Introducing my TD Design -- The Zephyr

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Introducing my TD Design -- The Zephyr

Postby Dee Bee » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:34 pm

I have added a point on the front of a basic TD. I think it gives the tear the suggestion of cutting through the wind. A Zephyr is a light gentle breeze. So that's what I'll call it. I know it isn't a Grasshopper, a Benroy, Modernistic, or a classic Tear. But it's my design and it needs a name. Your seeing it here first.
Image[url]

Take a look and let me know what name you come up with for the shape...
http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Teardrop.htm

Thanks

DEE
[/url]
Last edited by Dee Bee on Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby DestinDave » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:28 am

Dee... you could paint it yellow and black and call it "Dee Bumble Bee" ...
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby cracker39 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:52 pm

Dee, that is a fantastic job of visual record keeping of your project. Great pics and descriptions. Please let me know how the snow roof works out. I have considered using a paint that I used on my concrete block house. It is Elastomeric or Elastometric paint. It is too thick to use a sprayer, so I had to roll the whole house. This paint is "rubbery" when dry and is said that the dry paint skin is able to be stretched 6 times it's original width. It isn't a glossy finish, but should be durable. Otherwise, I'll use an epoxy paint. Also, I have considered putting fiberglass resin on the entire exterion surface to seal it (2-3 coats on plywood edges). I once built a 12' fishing boat using only one ply of 1/4" luan plywood. on a clear pine frame. I resined the interior, and put resin and cloth on the exterior, followed by two coats of sprayed on poly enamel. It is amazing how sturdy that 1/4" plywood boat was. I ran it with a 7.5hp outboard.

Doors are a big question for me. I could easily build a door, but am not sure how to make the frame that it attaches to watertight. Did you use some sort of angle iron or aluminum around the edges of the cabin door frame? At a surplus building supply place near my home, when looking at other items, I saw some aluminum clad doors that were shorter than normal, but not sure how tall they were. I mean to go back and measure some. They could have just what I need. I beleive that my door needs to be exactly 5' high (mine is not a normal teardrop...it will have standing room at the galley).

Already, you've given me ideas for some changes in my design. I keep looking and learning from what others are doing.

Dale
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Snow Roof

Postby Dee Bee » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:56 am

Well the Snow Roof has worked out well. It is a two part application. The base coat is black The top coat is white. I used a roller to apply several thin coats to get a smooth finish. The only draw back I can see is that I had to apply several coats to get coverage over areas of resin glass I used to seal corners. Otherwise the bond to wood is great. Also it retains a rubbery feel, as such it attracts dust and fine dirt. It will look for a finish top-top coat for over the white snow roof...

DEE
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Return to Member Designs