list is updated every time you click the link, so if you read the replies after your post and then come back later, without posting again, and someone else posts, it'll show back up in the list, unless you unsubscribe.

Very handy, and I always wonder why forums that don't use the Simple Machine Forum software don't have the same feature.
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:11 am

I use the email notifications myself, I am on at least one forum with the unread notifications, for me they are just annoying as I already got the email letting me know. The one thing I do like is a like button, instead of making a whole post to say I like it or what you said, you can just like a post (like facebook), those notifications can only be seen when you visit the website.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby RKH » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:24 pm

Another alternative you can do yourself:
Go to User Control Panel.
Click on the tab "Board Preferences"
On left side of screen, click "Edit Posting Defaults"
Check the "yes" circle on "Notify me upon replies by default" and then "Submit"
~Keith
Support Our Troops

Our traveling blog is at http://www.Happy-Tracks.com
RKH
Teardrop Master

Postby Gage » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:33 pm

I just look for the RED icon. That tells me someone has posted to that thread and I haven't read it as yet. Like that, some post I could care less about and when I finish reading all the post that I'm interested in I pan to the top of the main page and click on ‘Mark forums read’ and wala. The next time I come in I’ll see new post sense the last time I was in here. So simple. :o
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:47 pm

I would prefer not to get the e-mails and have to muck about going back and forth to the forum.

I'm the type where when I get onto the board I want to get caught up all at once, then move on to looking at new posts that I either haven't seen yet; or haven't replied to, but am watching (lurking).

While I'm doing the later, I find myself wondering if anything new has come about on the threads that I am "involved with", so every once in a while I will select "View your posts". Sometimes there is something unread, sometimes not.

What I am saying is, it would be nice if the link could include the number of threads in 'your posts' that have new unread content; something like, "View your posts (6 unread threads)", vs. "View your posts (0 unread threads)". Would save the trouble of clicking back and forth to find nothing new, and I could just keep reading new stuff.

I'm reminded of this line from the TV series "West Wing" where Bruno is explaining to Bartlet how to make a racing sailboat go faster.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:10 pm

My guess is that there is nothing Mike can do about that idea. Unless he is into writing php code that is. I am familiar with the SMF software and all the tweaks that are available get inside the code. I do like Gage, more or less. Starting from the View New Posts page, which is what my bookmark takes me to. I don't even try to read all the topics: I'd never be offline if I tried to read it all.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Gage » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:32 pm

I feel the "View New Posts page" is a waste of time when I can just start at the top of the main page and work my way down reading only the RED icon post that I wish to read and then move on to the next post or section.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:47 pm

I obviously don't try to read it all. I have several forums that I follow that I do try to read each thread; you never know when something interesting will turn up (despite the subject line); and whether I find the topic interesting or not, maybe I can help someone out if I know the answer to their question or problem.

When I get caught up doing that I usually go to 'General' and look around a bit (usually during the commercials while watching evening television). Thing is, I give priority to the threads that I have gotten involved in because they have either interested me, or I am trying to offer help. If someone wants to engage in a "conversation" it would be nice to stay on top of that in a timely fashion sometimes.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I didn't think it would hurt to ask. (no big deal emoticon)
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:37 pm

KCStudly wrote:Thing is, I give priority to the threads that I have gotten involved in because they have either interested me, or I am trying to offer help. If someone wants to engage in a "conversation" it would be nice to stay on top of that in a timely fashion sometimes.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I didn't think it would hurt to ask. (no big deal emoticon)

Then just look for the little red star that's located in the upper right of the icon that you have posted in. I have a answer for everything. Especially when I'm feeling good. :lol:
Image Image Image
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:17 pm

Thanks Gage, I never knew that was what the star means!

Learn something new every day. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby jseyfert3 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:35 pm

So the red icon means there are unread posts. Good to know.

One more related question: Is there a way to jump directly to the first unread post in that thread? Sometimes you post in an active topic, come back sometime later and the last post you've read is buried four pages from the last post and you can't remember what page you were on last time. That's what was great about the "Show new replies to your posts" link the other forum I'm active in has. Clicking a topic on that page takes you directly to the first unread post in that thread.

<EDIT> Oops, just found it. The little arrow on the left side of the title. :oops:
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:06 pm

well I'm not going to let a screen shot go to waste...

click on the circled thing. A right click and 'open in a new window/tab' is what I use to open any I want to read.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:12 pm

So, as I understand it, the little-white-piece-of-paper-with-the-dog-eared-corner means you have read it. If that icon is orange and you click it it will take you to the first unread post.

What I just learned from Gage is that the red star means that someone has replied to a thread that you have also posted to. Similar, but not the same.

Now, if you want to post a link to a particular post, if you touch the little white piece of paper in that post, it will take you to that specific URL that you can copy into your post as a link. This is often more useful when trying to refer someone to specific info in a large thread, rather than just linking to the thread's main URL (i.e. first page).

Aw heck Mtn Don beat me to it.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:22 pm

I have looked for but have not found a legend that explains the different appearances the icons can have. That would be nice to have or to be shown the location thereof.

MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Threads about the forum!