Smaller than a Grasshopper... must be a CRICKET

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby BufordT » Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:30 am

mikeschn wrote:
DANL wrote:my wife wants her own bed. She doesn't want to share a mattress 'cause I tend to flail and roll and flop. Even my cats won't sleep with me. Presents a challenge but I am working on a design she might like. Will post it when its ready.

Sounds like bunk beds to me!!! :D

Mike...

Now with that idea you could build the cricket and have bunk beds in it.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby trabant » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:22 pm

Wow thats a nice design. but veeeeeeery small...

Regards,

Michael Staats
trabant
Teardrop Builder

Postby DANL » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:25 pm

Actually Michael, it's really way too large. I'm working on a sketch for an even more compact unit. 40" wide by 48" long. That should be enough room for anyone. As soon as I figure out a few aspects of a multi-dimensional hyper-cube, it'll be trailer building time.
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby trabant » Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:14 am

DANL wrote:I'm working on a sketch for an even more compact unit. 40" wide by 48" long. That should be enough room for anyone.

Dan,

Then you have to work with a folding ore popup car. I think thius Cricket is the smallest in the "none folding/popup section.. I would like to build one to tow behind my Trabant Convertible...

Regards,

Michael Staats
trabant
Teardrop Builder

Postby Big Guy with a Little Guy » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:41 am

With a bed that narrow, you might call it the Sidewinder. Anyone with a butt wider that a snake will have to sleep on their side.
Big Guy with a Little Guy
Not So Tiny Travel Trailer Dude

Postby tdthinker » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:27 pm

You can finde grate electric fireplaces at rv shops and at menards or lowes.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby DANL » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:47 pm

Hi Michael,

Cricket would be a good size to tow behind a Trabant BUT... do you want to sleep one person or two?

Cricket is designed as a solo sleeper. The trick here is that the body overhangs the trailer (harbor Frieght 40X48 inch 660 pound trailer with lengthened tongue and 8 inch wheels) and needs a little bit of space--about three inches--just above the wheel to allow for wheel travel. That's why the bed is on a slightly raised platform. If you want to sleep two, I would suggest moving the galley to the back and placing it above the feet of the sleepers. Makes for a small galley but I'm assuming that, since you are driving a Trabant, you are used to traveling fairly light. Sue and I have found that we just don't need all that much stuff for a weekend trip.

You could still have the bed despite the wheel well intrusion by using a four inch thick foam pad and triming it to two inches thick where it sits over the wheel well. I don't think that part of the mattress needs much thickness as there isn't much in the way of sensitive body parts in that space.

Another thing to consider is how you camp or travel. We always stay at a park with table and benches, fire ring, water, restrooms, etc. The galley is almost superfluous--we could carry all of that stuff in the truck. The part of the galley we like best is the three plastic two-drawer units that keep everything organized and easy to find.

What that suggests is that one could simply have a rig without a galley similar to Wild Mike's Scoutmaster but 48 inches wide and 74 inches long.

http://www.nd.edu/~mstandif/

Coming up with a trailer to exactly match one's needs is where the design fun comes in. Everybody has different needs and ideas.

BTW The 40x48 trailer does have a something out but I haven't decided if it will be a fold, slide, or pop out nor have I determined which side it will extend out of. So many possibilities in this business.
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
DANL
Donating Member

Postby trabant » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:01 am

Dan,

Wenn I build a Cricket It would only be for use on a few weekends. As I visit Trabimeets or just want a weekend out. I also plan to raise the cricket to an height of 5 ft to make a small storage space under the bed possible and that I can sit in the trailer. The trailer will be used as a singlestrailer. For my normal holiday I have a great vintage caravan (a 1971 Belgium build Constructam see my avatar next to the text) that has a bodylength of around 14 feet and a total wheight of 2200lb. That is great wenn you go on al longer trip....

But the small trailer is a real long term project.....

Regards,

Michael
trabant
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:41 pm

Hey DanL,

I know you were really busy the last time I asked... but it's winter now, and things seem to be slowing down everywhere, everywhere but here of course, because people are already starting to get cabin fever.

So the question is, have you had any more time to think about your winter trailer design? :) Might you have something to share with us one of these days?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby DANL » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:56 pm

Slowing down? The only thing slowing down around here is our metabolism. We're expecting 40 below windchills tonight.

Let’s see now. I am currently:
- Just starting my term as treasurer of the Hennepin County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Doing computer consultation and setup
- Teaching Tai Chi at the health club
- Serving as activities coordinator and web dude for our Bike/kayak club (you can see what we’re up to at the link below)
http://www.sunsetlanding.com/snf
- Remodeling the lower level
- Serving as house husband -- my wife still works
- and all those other little things to keep the world spinning

Retirement didn’t turn out to be quite as restful as I expected. I am having fun though.

So, having pretty much run out of excuses, I will scan in some hen scratchings and get back to you tommorow.

BTW this forum is going great. Just when I think folks must have thought every last T&TTT thought, along comes a whole new batch of thoughts. Your effort, and the great input from all of the members, is truly appreciated.
DANL
Donating Member

Postby tdthinker » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:43 pm

I like the thought of having one for my 4 wheeler at my dads farm and woods, bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby WarPony » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:53 pm

DAMMIT!!! Just when I thought I had the direction to walk to........ the Cricket "jumps" into the the fray!!!! My camping gear storage trailer is the same size as DANL's drawings and got me thinking on another line. I REALLY like the side-opening galley because I'm not 100% confident on making a curved, rear hatch that is waterproof without seeing one in person and how it is made and works. The problem is that I need a Cricket for two. I thought about placing the doors in the rear sides with a dropped floor all the way across and the galley up front on the side. Dahhhhhhhhhhh, I'll never sleep until this is done!!! IT NEVER ENDS!!!!!!!
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby tdthinker » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:46 pm

I am thinking of one with skies and tire conversions for all of the conditions, maybe even water tight to cross the creeks when really deep. bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:43 pm

Why use skis when you can put mattracks on them.
http://www.mattracks.com/html/trail-r-mate.htm

I have to be honest, I was reading the other thread about cars that were restricted from driving up Mt Washington. I clicked the url and saw their "snowcoach". I had to check out the mattracks website.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby tdthinker » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:46 pm

those are pretty cool. Those get me wondering, how about a tear that is built like or on one of those amphibious atvs. It wouldnt be street leagal but it would be fun in the woods and such. Also good for free range mountain hikes that arent restricted, I will draw and build a model, hope to have it done tomarrow, bye
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs