Low Cost design contest…

Threads about the forum, forum software, forum features, etc

Low Cost design contest…

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:12 pm

The object of this contest is to come up with a spreadsheet of parts and prices required to build the lowest cost teardrop possible. It doesn’t matter how long it takes to build it. The weight is not important either. All that matters is cost.

So that we are all working on more or less the same page, here are some design parameters…

It’s can be a rounded teardrop like the Benroy, or a chamfered trailer like the Weekender.
It’s about 4’ by 8’ by 4’ high
It has to be built on a steel trailer of some kind
It has to have lighting, a stove, a cooler and a water supply
It should have a counter of some kind in the galley
It should have a cabinet of some kind in the cabin
It has to have windows, door handles and latches & hatch latches
It has to have a hatch
It has to be skinned and undercoated
It should be considered safe to be on the highway.

Don’t forget to include glue, screws, bolts and other hardware. Allow enough to do the job.

Prices need to be on the web, so that they can be confirmed. http://www.lowes.com is a good place to get a lot of prices, but any source on the web is valid as long as the company will ship to us folks in the U.S. After all, someone might actually want to build it!!!

The contest starts now, we’ll let it run for a couple weeks, so lets say it ends on Sept 10th at 6:00 PM EST.

Polling will run for an additional week and end on 17th at 6:00 PM EST.

Your entries need to be submitted to this thread to qualify. Include a brief description and a list. Separate your entries in the list with a series of dots, like this ...................
If you prefer you can email me your spreadsheet and I will put them on the web for you. Those of you that have websites, just “save as” your excel spreadsheet to html format and upload to your website. Place a link in your message

Here’s an example of what we need to see on this list…
Qty….Description……….......…………. Each….. Total…..Where used...source
For example
1……..4x8x3/4” BC Fir Plywood….. 29.95…..29.95….Floor.............lowes

The final prize is will be determined this week, but will include 2 Closet lights, which run off AA batteries, or can be converted into 12V. The lights look like this…

Did I forget anything important?

Mike...
Last edited by mikeschn on Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby beverlyt » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:16 pm

Question:
Does it have to be "skinned"? Define skinned please? Outside or inside?
Is paint considered a "skin" for the outside?

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:28 pm

Skin is defined as an outside layer of protection for the teardrop. Remember my skinning webpage? Skin can be aluminum, pvc, tpo, paint, epoxy, fiberglass, tile, varnish, urethane, ceramic coating, or anything else you can think of.

No, the inside does not need to be skinned. The inside does not need a layer of plywood either. For example, if you build a frame, and put 1/4" luan on the outside, and nothing on the inside, that's acceptable.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby DANL » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:35 pm

Per the message from Beverlyt do we need to include a mattress or some kind of sleeping arrangement. I'm assuming builders could use their own bedding and pillows but may not have a mattress of proper size.
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:58 pm

I'm going to come up with a check list, maybe tomorrow... but no, you do not need to include a mattress with the low cost teardrop.

The object here is to get it built for as little as possible. Once you turn the project over to the wife, she will add curtains, pillows, down comforters, stuffed animals, throw rugs, etc... None of those really represent the true cost of "building" a teardrop.

I'm interested in the building phase. Trailer, body, electrical, you know, all that manly kind of stuff.

So get it built for as little as possible and then turn it over to the wife! 8)

The benefit of that method is you can say, "Honey, the teardrop only cost us $600 (or whatever), and she's happy that you didn't blow the budget!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:29 pm

Okay here's the checklist, subject to revisions or additions, so please review it from time to time...

Check List… have you thought about

Trailer
Wheels & Tires
Fenders
Safety Chains
Lights
Wiring
Plug
Spare tire
Coupler
Stabilizers
Jack

Subfloor
Floor
Walls
Roof
Bulkhead
Insulation
Trim

Hatch
Hatch Hinge
Hatch Latch
Hatch Prop Rod
Hatch seals

Windows
Doors
Door Hinges
Door Latches
Door seals

Galley counter
Stove
Water
Cooler/ice box
Storage
Propane

Cabin Cabinets
Cabinet doors
cabinet hinges
drawers
drawer glides
cup holders
accessory or eyeglass shelf

Interior Lighting
Galley Lighting
Porch Lighting
Wiring
Fusebox
Battery
connectory
switches
fan
vent

Primer or sealer
Filler if needed
Paint or skinning

Glue
Screws
Biscuits
nails
caulking
brushes
rollers

P.S. Just because I asked if you've thought about it doesn't make it a requirement. Use your best judgement as you price out the lowest cost teardrop.... :wink:

Mike...

P.S. The polling question will probably read something like this: "Which materials list does the best job combining the essential features of a teardrop with the lowest cost."
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:29 am

I just updated the checklist... and added what the polling question will probably be...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Laredo » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:41 am

wait, i have a question.
do you want to include shipping charges in the tally?
'cuz it makes a little difference in the prices of some stuff.
(SportsmansGuide.com is one of my favorite places in the world.
CheaperThanDirt.com is good too but their shipping charges are often more than the cost of their goods!)
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:48 am

Well the problem with shipping charges, and taxes for that matter is ship from where to where? Depending on how far it's shipped, the charge is going to change. And depending on what state you pay tax in, the tax rate is going to change.

So lets keep it simple. No tax. No shipping charges.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shrug53 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:26 pm

So this is the actual requirement list?
-----
It’s can be a rounded teardrop like the Benroy, or a chamfered trailer like the Weekender.
It’s about 4’ by 8’ by 4’ high
It has to be built on a steel trailer of some kind
It has to have lighting, a stove, a cooler and a water supply
It should have a counter of some kind in the galley
It should have a cabinet of some kind in the cabin
It has to have windows, door handles and latches & hatch latches
It has to have a hatch
It has to be skinned and undercoated
It should be considered safe to be on the highway.
-----
No insulation required?
Any special kind of latches or could they be as simple as hasps?
Thanks. Already made a good start on mine. Though should I happen to win, I will still give a CD to the runner-up!
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:45 pm

You can use any kind of latch or hatch that makes sense for an RV. The problem with using hasp, or even something like a hook in an eye bolt, is that no one is actually going to build with a hook like that.

So in the poll, even if you have the lowest priced teardrop, you'll probably lose votes because the hook, or the hasp would be considered below the acceptable level required for a nice teardrop.

Before I do a hasp, I might consider screen door hardware!!!

Insulation is not required, but if you can insulate the body for a few bucks, then it becomes a plus and is likely to win you votes! So are you saving cardboard for your insulation? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes that's the requirements list, and there is a small amount of interpretation required... the door latch question was a good one. Also subject to interpretation is what constitutes a cabinet? Does it have to have doors? I'll let you decide.

I also put a lot of things on the check list for you to think about, that are not requirements. For example, the spare tire.

Any other questions?
Last edited by mikeschn on Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:56 pm

Okay... I roughed out something... and I do declare, it's really rough... but just for you guys... this is the number to beat... :wink: :rofl:

And if I made any errors, blame it on the white wine in my avatar!!!

I can take another look at it Monday when I get back into town... and you can tell me what I missed... and I know I missed a few items...

That was my disclaimer... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's the list...

http://www.mikenchell.com/images/lowcost.htm

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shrug53 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:38 pm

OK here is my entry: http://www.forgottenclassics.com/thrifty/

It is a super low cost and easy to build design. Even somebody with practically no building experience should be able to get this whole thing together in a couple of weekends. It has a nice big galley, plenty of internal storage and should be pretty darn light too.
To keep it simple and low cost for the first time builder there are currently no electrical hookups, though a simple 12V hookup, and a single battery could easily be added.
This is perfect for the weekend camper/fisherman type. It has a big cooler, the walls and roof are insulated and requires no electrical knowledge!

The price tag is just a hair over $800.00

Check out the link: http://www.forgottenclassics.com/thrifty/
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:05 pm

Shrug,

You did an excellent job documenting your parts, and your part numbers and your sources... I need to go back next week and add that information to my parts lists... although, right now, you're the number to beat! :shock:

Mike...

P.S. I did notice that you're using 1/2" BC plywood for the body. I've also noticed that the body is the least of our worries... it's everything else that costs so much money... i.e. the details... :shock:
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shrug53 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:11 pm

It is all in the nickels and dimes. Like the stove from Walmart is almost the exact same thing as the coleman but 25 bucks cheaper. The wood saves you another 50. The folding trailer is the same as the regular harbor freight except for hinges. With a solid floor, it does not matter so much. My thing is that I am really good at shopping around.
For my own trailer I will be looking at even less expensive stuff.
Ebay, Army surplus store, flea markets, etc.
Shrug53
500 Club

Next

Return to Threads about the forum!