Trying not to re-invent the wheel

Did you just design your very own teardrop or tiny trailer? Want to discuss it? Here's the place to post your design for discussion!

Trying not to re-invent the wheel

Postby bug_power » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:26 am

I have been lurking that past week or so after seeing a Teardrop for sale. I've got a VW Golf TDI and want to cruise around on my summers spearfishing and surfing the coast. I'm a teacher BTW that's why I have my summers off. Well when I'm not working on my Masters :) My goal is a quick assembly like the weekender, but with an A/C unit. No my problem is I'd really like to keep it 8' long. I've got a 22"x22'X46" cooler that will be in the rear storage with a slide off rear section. I'd like to put a 12x12x15 AC unit in the back shelf and use the rest of the shelf for outdoor storage. I played around with Google's 3d program and designed something like I'd like, but I'm afraid it crashed when I tried to import an window unit. Can anyone point me in the direction for some weekend assembly plans so I can get on the road ASAP. I've got a HF 4x8 trailer all ready to go!

BTW I've been reading and lost of people are welding up the HF trailers to make them one piece. Do you guys know they come with carriage bolts now that bolt them to the frame and make it solid? I put mine together following the manufactures directions then wondered what all the excess bolts were. Come to find out the bolt down the rear section of the frame. Shouldn't be any need for welding it solid once you get a 3/4 piece of plywood on top.
bug_power
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kankujoe » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:38 am

I believe that part of the reason for welding is to prevent nuts/bolts from working loose from road vibration over time and another big reason it to make sure the whole frame is grounded for electrical purposes.

BTW, welcome to the forum... there are lots of helpful & knowledgeable people here.
Joe

Ad-ven-ture: 1. an undertaking involving risk, unforeseeable danger, or unexpected excitement. 2. an exciting or remarkable experience. Trav-el-er: 1. one who seeks to experience their world. 2. one who seeks to be immersed in other cultures.
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveler

Postby asianflava » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:04 am

It isn't necessary to weld the frame together, but doing so gives some peace of mind. It does prevent having bad grounds, in the electrical wiring (if you use the frame as ground).

When desigining your a/c make shure you account for proper intake, exhaust, and condensation collection/drainage.

One more thing, don't be mislead by the "Weekender" moniker. although it may be a faster build, it will still take a little while to build (depending on how much detail you go to)

Oh yes, welcome to the forum. Hopefully, we can meet at one of the gatherings in the future.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bug_power » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:10 pm

The AC will be vented out the back. I have a aluminum vent that will go on the side of the TTT and the box frame for it will be oversized about 2 or 3" on each side. The unit will also only be operated with the rear lid open. I wanted to stay with the 8' so I didn't have to biscuit join the sides, that's just about the only tool I don't have. I'm pretty handy though. You can see some of my other projects like some boats I built with my students in Math class (12' row boats) and a BBQ pit I welded up.
http://www.TexasSpearFishing.com
bug_power
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:00 pm

Welcome BP. 8) Wonderful pictures, especially the fish. You can get a full discription of the weekender at: Weekender plans]

There are lots of other weekenders finished with pictures of the build. Use the search above to find them.

Enjoy
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Tear Les » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:01 pm

bug_power wrote:The AC will be vented out the back. I have a aluminum vent that will go on the side of the TTT and the box frame for it will be oversized about 2 or 3" on each side. The unit will also only be operated with the rear lid open. I wanted to stay with the 8' so I didn't have to biscuit join the sides, that's just about the only tool I don't have. I'm pretty handy though. You can see some of my other projects like some boats I built with my students in Math class (12' row boats) and a BBQ pit I welded up.
http://www.TexasSpearFishing.com

Hi...and welcome! :wine party:

You don't have to biscuit join the sides if you go longer than 8 feet. If you've seen Bolger or Payson boats you can just slap fiberglass over the joint; it's stonger than the wood substrate then (Payson does dish it out some so it doesn't stand so proud). You can also use a Bolger-esque butt block...they work fine. You can also scarf with sloping edges or do a lap joint like Steve Frederickson (http://www.campingclassics.com); he has lots of great building tips there and a wonderful Builder's Manual available.

It really depends on how much room you need. If you want an 80" long bed and a 22" cooler crosswise in the back that's pretty tough in 8 feet. I looked hard at the Weekender (my wife isn't as crazy about the angular lines as I am) and think it's a great design. All the drawings are on Mike's main site (http://www.mikenchell.com) or do a search (from the top of every page) for Weekender and you'll come up with a few threads on it.
Les Lampman
Tear Les
Teardrop Master

Postby Mike C. » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:37 pm

bug_power,

I am new here too, but welcome to the group.

I searched weekender designs and it looks like Mike Schn has both a CAD drawing and cortona file.

See the following:

http://www.mikenchell.com/images/finalw ... kender.wrl

http://www.parallelgraphics.com/products/cortona/

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby bug_power » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:56 pm

It helps that I'm 5'7". I've figured about 23" from the rear of the trailer then layed down. I don't plan on a full length bed, but making one to fit the size of the interior. I've decided to just bite the bullet and make the weekender as planned on the site. I just wanted to get a jump on it today, but it's been raining cats and dogs all day so that plan went out the window. Now it's let up I'm headed to the store to pick up some wood and a joiner.
bug_power
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Alphacarina » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:28 am

I joined not long before you - The folks here are very helpful . . . . if you find a trailer you like, contacting the builder will get you all sorts of ideas

I was pointed to this site as a source of free plans - I'm going to build my version of the Grumman 2

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/teardrop/tear00.htm

If you want a totally enclosed A/C unit, you really need to look over John's set of photos - Simply brilliant the way he has ducted the hot air in and out

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=191882&highlight=#191882

Adding another foot or 18 inches doesn't necessarily involve much joinery of the sides, especially if the extra is at the rear - You'll just be adding a little triangle, maybe 18 by 24 inches, depending on the slope of the rear hatch - Nothing you'll need a biscuit joiner to do. I'm going all the way out to 10 feet on mine. Just be glad you've already decided on 4 feet wide - Going wider involves all sorts of problems . . . . unless you had a cheap source of oversized plywood sheets :x

If you're closely following the Weekender plans, not all of this will appy to you . . . . but the ideas will help get you thinking 'out of the box' ;)

Good luck with your design!

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:02 am

Heh heh I'm in Ocean Springs right now. Getting ready to head home though. If you see a teardrop behind a gold truck, it's me.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Return to Member Designs