my teardrop

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

my teardrop

Postby richlowndes » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:33 am

here are some pictures of my teardrop.

i'm from the UK - we don't really have teardrops over here- i've only ever seen one.

i designed and built it from scratch. i finished it in august. it is 8ft long by 4 foot wide (small enough for england's roads!), and has a double bed in the front section and a kitchen at the back. the kitchen includes a cooker (2 hobs and a grill), a 12/240v 28 litre fridge, a sink with electric water pump. there is loads of cupboard space and there is a sony cd player with 6X9s in the back too which sounds great.
inside there's a light, a tv and a large cupboard above the bed. there isn't a window yet, but i've got a yacht porthole to put in when i get round to it. i'm hopefully also going to make the bed so that it folds into chairs and there'll be a table inside.

kitchen:

better pictures to come soon!
Last edited by richlowndes on Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richlowndes
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:45 am

That looks good Rich. Hey, you gotta take that over and show Angib... he's been designing teardrops for a while, but I don't know if he's even seen one yet!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby richlowndes » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:48 am

who's angib?
where abouts does he live!?

cheers mate

rich
richlowndes
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:05 pm

who's angib?

That'll be me.

where abouts does he live!?

Newcastle Upon Tyne

What's the ground clearance on your trailer - it looks really small - but maybe I've been hanging round these Merkans too long and I'm getting used to everything being huge....

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby richlowndes » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:35 pm

hey angib,

yeah it is quite small- about 4 inches at its lowered point i think. it does hit the ground at the front going out of our driveway, but in normal driving it's fine. i designed it so it has quite a lot of forward rake and looks really low- because i tend to drive really low volkswagens and it had to have the same stance.

what does your trailer look like- if you've got one?

Rich

by the way those are 10" mini wheels if that gives you some sense of scale.
richlowndes
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:46 pm

Rich wrote:what does your trailer look like- if you've got one?

Nope - my interest is in the design of trailers.
Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby richlowndes » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:01 pm

are you going to build one then?

the reasons behind my designs were as follows:

8foot by 4foot: because i thought this would be quite large enough to fit two people in comfortably. i didn't want it to be any bigger than this because i thought it would be a waste of space. as it is, it is dead easy to tow, and is narrower than the car, which makes it a doddle going through tight gaps such as in cornwall.

the positioning of the wheels was not much more than an educated guess. i tried to take into account battery weight and the mass of the kitchen stuff- fridge, gas bottle, cupboards, water tank, etc. as it happens it is really well balanced, with a bit of nose weight. you can just about sit on the kitchen cupboards without it tipping. it tows really well, and you can sit at 80 quite happily. crosswinds aren't too much of a problem either.

i really wanted it to have curved sides, rather than right angles where the roof meets the chassis. i achieved this by fitting the sides onto the edge of the chassis, and the sides overhang the chassis quite a lot. it's really to make it look better, but it has the added advantage that i can put a footwell in at some point in the future.

the bed is 6 foot 8 long, and exactly 4ft wide inside. there are wheel arches inside, which narrow the width between the wheels to 3'6'' but that's where your feet go so it doesn't make a real difference. i did it like that again to improve looks- i don't like it when the wheels stick out miles from the chassis. on mine the wheels do stick out from the chassis a little, but only inches.

apparently with curved teardrops there can be a real problem with wind getting underneath the trailer at speed and the whole thing lifting. this is not the case with mine because the drawbar is really short- only 70cm so the body of the trailer sits really close behind the car.

i'll scan a copy of the chassis soon and post on here.

rich
richlowndes
Teardrop Inspector

Postby beverlyt » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:22 pm

Rich,
What do you think your little teardrop weighs?

Nice job...it's fine! Mine is also a 4' wide tear... but with insulation the mattress is about 45" wide. Would have liked a little more room, but also was looking for something extremely light and small.

Bev
beverlyt
500 Club

Postby richlowndes » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:56 pm

hey bev - i have absolutely no idea what it weighs! sorry. at a guess i would go for 350kg but i don't know what that's based on!

my chassis was 4foot wide, and the sides are attached onto the side of that. there's no insulation (yet anyway) so the bed is exactly 4foot wide (but narrower between the wheel arches)

yours looks cool in the photo.

by the way, i think that my teardrop is quite big by uk standards, not that they really exist here! but our cars and roads are about half the size of yours! my next car is gonna be an early 60s bug, so anything too big and it would struggle to tow it.

cheers

Rich
richlowndes
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nick Taylor » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:48 pm

Rich,

Welcome aboard! Your trailer looks really cool. I like the tucked in wheels. Europe does have a history of teardrops and other tiny caravans. If you haven't already, check out this web site.

http://www.trikes.freeserve.co.uk/irom/list.htm. It is the International Register of Microcaravans.

My trailer as seen below is 4x4x9 1/2 feet. The bed is about 46" wide by 6'4" long. Never had a problem with lift on this one or the one I had before but my car is shaped so that the trailer is mostly blocked from the wind. My previous trailer had a flatter front and a shorter tongue but I haven't noticed any difference in towing, if anything, this one seems to be more stable.

Nick.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Return to Member Designs