My offroad Camper

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Postby Steve F » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:22 am

greekspeedoman wrote:Steve,

Great awning!

I love watching your progress. I, too, have wanted to add a rooftop tent. I build my trailer with mounting points in the walls. However, I have one problem.

How do you plan to work your roof vent with the tent on top of the trailer?

I can't figure this one out yet. It would be nice to use both.

Mark

I installed a lower profile vent so I could at least open it a little, the RTT wont be on there all the time though. Anyway, mounted the tent today and pulled it out just to check stability and to check it out. On the weekend I'll set it all up with tent, annex, awning etc.

The tent also has the covered entrance over the ladder but I didn't bother with that either. I'm very pleased with the outcome and I can still lift the tongue easily enough so it hasn't added too much weight up front.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby schaney » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:45 am

Steve, looks like the spare bedroom is going to work out nicely.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby Steve F » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:03 am

Got more stuff to mount on the roof :)

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby Steve F » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:07 am

Mounted the solar panel, it slides off after undoing 4 bolts but I'll see how it goes on the roof initially.

The pic also shows my portable 30W panel that I have on the roof at the moment just to keep the battery topped up before I go away at Easter.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby zelix » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:13 am

WOW... I've followed your build from the beginning. I really like your trailer. It looks like exactly what I need for my family. I've decided to take the plunge and build one. I will incorporate a lot of your ideas. I will also put my [home made] RTT on mine.

If you don't mind I have a few questions.

Is there anything you would have done differently to your trailer? I know you've camped in it a couple of times now.

Do you have a propane tank?
What size ice chest can you carry?
zelix
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve F » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:38 am

Nothing I'd do different, I would like to finish the kitchen though and trim the underside of the hatch but that's not anything different just not done :)

I don't have propane but do have a fridge, it's 50lt Waeco and lives in the back of the Jeep, it will fit in the kitchen on the bench but I prefer to park the TD and then go explore in the Jeep and have the food and drink with me.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby zelix » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:53 pm

Steve F wrote:Nothing I'd do different, I would like to finish the kitchen though and trim the underside of the hatch but that's not anything different just not done :)

I don't have propane but do have a fridge, it's 50lt Waeco and lives in the back of the Jeep, it will fit in the kitchen on the bench but I prefer to park the TD and then go explore in the Jeep and have the food and drink with me.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a fridge so I'll have to keep an ice chest in mind while designing. I will have a propane tank also. I might put that on the tongue.

Will your solar provide enough power to charge up a laptop?
zelix
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve F » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:02 pm

That large panel was putting out over 3A in dappled light at 3:00pm on a winters day. It should be able to put out around 20AH on a reasonable day (5 hours of sun) on a good day a lot more. Not sure what the requirements of a laptop are but I would guess it would charge it without too much trouble.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:56 am

That is totally awesome! Your camper sleeps 5 easily Kids separate from the adults. Perfect. Where does the ladder stow?
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Steve F » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:29 am

StandUpGuy wrote:That is totally awesome! Your camper sleeps 5 easily Kids separate from the adults. Perfect. Where does the ladder stow?

See the lump on the top of the tent when it's stowed, that's the ladder. It pulls out and doubles as the lever to unfold the tent and pack it away again :)

Also, it'll actually sleep six comfortably, the RTT is a double bed, 2 in the TD and 2 in the annex :)

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby StandUpGuy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:06 am

Really cool!
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jeprovo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:51 pm

I am really impressed with your build!
:thumbsup:
jeprovo
Donating Member

Postby Steve F » Mon May 23, 2011 6:40 am

Forgot to put up some pics of it all setup :) There is a 167W Solar panel on the roof behind the tent, secure and kept the battery nicely charged.

Cheers
Steve
Steve F
The 300 Club

Postby jstrubberg » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:33 pm

Steve;

Have you uploaded your design anywhere? I'd love to start with what you have done here for my off road Hilton.
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Outstanding!

Postby gibby » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi Steve:

I realize it may be a little late to chime in; I just saw you build thread today.

I have visited and joined a number of camping trailer sites and have to say that few people have put forth the effort in sharing their build experience the way you have.

Thanks much, for making the effort to share with us and Well Done on an outstanding trailer.

I have been researching build threads and accumulating what I need to get my project underway and seeing your build has strengthened my resolve to make it happen.

jeff

P.S. I enjoyed a few beer as I read through your build. Cheers!!!!
gibby
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Member Designs