Forum has been upgraded!!!

Threads about the forum, forum software, forum features, etc

Forum has been upgraded!!!

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:19 am

Computers keep getting faster. So it's time for a faster computer for the forum.

I'll be taking the forum down for an upgrade, possible as soon as today or tomorrow. So if you see a notice that says we are down, try back later! :thumbsup:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Forum is going down for an upgrade...

Postby Alan_H » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:54 am

Mike,

Thanks for keeping us "up to speed" in more ways that one... :thumbsup: :applause:
Alan_H
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:35 am

mikeschn wrote:Computers keep getting faster. So it's time for a faster computer for the forum.

I'll be taking the forum down for an upgrade, possible as soon as today or tomorrow. So if you see a notice that says we are down, try back later! :thumbsup:

Mike...

Mike:

Do you need to put the tin can out for donations? :thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:47 am

Yes, it's going to cost a bit more. I'll update the donation thread when the upgrade is finished.

The forum should be quite a bit faster. We are going from a CPUMark of 958 to a CPUMark of 7965. (I get the CPUMark numbers from passmark.com

The cpu is going from an AMD 3800+ to an E2 2620

And the hard drive is going from 144 GB to 1 TB. That should be enough room for photos for a while.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby lrrowe » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:16 am

Mike, I appreciate your efforts. And when the tin can is out, I will drop some coin in it.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:18 pm

Let's do some kind of donation/giveaway/update sale. I'll give the site 5 usb thumbdrives that contain a fully operational virtual computer system that will work on any intel/amd based operating system. The virtual system was designed to make it essentially virus proof, key logger proof, malware proof, as the system always returns to it's pristine state after use. I normally sell them for $29, so the site could sell them for like $25 each. Let me know if you want to do something like this and I'll send 5 keys to you. They each have complete video and text tutorials on installation and operation. I'm sure others also have stuff they would donate to do an "update sale" with.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:25 pm

Okay, so after working with the ISP today, given the amount of work involved, it looks like we are going to do the upgrade on Monday.

Have a good weekend, and a good Father's Day!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mjewell5 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:12 am

While you're at it, can you upgrade the way photos are uploaded? The current process is very clunky, and not much fun to use. I am on other forums for all my various hobbies, and I hate to say it, but TNTTT is by far the most difficult to do simple things. I love this forum for all of the wonderful information I have gotten over the last year or so, but I have to believe there is a better way to show my work!

Mike
mjewell5
Teardrop Builder

Postby lrrowe » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:10 am

Mike, for what it is worth, I have no problem with uploading photos. I find it a very straight forward process. But then again, I am of the old school and do not try them from my phone.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:47 am

mjewell5

I'll grant that the method might be different, but I don't find it difficult. And I can upload many photos at a time... I'm doing this on the PC... are you on the PC?

Can you explain what part you find difficult?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby daveesl77 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:20 pm

gotta go along with Bob, I've uploaded several hundred photos with no problem. Granted, I use my PC and not my phone.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Postby mjewell5 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:37 am

I use my phone to take pictures, as it does a better job than my "old" digital camera. I have to Bluetooth my pics from my phone to my PC, then use some sort of re-size app to make them small enough to put on the site (phone photos are usually around 4 Mb). Once I have them re-sized I can upload them.

Compare to a Jeep forum I am on: Upload pics directly from phone to forum using the phone app for the forum. 1 step and done.

For me, the process I have to use on TNTTT seems bulky and slow. I will try it and see if I can get used to it, but whole re-sizing thing seems tedious and unnecessary.
mjewell5
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:53 am

Ok, we are back up on the new server. You should notice a significant speed increase!!! :D

If you stumble upon anything that is not working, let me know in this thread... :frightened:

Mike ....
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Forum has been upgraded!!!

Postby hankaye » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:29 am

mikeschn, Howdy;

Thanks for the upgrade. :applause: , :thumbsup: , :thumbsup:

Should you get your hands on some of those thumb-drives, I'd like
to put my "dibbs" on one of'em :roll:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Forum has been upgraded!!!

Postby 3GKnight » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:28 am

Much better!! Thanks!
3GKnight
Donating Member

Next

Return to Threads about the forum!