Website Suggestions

Threads about the forum, forum software, forum features, etc

Website Suggestions

Postby cdnred » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:04 pm

I've been on a number of other user group sites. Most of these sites allowed users to add a Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down to people's remarks that they had posted. Gives the poster some thoughts of other people's opinions on the subject. Would be nice to have a similar feature here, similar to adding a smilely tag..
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Website Suggestions

Postby PaulC » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:18 pm

You can do that by using the “post reply”. It’s not FB and never will be.

Cheers
PaulC :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby cdnred » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:21 pm

:thumbsup:
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Postby cdnred » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:24 pm

What I was hoping for was adding a Thumbs Up in the poster's remarks section. Not a big deal just a suggestion..
cdnred
Teardrop Advisor

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:36 pm

I don't think this platform supports that. I know the Zenforo does, and I thought a long time ago - a year or 3 - there was a post here they were migrating. This platform does seem a little long in the tooth - in computer terms - but it is remarkably stable, which is nice. And the amount and high quality of information is amazing.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:44 pm

It’s not FB and never will be.

;)

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Squigie » Sun Nov 19, 2023 1:19 am

PaulC wrote:You can do that by using the “post reply”. It’s not FB and never will be.

Cheers

I've seen the request before, as well as the reflexive and defensive replies.

They aren't asking for social media. They are asking for a way of showing support or appreciation, even when they have no words to add to the conversation; or there is a technical discussion going on and they feel that their, "Nice work, thanks for sharing!" would be an interruption.

I was on a classic car forum that was deeply rooted in their 2004-era BBS forum, when the forum was bought out, upgraded, modernized, and introduced a 'thumbs-up' ability for threads and individual posts (but no thumbs-down) in 2017.
The geriatrics raged.
The cave dwellers raged.
Those that fear change raged.
The 'how do I make paragraphs?' crowd raged.
The anti-social-media crowd raged (even though internet forums are social media....).
It went on for MONTHS.

Finally, the new owners disabled the 'thumbs-up' ability for posts (but not threads).

The geriatrics raged.
The cave dwellers raged.
The anti-social-media crowd raged.
It went on for MONTHS.

Not only was the 'thumbs-up' reinstated, but also 'thumbs-down'.
I don't want to get into 'thumbs-down' politics. Or really argue about 'thumbs-up' at all. But every time I see it implemented where the user-base thinks they will hate it, and then revolts when it comes to pass, they end up loving it in the long run.

Lather, rinse, and repeat; for gun forums, hunting forums, fishing forums, camping forums, etc. The pushback is massive. But once it happens, people like it (while still openly complaining until it is taken away).
There are still haters, but they learn the secret: They don't have to use it.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby PaulC » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:43 am

Squigie wrote:
PaulC wrote:You can do that by using the “post reply”. It’s not FB and never will be.

Cheers

I've seen the request before, as well as the reflexive and defensive replies.

They aren't asking for social media. They are asking for a way of showing support or appreciation, even when they have no words to add to the conversation; or there is a technical discussion going on and they feel that their, "Nice work, thanks for sharing!" would be an interruption.

I was on a classic car forum that was deeply rooted in their 2004-era BBS forum, when the forum was bought out, upgraded, modernized, and introduced a 'thumbs-up' ability for threads and individual posts (but no thumbs-down) in 2017.
The geriatrics raged.
The cave dwellers raged.
The anti-social-media crowd raged (even though internet forums are social media....).
It went on for MONTHS.

Finally, the new owners disabled the 'thumbs-up' ability for posts (but not threads).

The geriatrics raged.
The cave dwellers raged.
The anti-social-media crowd raged.
It went on for MONTHS.

Not only was the 'thumbs-up' reinstated, but also 'thumbs-down'.
I don't want to get into 'thumbs-down' politics. Or really argue about 'thumbs-up' at all. But every time I see it implemented where the user-base thinks they will hate it, and then revolts when it comes to pass, they end up loving it in the long run.

Lather, rinse, and repeat; for gun forums, hunting forums, fishing forums, camping forums, etc. The pushback is massive. But once it happens, people like it (while still openly complaining until it is taken away).
There are still haters, but they learn the secret: They don't have to use it.

Nice post :thumbsup:
Not sure about the description used for the naysayers :thumbdown:
Really can’t see why the younger generations need to take this type of stance.
Still, we are all entitled to our opinions without being denigrated.
Cheers
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby TimC » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:25 pm

PaulC wrote:... It’s not FB and never will be...

Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:14 pm

TimC wrote:
PaulC wrote:... It’s not FB and never will be...

Hey, whatta ya know, we do have a "thumbs up"! ;)

Tom :thumbsup:
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:29 pm

Squigie wrote:I don't want to get into 'thumbs-down' politics.

I agree with that! Glad the thumbs down smiley icon is seldom to never applied here to folk's posts. (I'd rather niavely assume everyone thinks mine are wonderful!) Of course, I imagine we all agree: There is no such thing as a dumb question when it comes to building teardrops, and generally the advice and responses are sound, or at least the writer's best intentions.

Of course, we have the spam icon to show our displeasure with that sort of post! My concern with those are the occasional spammer (who may use AI to attempt to construct a good sounding answer) that might be wrong or even dangerous. (And we've had a few of those lately.)

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby TimC » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:12 pm

I certainly don't fault the OP on their suggestion. My reaction was to the FB reference. This forum has been changing for many years. Changes are constant and will continue.

Would I fight "Like" or "Dislike" buttons that make quick feedback possible. No. I occasionally use just a smile or thumbs up. I'm just not impressed with "Like" statistics. It seems lazy in my opinion. I wish more members would take a moment to write a quick, meaningful response. Or a long winded one. Maybe there are those that create a build journal and don't like the interruptions to the flow of the thread. I kind of like hearing from people that make suggestions or extend encouragement.

But what do I know? I'm just another geriatric geezer.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Squigie » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:43 pm

PaulC wrote:Nice post :thumbsup:
Not sure about the description used for the naysayers :thumbdown:
Really can’t see why the younger generations need to take this type of stance.
Still, we are all entitled to our opinions without being denigrated.
Cheers

No denigration was intended, nor was I referencing this forum. It was in regards to the member base on the classic car forum.
If you are not in that world, it may not be apparent; but younger generations don't really care for classic cars. And the small numbers that do care usually cannot afford to get into anything but a pile of crap that the old timers have no respect for.
It is very much an old man's game now.
But the small crowd that is the younger generations still fits all of those categories except "geriatrics".

There's a guy that lives across town here, who asks me for help on his old Chevy Blazer, occasionally. Younger than me - coming up on his 40th birthday - and seemingly from a different world, growing up on video games and all the weird anime cartoons. But he refuses to use a cell phone, except as required while on the clock at work; will not use the internet unless he absolutely cannot find an answer anywhere else (spending months searching locally); will not allow satellite internet or TV in his house (wire-based, only); loves video games but despises computers, what they have become, and that everything is online-only or cloud-based now; and has a very hard time adjusting to change, especially involving electronics.
I had to get him on a Chevy Blazer online forum, as it is one of the last pockets of dying knowledge for tricks to keep those trucks on the road (or get them back on it). He enjoys having the knowledge accessible, but hates the forums and even the tiniest change.
He is, absolutely, an anti-social-media, change-fearing, 'how do I make paragraphs', cave dweller.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby bdosborn » Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:49 pm

The Ford Transit Forum has likes and I us them a lot. Its an quick way of showing someone you appreciate the time they took to make a post. Like it or not (pun intended) this forum seems to be in steady decline and if adding a like button perks things up then I'm all for it.
Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:31 pm

:applause:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Threads about the forum!