Trolley Top

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Trolley Top

Postby Dee Bee » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:10 pm

While it rained this weekend I worked on combining a few ideas that I like, the high bunk of the Vardo, the Trolley top windows, and interior galley, etc.

I call it the "Trolley Top"

Whdaya think? Comments welcome.

http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Trolley%20Teardrop.htm

Thanks

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:57 pm

Dee Bee,

It's amazing, this design is very close to what I have been thinking about for a few months. I was thinking more of rounded roof on the trolly top and the side roof as well, something traditional was what I had in mind. I really like the overhang on the aft end over the door, very nice. Nice drawings too. Are you going to build it? What design tool do you use?
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:47 pm

Dee Bee...I really like it...how much rise is there to your top? and are you planning on opening windows up there? I got the idea about a year ago while staring at some coffee table books with vintage trailers in them, while camping in the Redwoods with a group...then saw dpidy9 started one...so I scratched out some ideas for the Rocketear...I'm looking forward to following your project.. :thumbsup: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Dee Bee » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:51 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:Dee Bee,

It's amazing, this design is very close to what I have been thinking about for a few months. I was thinking more of rounded roof on the trolly top and the side roof as well, something traditional was what I had in mind. I really like the overhang on the aft end over the door, very nice. Nice drawings too. Are you going to build it? What design tool do you use?

Hi Steve,
I drew one with rounded lines to the roof. I quickly saw that it was beyond my skill level in CAD at the present time.

I am probably not going to build it. I have several structural questions about this design that I haven't figured out. I'd like to talke with someone who want to build this, or who is building something similar. I am not shure how to support the roof the way I drew it.

I used Google'a new program to draw it. It was fairly intuitive...

Thanks for your comments.

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby Dee Bee » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:54 pm

doug hodder wrote:Dee Bee...I really like it...how much rise is there to your top? and are you planning on opening windows up there? I got the idea about a year ago while staring at some coffee table books with vintage trailers in them, while camping in the Redwoods with a group...then saw dpidy9 started one...so I scratched out some ideas for the Rocketear...I'm looking forward to following your project.. :thumbsup: Doug

Hi Doug

I have been watching your Rocketear drawings and look forward to more. I was hoping to submit the Trolley Top to the new TTT contest but it is too tall.

I really like the upper windows, If I were to build them I would want to be able to open them, but this might be beyond my ability right now I don;t have the time I once did...

Glad to watch others put there ideas to work on a trolley top and to build one.

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby angib » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:25 pm

Dee Bee wrote:I am not shure how to support the roof the way I drew it.

I don't think there's any problem with this. The clerestory (trolley top) sides act as beams, so all you have to do is make sure the front and back ends of them are tied into the rest of the structure. Making decent joints between the clerestory sides and any roof spars, in both the upper and lower roofs, makes sense.

Clerestory (trolley top) caravans (trailers) were built here for many years and they did not have a notably different structure from any others.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby asianflava » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:35 pm

I like the term "clerestory" better than trolly top. I'll try to incorporate it to my daily vocabulary. It makes me sound smart, even though I ain't. :?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:15 pm

Dee Bee...you might try an RV wrecking/salvage yard...some of the little crank out windows from an old cab over camper might just be what you're looking for...just an idea...Doug

Rocky...I can just hear you now...."hey guys I know a clear story...a guy walks in with a sheep under his arm"......... :lol: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

More Trolley Top Pics

Postby Dee Bee » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:32 pm

I have doodled a little more... What do you think

For the whole set go to link
http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Trolley%20Teardrop.htm

Comments welcome...

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:28 pm

Dee Bee,

Seeing as you just got your Red Trailer, I suspect you are serious about building your Trolley Top. So I had to review the photos. That's quite an interesting design you have there.

Have you ever compared the size of it to the size of the Escape Hatch. The TT is only 2 feet longer than the EH, but it looks like you have a 6' long table in there. Are you comfortable with the amount of space you are allowing for yourself in the galley?

Just as a refresher, here are the EH photos...

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=10864

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Dee Bee » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:24 pm

mikeschn wrote:Dee Bee,

Seeing as you just got your Red Trailer, I suspect you are serious about building your Trolley Top. So I had to review the photos. That's quite an interesting design you have there.

Have you ever compared the size of it to the size of the Escape Hatch. The TT is only 2 feet longer than the EH, but it looks like you have a 6' long table in there. Are you comfortable with the amount of space you are allowing for yourself in the galley?

Just as a refresher, here are the EH photos...

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=10864

Mike...

HiMike

The first thing I am going to do with the Red Trailer is to haul a sofa to West Virginia for my daughter. After that I am not sure. I actually like my Zephyr a lot! But for the sake of a discussion come again... I am not sure what your point of comparison really is to the EH. Are you suggesting that the galley in TTop is to big to small ? What is your suggestion for improvement of the Trolley Top design?

Thanks

Dee Bee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:13 pm

Dee bee,

Just a couple questions...

How long is your bed? How long is your dinette? How long is your galley? I'm just trying to see how it all fits into 12'.

And my only other area of concern... are you comfortable with the narrowness of the trolley top?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Member Designs