TEARDROPS HAVE CURVES

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:24 pm

angib wrote:A couple of points on your profile:

- By using a 96" radius for the back, it doesn't reach the horizontal at the front and so there is a sharp kink between the front and back curves.

- The front radius gives you that classic aerofoil look, but you lose 24" of floor length, which is now only 72" long including the galley. Of course a bit higher up you have quite a bit more length, but it means you need an odd shape to the mattress (out with the electric carving knife...).

If you reduce the rear radius to 78", the curve goes horizontal as it meets the front curve, so there is no kink between them.

If you switched to a 48" radius for the front bottom, you lose only 6 3/8" of floor length.

Andrew
just a repost
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Senior Ninja » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:36 am

We wanted a traditional trailer so we made it four by eight. I'm six three and two hundred plus. My wife is half my weight and a good foot shorter. We find the inside plenty roomy for sleeping.
One more thing, we have four inches of insulating foam under four inches of soft foam. The soft foam is wrapped with a mattress pad making it look like a custom sized mattress.
Finally, we left the back open enough to allow us to slide the bed out the back. Makes it really easy to change the sheets and make up the rest of the bed.
I guess it's all in what you find comfortable. We love ours.
Steve
Building the TD was the best thing I ever made.
Senior Ninja
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Member Designs