Off Road 6' er drawings

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby madjack » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:03 pm

hmmmm, very different and very nice. Good job Wa. now, when are ya gonna build it
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby wa_flyfisher » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:14 pm

I will probably never build it, just killing time at work is all.
wa_flyfisher
Teardrop Master

Postby alaska teardrop » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:50 pm

Wa, Looks like a real rock crawler! :thumbsup: Fred :snow
Last edited by alaska teardrop on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby wa_flyfisher » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:55 am

That is where I got the suspension idea from.

I used to be into 4 wheeling with a 69 bronco, and took the rear suspension of that and stuck it under the tear. Height of trailer would actually vary with spring choices and weight of the tear itself.
wa_flyfisher
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:17 am

flyfisher,

There are quite a few things about your plan that I don't understand:

- Because the track bar is angled so far from the horizontal, the axle will move sideways 1" for every 2-1/2" it moves up and down. If the tires don't hit the body as a result (they would, as drawn), this may work OK off road but I would expect it to cause the trailer to do some bad swaying on bumps on the road. An alternative would be to run a diagonal bar from the front mount of one control arm to the axle end of the other arm. That would give you pure vertical movement on that side of the axle, but you would still need to increase the body-to-tire clearance a lot.

- There's nothing holding the axle from twisting around with the wheels, until it pops the spring seats off the springs. You could attach the axle end of one control arm to the axle in two places to prevent this twist, though you'd have to use rubbers or ball joints in the control arm so as not to overload it.

- I can't see any reason why twisting the axle tube 45deg is a good idea - for example, it doesn't improve its strength. As far as I can see, it would just make it harder to fabricate.

- I can't see why the axle wants to be so far back. While it gives a superb departure angle as shown, it makes the breakover angle really poor.

But I think the main question is why use a coil-sprung axle at all? For a four-wheel vehicle, coil sprung axles are used to give good axle articulation so that all four wheels can be on the ground, getting traction, all the time. But the trailer has only three 'wheels' (two wheels and a hitch), so it can always keep both wheels on the ground all the time, whatever suspension is used.

So for an off-road trailer, I can't see why traditional leaf springs won't work just as well as a coil spring system and they're certainly much easier to build.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby wa_flyfisher » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:04 pm

The axle is back as far as possible for door placement only. I figured put it at the partition of the galley and sleeping area so you can place the door in front of the tire.

The axle is turned 45 for a square axle only, then it is less likely to get high centered on anything.

You are correct I should place another branch on the control are so it is like a "Y" and connect to the axle on the top and bottom rather then then center to eliminate axle wrap.

A limiting strap would be attached just couldn't figure out how to draw it.

I was pondering where to put shocks, that is why I didn't show any. I can't decide between mounting them by the coils or inboard like:

http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/sh ... oard+shock

The ride height was just an estimate.

Yes a leaf spring would work great and a little more articulation if you used a pair of these:

http://www.classicbroncos.com/forums/sh ... ing+rocker
wa_flyfisher
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:27 pm

wa_flyfisher wrote:Yes a leaf spring would work great and a little more articulation if you used a pair of these:

Yeah, but the point I was trying to get across was why do you need axle articulation? The trailer has only one axle, so it will just roll to follow whatever angle the axle is at. All those long travel springs and axle articulation are only needed on the tow vehicle because it has two axles and you're trying to keep all four of its wheels on the ground at once.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby wa_flyfisher » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:01 am

Ah ok, I understand what you are saying now.

But the thread is about off-road tears and that is what this would be.

You know something to tow behind you when you do the Rubiocn trail.
Not something you pull down the Highway to your favorite state park.
wa_flyfisher
Teardrop Master

Postby Feral XJ-SC » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:24 pm

How about this for the chasis/frame? Think is rugged enough? :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M200A1-2 ... dZViewItem
Robert
Feral XJ-SC
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Member Designs