"Rocketear" with cardboard mockup

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

"Rocketear" with cardboard mockup

Postby doug hodder » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:53 pm

yeah...yeah...I know...it's not done with cad...but I build a ton of stuff with less than this, and you can't get any old school drafting supplies anymore..., but here is... what I roughed out...4' 6" x 10 on a trailer for 2 profile...6" rise for the pullman style roof, which tapers to a point at the front, 2' overall width on it, a hidden Fantastic fan in the aft end...didn't post the front view, still working on that...fenders are the Delux ones from Grant with skirts...all the dark gray items are raised 1" on the body...for the 3D effect and 2 tone paint...dark charcoal metallic on a light silver metallic...base/clear...taillights are 59 Caddie's...but I need to turn a front bullet on the lathe...they will be mounted on a short wing protruding from the body...I wanted a trailer that was really different, but didn't want to sacrifice any usability in it...that's why I stayed with a standard profile...and I wanted to be able to build it by next summer...for the raised portions..I plan on using Rocklite..a product used in the sign industry, lightweight, machines really well and will hold up...it will all be covered in epoxy, and bondo where necessary. I wanted portholes, but couldn't find any that had a swing out option with a screen, and any porthole is way expensive, especially if it is offical marine stuff...small dots along the edges are vinyl 1/4" dia charcoal gray to simulate rivits...the whole goal was a vintage space travel deco type theme....Doug

Last edited by doug hodder on Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby asianflava » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:03 am

That is so cool, I can't wait to see it. I'm not a fan (at all) of fender skirts or covered wheels but those would work with your design.

Whatever you decide to build will be a true gem, especially coming form a master such as yourself.

Don't have any projects lined up right now but, I will just keep hacking away at some wood, turning perfectly good wood into chips and dust.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:06 am

Dayum Doug...that is pretty fine drawing there..I think your concept is coming together nicely...total tear convenience with that rocketear/buck rogers look...it will be killer...but where are the ray-gun ports ;)
madjack 8)
p.s. don't worry about the pencil-cad...I still use it myself..A LOT
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Kevin A » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:09 am

COOL design, you gonna get a customized 59 caddy to tow it with? :thumbsup: 8)
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby doug hodder » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:13 am

The other thing that isn't shown or mentioned is an Olds Rocket 88 hood ornament that will sit atop the raised roof at the front...haven't found what I want yet...and didn't want to walk on Deans idea...he had it first...and Kevin...you know I have a 59 Rambler...now with a 2bbl carb rebuilt...just not mounted....:oops: I think it will be a good looking combo...both the tear and car are corny looking.... Doug :lol:
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:25 am

Kevin A wrote:COOL design, you gonna get a customized 59 caddy to tow it with? :thumbsup: 8)

Hey Kev,
That's a far cry from a Rambler. :lol:
Does look cool though... $> $> $>

Doug,
That's lookin' SAAAAWEEEEET!!! :thumbsup:
I'm keepin' my eye out for yaa on finding the right hood ornament. :SG
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby doug hodder » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:38 am

Good point on the ports Jack....I'm thinking I might try to find some old Buick cast pieces, you know that 3 hole look...I think it was 3...anyway... and incorporate them onto the side...the sides might look funky, but it will all be 3 demensional, just how much depends on how much time I spend sitting in a chair in the garage staring at it...Doug
Last edited by doug hodder on Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Gage » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:47 am

You mean something like this?

Have a good day.

:lol:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:53 am

Pretty close Gage...and hey...it's being pulled by a Rambler to boot!!, however I think my Rambler has more style to it, just my opinion...so what other pics do you have in that bag?...I wanna see a 50 Modernistic being pulled by a 49 Kaiser!!! I'll bet a lot of people don't know what a Kaiser looked like....seems like you have everything...thanks for posting that one... :thumbsup: Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Kevin A » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:56 am

doug hodder wrote:Good point on the ports Jack....I'm thinking I might try to find some old Buick cast pieces, you know that 3 hole look...I think it was 3...anyway... and incorporate them onto the side...the sides might look funky, but it will all be 3 demensional, just how much depends on how much time I spend sitting in a chair in the garage staring at it...Doug

Doug,

Ya know, if I remember correctly, I believe the Buicks had 3 holes for the six cylinder models and 4 holes for the V-8 models.

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby doug hodder » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:59 am

So 3 would be for me...the Rambler has 196 cu in...a mighty 6...but what did the straight 8's have, or was that before the holes? But you know what Kevin...a Hudson Hornet with twin H power would be the ideal tow rig for this tear...but it's gotta have a visor on it.....doug
Last edited by doug hodder on Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Kevin A » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:00 am

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:15 am

Thinkin' outside the box as always. I'm sure I speak for all board members, waiting for the pict's as you progress.
You da man! :thumbsup:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby norm perkiss » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:46 am

doug,
maybe you could use these windows?
http://www.dmtears.com/
norm perkiss
Gold Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:40 am

they would be great, but since they build their own windows and trailers, I'll bet it's doubtful that they would sell a pair...but I'll try...Thanks...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Next

Return to Member Designs