New name for the curved weekender

Threads about the forum, forum software, forum features, etc

New name for the curved weekender

Postby mikeschn » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:19 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:
mikeschn wrote:I guess I need to come up with a new name eh? How about "Summer Vacation"

Why don't you have a contest for the new name?

Here's a few that come to mind...

1. Table For Two
2. Monthlonger
3. Lil' Diner

Okay lets have a contest... You have about 4 days to come up with a new name for the curved weekender. Post your entry in this thread. The contest will end Thursday,Sep 16th, 2004 at 6PM.

Then we'll have a weeklong poll to see who the winner is.

Why do we need a new name anyhow? Well, because I can't build curved weekender in a weekend. Not even 2 weekends... My guess is that it'll take something like 100 to 200 hours, depending on your level of experience. Maybe it's a 3 month long Summer vacation project? Well, give it some thought, throw your ideas this way!!! LOL

The prize? A CD with vintage plans, and my constructions photos of the Baja Benroy and the Lil' Benroy.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:25 am

"Sweet Tear"

I'm off 'to work'.....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Frank » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:51 am

"The Perfect Tear" as I'm sure it will be.
Let's go camping!
Frank
Silver Donating Member

Postby Dennis T » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:09 am

"Short Time Livin'"
:D
Dennis T
Dennis T
The 300 Club

Postby beverlyt » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:09 am

How about some of these that I found:

KIKEN-BAK

EZ-GO-N

WEIGH-TWO-GO

THIS-L-DO

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby catrinka » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:03 am

How about....

T for 2, T-4-2, T4two

Summer Daze

Pot of Gold (teardrops are like raindrops, hence the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow)

M&M's T or M&M's Treat Box
Last edited by catrinka on Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
catrinka
500 Club

Postby Turtle49 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:41 am

How about
"The Round About"
or
"Round'Bout"
:D
Turtle49
Site Moderator

Postby Turtle49 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:14 am

2nd idea

"The Drifter"

:o
Turtle49
Site Moderator

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:22 am

1. Table For Two(What a hostess says)
2. Monthlonger (Added amount of time)
3. Lil' Diner(Back to that table)
4. Futuristic(Play on Modernistic)
5. Superior (The lake)
6. Orion (Another lake)
7. Wolverine (It's a Michigan thing)
8. Mikenchell (Play on Benroy)
9. MIT (Mike's Incredible Tear)
10. Big Dipper(The constellation)
11. Jelly Belly(A good corporate sponsor if needed)
12. Out-of-Towner(Movie?)
13. Buggin' Out(I'd like to do that...)
14. Stargazer(...and that too)
15. Roundtable(...Afterall, didn't a table cause the weekender to be scuttled?)
Hey, There you go... 16. Scuttle Bug

BTW How many names can we submit?

My .02 worth: I don't think you should be bound to go with the winning name. I suggested the contest idea to ease the pain of the do over. No prize.

17. WeekenderII (There is some history here)
18. Weekender (You won't have to explain anything)
19. Get-Away (Nothing to do with Bonnie & Clyde)
20. Second Wind (Don't you just love to do things over?)

I am still a bit "shell-shocked" by the sudden turn of events with the Weekender Project. I have followed every step along the way as it was coming to fruition. Nobody could have done a better job chronicling this project, than what Mike has done. I would hope that this turn of events hasn't "taken the wind out of his sails."

Postby mikeschn » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:13 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:
I am still a bit "shell-shocked" by the sudden turn of events with the Weekender Project. I have followed every step along the way as it was coming to fruition. Nobody could have done a better job chronicling this project, than what Mike has done. I would hope that this turn of events hasn't "taken the wind out of his sails."

Dean,

My intention when starting the squared off weekender was to document how simple it was to build a Weekender, and make a set of plans that anyone could build in a weekend. It would have served as a mad dash teardrop for us.

The sudden change of events came when we realized that we really like the comfort level of the table in the Baja Benroy, and there is no way to get that in the Weekender, as designed.

Was I too hasty is dropping the project? I mean, it is still a nice project, and it's still a good looking trailer. But I don't want to spread myself too thin. And I've been spread a little thin lately. And to work on the Weekender would take away time from the development of the Curved Weekender... and it really sounds like folks want to build the curved Weekender.

I thought someone might like to take the shell, which is fully designed and developed, and just finish it... that's the easy part. And I've only got $350 into it so far. Affordable as far as tiny trailers go... Was I too hasty?

Your thoughts?

Mike...

P.S. I like the name "Lil Diner"...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:25 pm

No, Not at all!
I just feel for you, for all the effort you have put forth documenting everything along the way.
I totally understand the reason you decided to make a change.
I just hope this hasn't taken the "Wind out of your sails" just a bit.
I deal with this sort of stuff in the commercial glazing thing, just recently a design I had quite a bit of time invested into on a historical theatre preservation project, got changed by the developer. To be honest with you... I haven't approached the new design with the same level of intrest and input.

Postby mikeschn » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:38 pm

The square weekender was a documentation project from the start. I wanted to show everyone how easy it really was to build.

Then I got greedy, and thought I'd insulate it and keep it for myself. That's where the mistake was. I turned a documentation project into something that I could use, but not something that I really wanted, because it didn't have a table.

So now I want to build what we really want. But I think I need to hang on to the documentation project, and finish the documentation like I originally planned.

Unfortunately, when I sell it, it'll cost more than $350, but it'll be a beaut!!!

I can feel for you about projects that change. I've had enough projects that changed on me, and the enthusiasm is never the same. However, this is not the case with me this time.

The square weekender is again a documentation project, and the curved Weekender is still my final project.

Now if I could find a local woodworker who would do some building for me, I could have my cake and eat it too...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:51 pm

Mike,
My hat is off to you. You deserve an award for what you are doing to promote teardrop trailers.
Your new design is awesome.

BTW I have been taking a hard look at the obectives of what I want in my design and a table is one of them.
As of right now, I'm really taking a long look at the pop-up objective.
I'm considering nixing that, thus complying to a more "pure" teardrop design.
I'm going to "chew" on my objectives for a while.
When I reach a final decision on the objectives, then I'll procceed with the final design.

Postby mikeschn » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:21 pm

Michelle and I have just discussed the squared Weekender... we have decided that I would finish the documentation project, as originally planned.

And then I have to do a kitchen floor...

And then I can start the curved weekender!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:49 pm

Mike, my tear is 54" tall. I found I can sit on a milk crate and have enough head room to be comfortable. Your dropped floor is still a great idea, and I might chop my floor next spring.

I've got the walls up, ready to do the ceiling... things are moving along... and the walls are square (with a bit of tweaking).. pic in album.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Next

Return to Threads about the forum!