Does Size Really Matter, I need your opinion?

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Does Size Really Matter, I need your opinion?

Postby RichAFix » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:11 pm

My tear will be 5' wide, so I am thinking I could go to 5' high also (having to buy 5' wide aluminum for the top, might as well get it for the sides also). I want this to be relatively light though and I really like the sleeker looking designs, so my question is "does interior height really matter?" Obviously we will not be able to stand regardless of what we do, and my wife and I are not tall people (5'8" and 5'6") so is the interior height really that important? I want the interior walls to be wood, so thinking 4' high max. for the interior may be best to avoid a seam and since I want the exterior aluminum to cover the frame I would need the 5' aluminum on the sides, unless I make the exterior height 4', but that only gives us about 40"-42" of headroom. Is that enough? Also, does a seam on the wood skin (underneath the aluminum) decrease the strength? If I go to 5' tall do I need 5' wood or can I put a seam with compromising the strength? Please look at the attached photo and let me know your thoughts (this is my first time posting a picture, so I hope this works). Sorry for the rambling.

-------------------------------------------------------
Listen to what I'm thinking, not what I'm saying.
RichAFix
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:16 pm

RichAFix,

What is your tow vehicle?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RichAFix » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:23 pm

We have a PT Cruiser and a Dodge Dakota. Truth is the Dakota is going on 13 years old, so it will need to be replaced soon. I will most likely get a mini van or some type of SUV at that point. I don't think I would use the Cruiser to pull a teardrop, although I have seen plenty of pictures showing it, I don't know if that little 4 cylinder could pull even a 4x8 very well and if it did I am sure our stellar 15-18 miles to the gallon would drop even lower. Even with the truck or an SUV, I don't want a real heavy trailer.
RichAFix
Teardrop Master

Postby Jst83 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:34 pm

I sat down and put a little mark on the wall then added a couple inches to get my inside height. My ceiling is only 45" inside and I'm 6' and don't feel at all cramped. So I think 4' would be more than enough inside or outside.
Added thought I guess what is most inportant is the profile you like 4' or 5' height it's what you like that matters .

Just my thoughts, :shake hands: And Welcome RichAFix
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:51 pm

I guess the better question is, what do you plan on towing it with most of the time. If it's the PT cruiser, build it 4' high on the outside.

If you buy a mini-van, you can build it 5' high on the outside.

A 4' high teardrop is comfortable enough to sleep in, and sit up in if you're average height.

If you want a table you'll have to increase the height significantly, and/or add a dropped floor.

If you want to stand up in it, then you'll want to consider something like a Winter Warrior.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby RichAFix » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:01 pm

I guess I never really considered towing it with the Cruiser, we will always have a different vehicle that would be very capable (I do enough woodworking that I will always need something that can haul a full sheet of plywood). As for a table, not really a requirement either. I just worry that an interior height of 42"ish may feel a bit crowded.
RichAFix
Teardrop Master

Postby Jst83 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:09 pm

How did you come up with 42" for the inside height? I couldn't tell from your pics.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:11 pm

Welcome
We sat Mike down and measured the needed height if he was no his knees. He is 6'1". Now, my trailer is 6'4" wide so I needed the 5' height to look right.

Best is what fits you best :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby RichAFix » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:22 pm

I am just figuring with the height of the trailer frame (as I want the aluminum sides to cover the trailer frame), the thickness of the floor and the thickness of the ceiling I would loss about 6 or so inches. Do I have to worry about strength issues if I go taller than 4' because a seam in the plywood? I also want this as light as possible, even with a capable tow vehicle, I don't want to lug around too much weight and I really want refrigerator/stove/sink so I am already worried about weight. If a few inches in height doesn't cause strength (due to the seam when I go taller than 48") and weight issues, it seems like a pretty simple solution to just go a bit taller, but I really like the shortest look if it isn't going to be too claustropobic.
RichAFix
Teardrop Master

Postby Leon » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:33 pm

On mine I cover the frame (2"), 3/4" floor, and 1 1/2" ceiling, so I end up with about 43 1/2 to 43 3/4" which is plenty of room for us. I'm 6' and Sharon and I sit inside when it's raining without any trouble. The extra that you gain may not be worth the extra drag and weight.
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:34 pm

RichAFix wrote:I am just figuring with the height of the trailer frame (as I want the aluminum sides to cover the trailer frame), the thickness of the floor and the thickness of the ceiling I would loss about 6 or so inches. Do I have to worry about strength issues if I go taller than 4' because a seam in the plywood? I also want this as light as possible, even with a capable tow vehicle, I don't want to lug around too much weight and I really want refrigerator/stove/sink so I am already worried about weight. If a few inches in height doesn't cause strength (due to the seam when I go taller than 48") and weight issues, it seems like a pretty simple solution to just go a bit taller, but I really like the shortest look if it isn't going to be too claustropobic.

2 things:

1. If you want the AL to cover the frame, then you don't have to have the sides cover it. Set the sidewalls on top of the fram and let AL run down over the outside.

2. If that does not work. Just build the walls of sandwich construction with 3/4" framing and ridgid insulation, 1/4" outside plywood and 1/8" inside skin. As long as all of this is adhered properly, your wall should be plenty strong. Remember that your bulkheads and roof spars will add alot the to strength. When done, it will be one solid box.

See Steve Frederick's website or the Lil'Diner construction threads for more on how to do this.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:34 pm

Rich, I am 6'2 and worried about that as well and considered the 5' height but stuck with the 4'...if it where 5' tall, I don't know what I would do with extra height beside heat and cool it...our sides come down over the 2" frame and the ceiling is 1.5"s with a 5' foam mattress and a 1/2" floor which leaves you 39"s and there is wayyyy adequate headroom....build 4', save the money and bye yourself a purdy geegaw :D ...my .02cts...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:07 pm

Rich,

Since you are a CAD designer, grab a mannequin and pop it into your design.

Andrew is the man with the mannequins. Send him an email...

If you want to contact him, e-mail angib (at) blueyonder.co.uk replacing (at) with @, of course!
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Member Designs