crude drawing of ttt

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

crude drawing of ttt

Postby campfiremaster » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:37 pm

this is a very crude drawing of the motorcycle hauler we have started building
any suggestions is greatly welcomed

mike and sandy
campfiremaster
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:29 pm

It looks like you will only have one position in which the bike can go, so you need to make sure before you build the trailer that its weight distribution is right with the bike in this position.

The weight distribution of the trailer may not be right when the bike is taken out but that is probably less important, particularly if you don't really expect to go far with the trailer empty.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby campfiremaster » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:21 pm

thanks
the bike when in tow will center to the axle & trailer and didnt think it was a concern empty sense it is being built from a old utitily trailerImage this is the trailer before sandblasting should have it back friday
thanks
mike and sandy
campfiremaster
Teardrop Advisor

Postby campfiremaster » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:36 am

well i am still trying i will let anyone play with it and email me tis ok
i think mike is gonna help me hope so
campfiremaster
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:31 pm

campfiremaster wrote:the bike when in tow will center to the axle & trailer

If you mean to put the middle of the bike over the axle, I don't think that's good enough. It's reasonable to assume the centre of gravity of the bike, empty, is about in the middle of the wheelbase. But this point needs to be placed forward of the axle - as a rule of thumb, the midpoint of the bike's wheelbase should be forward of the axle by at least a tenth of the trailer's axle-to-hitch length. This might be as much as 10-12 inches.

This position means that when the bike is added to the trailer, it will add about 10% of its weight onto the hitch (and so 90% onto the axle), which is what you want for good trailer stability.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby campfiremaster » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:37 pm

ANGIB
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE I BEEN HAULING THIS BIKE AROUND HERE ON THIS TRAILER FOR A COUPLE WEEKS NOW AND TO CENTER THE BIKE SEEMS TO BE MY ONLY OPTION THE AXLE IS RATED FOR 3500 LBS HERES A PIC <I HOPE>
SO IF I PUT THE SCOOTER 10 TO 12 INCHES FORWARD I WILL HAVE TO BUY A 10' TRAILOR
THANKS AGAIN
MIKE AND SANDY
campfiremaster
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:40 pm

Andrew, I have had similar concerns over trailer stability, ever since I saw a pic of M&S's bike sitting on the trailer.
What I would like to ask M&S, have y'all towed the bike on the trailer previously and what they are planning to put in the tongue box
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:42 pm

opps, y'all posted answers while I was posting...the bike does not have to be moved forward...the axle could be moved backwards about 10"s...if y'all have been towing the bike around...how did it tow...any sway/wiggle at interstate speeds...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby campfiremaster » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:43 pm

HEY JACK
YES I TOWED THE BIKE FOR ROUND A COUPLE HUNDRED MILES ALTHOUGH I HAVE NOT ACTUALLY CHECKED THE MILAGE AND DID SO AT 65 AND 70 MPH AND SEEMED TO DO FINE
THE TOUNG BOX IS ACUALLY GONNA BE A WHEEL WELL FOR THE FRONT TIRE TO GO INTO FOR TWO REASONS 1 STABILTY AND TWO ROOM TO CLOSE THA DOOR WITHOUT HITTING THE REAR FENDER
BUT I AM A NEWBEE SO I AM TAKING ALL THIS TO NOTE MENTALY
THANK YOU
campfiremaster
Teardrop Advisor

Postby campfiremaster » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:52 pm

BOY MY DAUGHTERS TRAILER LOOKS TERRIABLE IN THAT PIC SHE NEEDS TO WASH HER BACK DOOR
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
campfiremaster
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:59 pm

...We have worked out an adaption to carry a motorcycle in our tear by utilizing the front box as a front tire carrier as well( great minds ya know)...that of course causes the bike to be moved forward a bit as well...if you have been towing the bike around for a while with no problems,then that answers that.....
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby harldydodge1 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:28 pm

Mike look at sunny16 set up. This could be made to carry a motorcycle with a little mod on the galley. What ya think? It's pretty close to what you are wanting to build.
harldydodge1
Teardrop Advisor

new design

Postby jay » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:22 pm

i think the wheels need balancing- the tires are a little out of round!
jay
Donating Member

Postby campfiremaster » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:44 pm

RAY NOW YOU UNDERSTAND THE TITLE CRUDE

:lol:

SANDY
campfiremaster
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Member Designs