Smaller than a Grasshopper... must be a CRICKET

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Smaller than a Grasshopper... must be a CRICKET

Postby DANL » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:14 pm

So I'm sitting around wondering "how small can it get and still be comfortable?"

A few dozen sheets of scratch paper later and Cricket is born. I call it that because it is smaller than a Grasshopper. Dimensions of cabin: 48" wide, 78" long' 48" to 60" high -- depends on how much headroom you want.

Cricket sits on a Harbor Freight or Northern 40" by 48" trailer or, if you choose to build it without the tuck-under wheels, you can use the front six feet of a 4' by 8' folding trailer.

As you can see from the top view, it is a solo rig. A comfortable 28" by 74" foam pad makes for good sleeping. The side galley offers reasonable counter space and storage for the single camper.

Is it practical? Maybe not. But it could be fun. Keep it stocked with whatever you need and hit the road anytime you want.

No fancy wiring or other luxury features. Just enough to get past the level of backpacking. No insulation either. The idea for the Cricket is that you can probably build it from the scraps you have lying around the garage and a few sheets of plywood. The framing is both internal and external and only enough to hold it together safely. Windows are fixed plastic and ventilation is provided by screened awning type wood flaps.

Estimated cost: $200 to $300 minus trailer and foam pad. $160 for the trailer. I've got the pad.

The scraps in my garage are calling to me. I might just do it for the fun of it.

P.S. I think the "suicide" door of the galley will work. Lots of pickup trucks use them for access to the back seats.
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby Nick Taylor » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:58 pm

All you need is a slide out on the right so the bed can be wider. And the cabinets and counter could be accessible from the inside for those midnight snacks.

Nick.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Postby DANL » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:14 am

Don't get me started now, Nick. Next thing you know I'll be adding a second story loft and a wet bar. Hmmm--now that I think about it...

Could have a pop-out on the curb side and access to the galley is just a natural. I was also thinking about having a bi-fold screen door that would fold up against the galley wall. On nice evenings I could just leave the main door open and use the screen door for lots of fresh air. Getting a bit fancier I could have a large wooden awning on the driver side that would lift up to expose a big screen window. I figured I would use one of Grant's hurricane hinges at the top so it could slide forward into a securing slot at the leading edge and screw down at the trailing edge.

There are so many ideas floating around on this forum that I'll never get around to trying them all. Just looking for a little cheap fun.
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
DANL
Donating Member

Postby Larry Messaros » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:07 am

DANL wrote:Don't get me started now, Nick. Next thing you know I'll be adding a second story loft and a wet bar. Hmmm--now that I think about it...

Hmmm, how about a set of pontoons and voila, a mini houseboat! :lol:

Oh, that's right, you've already thought of that. :wink:

There's just something about your AquaTear that keeps me thinking that would be a really cool project to do.
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Nick Taylor » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:27 am

Have you seen the two story teardrop? Thanks to Gage for this photo.

Nick.
Last edited by Nick Taylor on Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Re: Smaller than a Grasshopper... must be a CRICKET

Postby mikeschn » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:52 am

DANL wrote:So I'm sitting around wondering "how small can it get and still be comfortable?"

I'm impressed! That's a good solo design. Reminds me a little bit of the Sequoia from Glenn-L.

Keep the kitchen area open to the inside also, for bad weather access, or to start your pot of coffee in the morning before you get out of bed.

I need it put you to work designing more teardrops and tiny travel trailers that we can build!!!

Good job on this one!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Ken A Hood » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:41 am

This reminded of one that's out west on eBay right now.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Postby DANL » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:33 pm

Wow, Ken. They must have sunk a bucket of money into that unit. It's really nice. Looks like top quality materials and construction throughout. I wonder why they are selling it.

That design seems sort of like a mix of a COMPACT, an ERIBA, and a toy hauler. My only problem with that layout is that my wife wants her own bed. She doesn't want to share a mattress 'cause I tend to flail and roll and flop. Even my cats won't sleep with me. Presents a challenge but I am working on a design she might like. Will post it when its ready.
DANL
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:35 pm

DANL wrote:my wife wants her own bed. She doesn't want to share a mattress 'cause I tend to flail and roll and flop. Even my cats won't sleep with me. Presents a challenge but I am working on a design she might like. Will post it when its ready.

Sounds like bunk beds to me!!! :D

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:01 pm

Hey Danl,
Ok, First there was the Grasshopper...
...Now along comes the Cricket...
...So when are you going to do the Lady Bug? :D

BTW That is one sweet little design!
I like Mike's coment about the modification to get the coffee going in the morning.

We need to let Bob and Cathy know about that EBay trailer up in Canada.
(Might save them a build)

Postby mikeschn » Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:18 pm

I think we need to get DANL designing us a very special teardrop... any ideas for the requirements?

I'm thinking something that would work in the wintertime for two...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:27 pm

regarding design..... what do people do for protecting the back end of the tear? I'm thinking about mounting a 2x6 on the back and painting it silver with some reflective stipes on it....... all that wood back there wouldn't survive a love tap from a car.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Re: Smaller than a Grasshopper... must be a CRICKET

Postby Larry Messaros » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:52 pm

mikeschn wrote:I need it put you to work designing more teardrops and tiny travel trailers that we can build!!!
Mike...

Ah, hah! I knew it! There is no way that Lil' Diner could be your last build. :lol:

Steve, you better warm up the table saw. I think Mike's gonna keep you busy. :wink:
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Postby DANL » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:20 pm

Several topics to respond to here...

Ladybug? Love that name but haven't got a concept yet.

----------

A winter tear? I'm liking that idea. As a Minnesotan, I feel uniquely qualified to address this design challenge. I'll come up with something. Definitely going to need a built in boot scraper and snow shovel storage. And a big closet for lots and lots of fleece and down clothing. We could get more ideas from some of our friends up in the "Great White North" and those of us in the Frost Belt. Should it have a genuine wood burning fireplace, a gas fireplace, or one of those electric jobs with the holographic flames?

----------

Bumper protection for the back end, hey. Probably a good idea but in my case for a different reason. While hand pushing the trailer into its parking spot beside the garage, I have run the back end into the side of the house twice. I might start including bumpers. My main objection to a bumper is that I like to be able to belly right up to the galley counter. That's why my designs tend to have good leg and foot clearance near the counter. This needs some thought.

----------

Gotta go. Need to start sketching the Ladybug.
DANL
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:34 am

Looking forward to seeing that winter tear...

The idea of a fire place, or at least a small wood burning stove sounds neat.... something like this???

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... pic_id=433

Too bad there's too many problems with that...

It looks like an electric fireplace with a thermostadt is more in line...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Next

Return to Member Designs