just for tailgatornut

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

just for tailgatornut

Postby Chip » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:13 pm

Hey tailgate,,what about a 5x10 tear built on a 5x8 trailer,,an 9' long tailate kitchen,,sleeping for a 6 footer, teardrop shape,, semi conventional construction,,you figure out the detaild,,interested????

chip
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:50 pm

Im open for any suggestions. I really dont care for the teardrop shape, not to offend anyone in here but i think they are hideous looking. Sorry :)
Id love to take a look at what ya have in mind though. I have stolen ideas from everyone on this board. There are some real creative people to bounce ideas off of and they are all real helpful
Looking to build the ultimate tailgating machine, anyone help me?
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:02 pm

So tell me tailgator... now that you've had a few weeks to think about this... what do you think of this one?

MIke...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:09 pm

I love that design but htere are a few problems, one is that the shape of it would be way too complex for me to build, would rather stick to something sqaure(ish), shoot id buy one of those if it was for sale!!! The other thingis that the hatch area isnt big enough. I showed my wife that one nad she loved it. I saw a 5'8 cargo trailer that would be perfect to convert was thinking of going that route, hell i dont know i have till next fall to get this finished soooooooooo im open for any suggestions i have a nice folder here with all the ideas printed up. so keep em coming, mike what else can ya come up with. lotsa space on a 4'8 trailer???? 5'8 new is way too much ,oney
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:17 pm

Based on your requirements, this is the only trailer that will work. If you are willing to change your requirements, maybe we can find something else that will do the job.

This requires a lot of soul searching, and paring your wishes down to the bone... give it some thought and tell me, what's the least you can live with...

I'll give you a clue...

You'll notice the propane stove on the left, and the grill on the right... BTW, he's really really tall.... him and his wife fit in there just fine!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

ok here it is

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:19 pm

allamericantailgater.com
check this out
this is where I draw my ideas from. this is what Im looking for,
I really think I could build it much cheaper tehn the 24g price tag this one carries , i also want it a lot smaller
what ya think fellas?
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:22 pm

yeah i figured that. I mopen for any sugestinos whatever
I have thought about jsut turnign the bed of my truck into a tailgate area
with the beds that slide out, could really get creative with that
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:26 pm

You need to think outside the box. The design I came up with will do everything you want, but in a different way than you are used to thinking about...

Sure you can downsize that design further, but you'll give up even more... for example when you downsize, you give up your inside toilet.

You tell me what's important, and we'll come up with a design that works. Just remember, you can't get 10 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound bag.

We've already tried!!!

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Woody » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:35 pm

Whoa!! that tailgater site was something else. My wife would divorce me if I had that. It has everything, I see what you mean that is a hard act to follow. I would like to see one up close if you know what I mean. WOW

Woody
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:47 pm

I was thinking a 5'8 trailer
make the thing 5 feet wide and ten feet long
combforatble sleeping for two
bathroom is not a must
tv/radio/keg/fridge/oven/grill

like it to be a squared of design onlt because when it comes to the bending I think it would be much easier to keep it square. something real simple, i finished my basement and that is the extent of my wood working abilities, but I am willign to jsut dive right in
id like to jsut htat fit 10 pounds into a 5 lb bag as much as psosible, i wnat people to look at this thing nad say , ""thats nice i want one of those" or "thats cool how they fit that thing in ther"
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:49 pm

oh woody, jsut for hte record, my wife is a bigger football nut then i am
she watched the entire eagles gmae last night coming off of a 12 hour day shift then when into work at 3:30 last night

shes a tough sucker!!!!!!! shes a real football wife
gotta love her
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby Woody » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:11 pm

Still I think it could done. those are some big shoes to fill. I Have a 7' x16' covered Pace American covered trailer that this might be alternative use for. I might build my own kegs on wheels tailgater out of it. Just a thought, have you looked into those style of trailers. I have seen them at Home Depot and Lowes. They are smaller but a good base to build on.

Woody
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby TAILGATINGnNUT » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:38 pm

woody are you talking aobut a cargo trailer?????????
TAILGATINGnNUT
Teardrop Master

Postby Laredo » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:28 pm

That site specializes in behemoths, doesn't it?

I drive a real truck and I wouldn't want to haul that thing to a ballgame.

:idea: But if that's really what you want, only cheaper, I would strongly advise you to look for a used travel trailer type of RV on Ebay and then do your own conversion at home -- this time of year people are trying to sell so they don't have to store, repair, etc. With the wants list you posted, a 15 foot tandem axle that "needs a little TLC" ought to be just exactly what the doctor ordered.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Woody » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:53 pm

Yes I was thinking cargo trailer, with a serious retrofit. If you wanted to haul heavy stuff similiar to the trailers on that site. It was a thought, sorry I got caught up in the moment when I saw that site. If you want to build it yourself. Then I would consider a "grasshopper on steriods" design. It has the box (straight lines)you are looking for. I think it could be easily adapted for your needs. Maybe have two hatches on it, one in the front above the tongue for storage ( lightstuff like foodand chairs etc.) and where the galley in the back for the coolers and a large TV, maybe a sink. the keg and bar stock and cup dispeners and ice etc. in the area you would sleep in. Just a thought I would have to draw it up to work out the details. It would really depend on what you wanted it to contain to build it right.

Woody
Woody
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next