Windsong Construction

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby madjack » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:31 pm

WarPony wrote:
jplock wrote:I had a batch of scrambled eggs on the way to the LCG campout last fall.

They probably got scrambled driving through Shreveport on I-20!! Holy crap, more than once did I think my TTT was going to flip over on it's side!!!

Jeff

...it's not but a couple of mile longer so take the I220 by-pass around Shreveport and avoid those tight, twisty, bouncies going through Shreveport/Bossier......
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby WarPony » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:57 pm

madjack wrote:...it's not but a couple of mile longer so take the I220 by-pass around Shreveport and avoid those tight, twisty, bouncies going through Shreveport/Bossier......

Cool, I'm goin' that way!!

Phil, did you mount the shocks straight up and down or did you put them at an angle?
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby jplock » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:42 pm

Warpony,
The shocks were at a slight angle. Oh and by the way the discovery of scrambled eggs was on the Indian Nations Turnpike near Antlers Oklahoma. I saw the trailer bounce on a pot hole, and I thought Uh Oh!!
The eggs! They never made it to shreveport with the shells uncracked. I quickly moved the ice chest to the car.
HA! HA!
jplock
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby WarPony » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:54 pm

Well Phil, today I ordered the same shock package as you did. Should be in my grubby hands by Thursday. I'm not sure that I will be able to use them on my Jim Dandy project, though. That upper bolt my be my downfall because the walls fit right up against the frame so there's no room for a bolt head. I'll get it figured out somehow.
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby jplock » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:03 pm

warpony,
My sidewall is right up to the frame also. The frame is 1.5"x3" Rectangular Steel tubing. I used a hole saw to cut a 1"hole so that the bolt had metal on both sides. It does not show being behind the tire. I did prime the hole real good to slow down rot. Let me know how it turns out.
jplock
:) :) :)
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby WarPony » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:09 pm

I don't understand how you ran the bolt through the frame. From the pictures you have, the walls don't go all the way to the bottom of the frame like mine do. Did you hole saw through the outside frame wall?

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby jplock » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:14 pm

Warpony,
The 3/8th inch Plywood covers the top half of the frame. Thge lower half metal is showing (see below picture). The location of the hole for the upper end of the shock was on the upper half of the frame which made the mountin bolt going through wood. First a 3/16th inch pilot hole was drilled. Then I used the pilot hole to center the hole saw to remove the wood down to metal. Then the plot hole was drilled out to !/2 inch to accept the top Shock bolt.

The sides do not cover the full 3 inch width of the frame That was to gain an additional 1 and 1/2 inches headroom.
jplock
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby WarPony » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:49 pm

Phil, I recieved the new shocks Thursday. Same part # as you but I didn't get the RB514 kit. I'll probably make a lower shock mount like Gerdo did for his setup. I'll install tomorrow, take some pics and put them in my Jim Dandy Sportsman thread. I have some obstacles to get around so it'll be interesting. Thanks for the pictures of your installation, it's helped me get on the ball with this.

Jeff
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby jplock » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:53 pm

I finally got mine on and my father in law beefed up the welds on the RB514 mounts. It looks real good on the bounce test in the shop. I thought i might take it on a test tow tommorow down a bumpy country road!
jplock
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:38 am

JP, Did you add the gussets? Got any :pictures:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby jplock » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:34 pm

bledsoe3,
The next time I went back to the shop my father in law said " It just didn't look right". He does not like to half do a job so he had already made some gussets to strengthen the brackets. I was going to road test the trailer to day on some bumpy country road, but I decided to not get the TD out in the mud and rain. I will get some pictures and let you know how it worked out.
Thanks!
jplock
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby WarPony » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:25 pm

JP, I was hoping to you'd get some "road time" in today and let us know how it came out. I got my shocks on today and took some pix but my computer is fouled up and can't post pix of my progress (I'm on my GF's computer so I can keep up with all the hooplah).

I understand about the rain, you guys got nailed today!!
ImageImage

WarPony
Donating Member

Postby jplock » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:11 pm

Pictures of road test tonight 03-12-2007. It got towed down some rough Wagoner County Roads, and for a quicky test seemed to hold up good.
Gusset welded over original weld joint.

A little Wagoner County Mud, also notice the Scissor Tail Fly Catcher it is the Oklahoma State Bird

Not as much mud on this side.

Rear View

Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

Postby toypusher » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:49 am

Congrats on the road test. That's a real nice looking tear!! :applause:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby jplock » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:41 pm

Getting ready for some camping this week in Cherokee County north of Tahlequah Oklahoma. Trying to find the proper places that camping gear is to be stowed, and also what gear is not needed. Here are a few pictures. I will try to post some of our campout this week. Also it has been about a year ago that this project began!
A closeup of one of the Sicissor Tail Fly Catcher (With bug in his mouth)

My simple galley

Power Panel, Radio, Cabin Ventilation Fan

Forward view of cabin

Tongue box cabinet doors open

jplock
Keep smiling!
jplock
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs