1/8th Nelson Suitcase Tear

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

1/8th Nelson Suitcase Tear

Postby Roly Nelson » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:02 pm

I thought I had exhausted all of my "make-it-smaller-and -lighter" ideas on the 1/4 Nelson Stacker, but am now tinkering with an idea for the proposed "1/8th Nelson Suitcase Tear". I've only got it sketched out, but the basic idea is a 48" x 72" tailer frame with a 4x8 floor and 8" sides. Upon these sides, a fold-down teardrop is hinged, dropping down into the 8" recess, complete with hinged roof, hinged hatch and hinged sidewalls, all stacking on top of the mattress. When down, I can use the trailer to haul 4 x 8 sheets of material or 2x4s if necessary. Next step, build a model out of cereal box cardboard to see it it will work. Just a thought I'm kicking around. (Is it true that you can't only build just TWO?)

Roly, with sketch pad, box cutter and cereal box in hand :thinking:
See the little 1/2 Nelson Woody constructions pics at: http://gages-56.com/roly.html
Roly Nelson
L'il Ol' Woody Builder

Re: 1/8th Nelson Suitcase Tear

Postby Gage » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:40 pm

Roly Nelson wrote:<snip>
(Is it true that you can't only build just TWO?)
<snip>

Roly, did you really build two? Haven't seen any pictures even though some keeps saying "Pictures to be posted" You know how the Madjack likes the pictures. :lol:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby angib » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:37 pm

Roly,

I did something very similar a while ago - OK, it was to make a double-decker tear when in camp, but I think the folding method would suit your design, though maybe with the back end going up, not the front.

Inside the folded-down box, the red bit is the front panel, the blue is the right side panel and the green is the left side panel. The mauve lines show two struts from the roof that pull up the front panel as the roof goes up - but I think these are unnecessary when hands will do the job so well!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby dwgriff1 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:08 pm

Andrew,

Isn't that the basic concept of an A-Liner? A solid side popup.

Seems like a design that might be useful many places. I am still stunned by your "Compact" pop up roof. Haven't figured out where to use it yet, however.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby angib » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:23 pm

dwgriff1 wrote:Isn't that the basic concept of an A-Liner?

Pretty much. One difference is that in order to get the sides as high as possible, it's necessary for the left side to fold down over the right side, or vice versa - on an A-liner I think each side is less than half the trailer width, so they can fold down together.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby dwgriff1 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:31 pm

Andrew,

You make it look so easy!

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Return to Member Designs