What would you do?

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

What would you do?

Postby BrwBier » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:07 am

I want to build a teardrop and I hope to learn from others what is good and what is not so good. I have two questions for anyone who cares to answer. The first, what is the best thing about your tear, The second is, what would you do differant if you had it to do all over again. Thanks in advance and if you ever come to Wisconsin, I owe you a homebrew for helping me out.
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: What would you do?

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:16 am

BrwBier wrote:I want to build a teardrop and I hope to learn from others what is good and what is not so good. I have two questions for anyone who cares to answer. The first, what is the best thing about your tear, The second is, what would you do differant if you had it to do all over again. Thanks in advance and if you ever come to Wisconsin, I owe you a homebrew for helping me out.

Look here for comments already made on this subject.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=5493
The best thing is building it myself.

Oh... welcome to the board.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:34 am

The best thing about my project...
It's my own design. Spent about nine months getting the "final-final" design to it's present state.
Started out with an 18' tandem axle mega monstrosity designed to haul a wood strip canoe.
(Just about got laughed off the forum for that one)
It was a proccess of refinement for me...
The profile was designed around everything I wanted to fit inside the cabin and mainly the galley.

What I would have done different...
Kept my mouth shut until the project was complete. :lol:
Seriously; I wouldn't have spent so much time on the pop-up idea detour... but that's what it took for me to get to the point to where I was willing to build something I wasn't going to be able to stand up in.
(It did take a while for the "bug" to fully bite)

Postby Arne » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:45 am

1. As low as possible (maybe lower than 48" in height)

2. front, as rounded as possible, no flat spots (top slopes from front to back)

3. as light as possible

4. everything heavy goes a back, like a/c, battery, etc.

5. trying to get door further back, but have concern about wheel interference

www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby madjack » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:50 pm

...BB, welcome to our little group...All excellent advice, as I tell folks asking the same question(yes, there have been others) 1) take the time to familiarize yourself with the board, 2) look at the pics in the "Hall of Fame" and at members personal albums, both accessible at the top of page 3) checkout members websites and build journals...available thru buttons at bottom of posts 4) think loooooooong and hard about you have to have Vs, what you think you want 5) semi-settle on a design and certain options that are somewhat close to your skill level...and don't be afraid to reach above that level.
Now, that you have done all of that, your questions will be much easier for us to answer and for you to understand our answers
And most importantly...6) take lotssa lottsa pics, because we luv da pics and you will want to show 'em off to your friends when they ask..."you really built that yourself"
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: What would you do?

Postby mikeschn » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:58 pm

BrwBier wrote:I want to build a teardrop and I hope to learn from others what is good and what is not so good. I have two questions for anyone who cares to answer. The first, what is the best thing about your tear, The second is, what would you do differant if you had it to do all over again. Thanks in advance and if you ever come to Wisconsin, I owe you a homebrew for helping me out.

Hey BB,

Welcome to the forum... you're just across the lake from us... come on over, and I'll show you...

The most important thing is to visualize how you are going to use your tear... You've got to remember, a teardrop is not an RV. It's just one step up from camping on the cold hard ground.

Having said that, and having built two teardrops already, (not counting the third which I had Steve build...) I think the best thing about some of the designs is the amount of storage space. The more, the merrier.

Also, take time to plan your galley, and figure out a way to park your teardrop galley under a tent of some kind. Look over how others have done it in the hall of fame...

And last, don't be afraid to ask questions...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Flonker » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:45 pm

I'm in the process of planning mine. I kinda like the Midget/Widget/Sqidget designs, always have.

I'm thinking build it out of foam and fiberglass for insulation and light weight.
Flonker
Teardrop Builder

Postby Arne » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:35 am

The best thing about my tear is I get to sleep in my own bed every night.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Chip » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:23 am

Brewbier,,,designing, building, etc were al a blast but for the real fun of teardropping here is just one example of what is the best part,,,,

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jdpeagle/ ... /my_photos

It just dont get any better than this,,,, good friends and fellowship and food,,, mainley pics 41,42,43

what I wish I could do different is have found out about teardrops 10 years ago

chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby larryl » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:30 am

Best thing... 1. having my daughter and father-in-law help build the cubby. 2. having it 90% complete. 3. Making it 5'wide instead of 4' wide.

If I were to build a second, would make it the Widget 5.

Larry
larryl
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:52 pm

Why the widget 5? So that you have a place to hide from the elements? Or so that you can go hunting in the fall? :o

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Flonker » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:42 am

mikeschn wrote:Why the widget 5? So that you have a place to hide from the elements? Or so that you can go hunting in the fall? :o

Mike...

I can see his point. If you're out in the fall or way the hell up in the hills in late summer, it gets cold, and having to go out to make that first cuppa can be a nasty thing indeed.
Flonker
Teardrop Builder

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:18 am

The best thing about my tear?? It was built by myself,and if anymistakes are there I'm the one to blame and no one else. When I build my next one I will make it 5' wide instead of 4'..

p.s. mine is the traditional tear shape but it is a style of a woody..

Good luck with yours and as Mad Jack says show dem pics...
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Return to Member Designs