My offroad Camper

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby fatehunter1972 » Thu May 03, 2007 2:04 am

Steve

What program do you use to make these drawings?
fatehunter1972
Teardrop Builder

Postby Steve F » Thu May 03, 2007 2:47 am

fatehunter1972 wrote:Steve

What program do you use to make these drawings?

I'm using google sketchup 6.0, quite easy to use once you get the hang of things and it's free. The most important bit is to make each section seperatley so they can be manipulated easily. My chassis is one drawing, the hatch is another (makes it easy to open and close, the Jerry cans are another etc etc. You can download vehicles etc that others have built, I got the wheels from a landrover I found as they were the right size and saved a lot of time.

Here's another revision to cope with external jerry cans but still a little extra internal storage. Also made the door open and added the weather seal style I'll use.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby wa_flyfisher » Fri May 04, 2007 10:38 am

This is the kind of build that I will be following closely. I like the shape of the trailer. Only concern is that the hatch will be to low to stand under.

Have you considered making the part below the counter staying in place with access doors like the Grasshopper trailers? That would gain head room and lighten the hatch up quite a bit.

Like you can kind of see in this photo.
wa_flyfisher
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve F » Fri May 04, 2007 11:52 am

wa_flyfisher wrote:This is the kind of build that I will be following closely. I like the shape of the trailer. Only concern is that the hatch will be to low to stand under.

Have you considered making the part below the counter staying in place with access doors like the Grasshopper trailers? That would gain head room and lighten the hatch up quite a bit.

I did think about that but I think it will be fine, the lowest point is close to 6'4" and I want the hatch to provide some shade etc. I just need to confirm the angle the hurricane hinge will go to, looking at pictures it looks like it wont have a problem going past 90 degrees

After some advice I've also slimmed the trailer frame down chopping 39lbs off of the weight.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby fatehunter1972 » Fri May 04, 2007 3:06 pm

Steve,

I've got the free sketch-up (6) yet your drawings are amazing. If I can produce pictures like that I am going to play with it some more.

Is your sketch-up the free one?

Thanks
fatehunter1972
Teardrop Builder

Postby Steve F » Fri May 04, 2007 7:13 pm

fatehunter1972 wrote:Steve,

I've got the free sketch-up (6) yet your drawings are amazing. If I can produce pictures like that I am going to play with it some more.

Is your sketch-up the free one?

Thanks

Yep it's the free one :)

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby angib » Sat May 05, 2007 10:52 am

Steve F wrote:After some advice I've also slimmed the trailer frame down chopping 39lbs off of the weight.

Yup, I think you're dead right there - the central tongue doesn't do much if there are full-length side tongue members as well. Where there is both, the side members are the shortest path from the coupler to the side walls, so they carry most of the load - the central bit becomes mostly decorative.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Steve F » Thu May 10, 2007 7:42 am

Final design, added a little more to the tongue which adds very little weight but makes me feel more comfortable strength wise. The upper part of the tongue box is accessed internally and the lower part externally (may end up being a battery box)

Used Camec windows 610mm x 450mm and I think they look good and are a decent size. Anyway, the build should start in the next few weeks :)

Here you can see the internal storage above the bed, along with mattress, pillows and covers :)

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Steve F » Thu May 10, 2007 8:54 pm

After looking at the Grasshopper and how close my current style is I had a bit of a play with the profile in paint. I really like this. I could angle the jerry cans to fit under the slope of the nose and have some nice internal storage without building a tongue box. I'm quite tempted to go with this now so will need to spend some more time in front of sketchup. Opinions?

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu May 10, 2007 11:44 pm

:applause: :thumbsup: Steve you have a wonderfully, well thought out plan there. Can't wait to see it done.

“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Steve F » Sat May 12, 2007 3:43 am

Miriam C. wrote::applause: :thumbsup: Steve you have a wonderfully, well thought out plan there. Can't wait to see it done.

Everytime I think I'm done I come up with something else. Luckily for me I have a few weeks before things start and must finish some other projects first, steps to the backyard being the main one :)

Anyway, now I have to decide between my two final designs, they may get tweaked but the basics are there. I'm leaning towards the Grasshopper style with windows on the front (fixed) but not sure how much extra this will add to the complexity of the build and the potential for leaks. I need to confirm there is a straight forward way to install fixed windows (Lexan) that wont leak.

Anyway, the final two.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Sat May 12, 2007 4:16 am

Steve, I like the grasshopper...but they are both very nice...have you seen the window in Joannes Desert Dawg..... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 12, 2007 4:31 am

I like the grasshopper nosed design better. If you're gonna have angles you may as well get rid of that front vertical wall. The front windows are nice too. I had a front window in the escape hatch for a day while I was cutting the hole for the ac. A front window really lets in a lot of light. Very nice!

That angled front wall also gives you a place for additional interior storage.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby apratt » Sat May 12, 2007 11:15 am

I like the G.H. also, the front window is a nice feature. But I would add the 2nd door on the other side. :thumbsup:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Sat May 12, 2007 5:31 pm

I'm with the others on the style choice, the grasshopper is a proven product. I especially agree with Arthur on the second door too, sure beats climbing over a sleeping body in the wee hours of the morning 8)

Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs